And so it's goodbye from him...

Been nice talking you off and on over the years, chaps, but this is goodbye.  My 2012 Skoda Superb has not been superb at all and so I'm finally getting rid of the dog.  Here are some of the things I've had to pay considerable dollar for, in addition to servicing and wear-and-tear items:

• New clutch
  • New DMF
  • New clutch slave cylinder
  • New electric window regulator (the window just dropped into the door frame)
  • New xenon headlight
  • Replacement of the thermostat housing (it still leaks coolant)
  • Lots of oil

• It also locked me out of the car the other day with the keys inside
  • Central locking on the petrol flap failed ages ago

These have all happened in the 49000 miles I've done since picking the car up 4 years ago at 30000 miles.

I'm retiring soon so have "downsized" to a Peugeot 2008. Not as classy but hopefully not as expensive.

Good luck to you all!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear that @Noddy90  You have had your fair share of expense by the sound of it, and I would say most of these shouldn't have happened with your mileage.

I have also had a few gremlins that has tainted the Superb ownership as folks may have read on here....  failed Haldex pump despite scheduled maintenance, and clutch slave cylinder and new clutch, car has recently turned 55K

Oddly enough we have just bought a 2008 for my wife to replace her ageing Focus, seems a very comfortable machine and reasonable value.  It has some upmarket features that the Superb doesn't have so it just shows you can get decent bang for your buck!

With 2008 ownership I have just logged on to the 2008 Owners Club Forum....not for the sake of being in an 'owners club' but I always find the forums are great for reading up on things to be aware of and problems solved, might see you over there !

I should add that I hope to have the Skoda a while yet so I will still be lurking around here too...

Cheers
Dave

Edited by TasMan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the best wishes, guys. 

It all started so well when I bought my first Superb II in 2012. That car lasted me over 3 years without a problem. It seems like my second one might have been a "Friday afternoon" car... 

You always remember your most recent experience, though, and on the basis of that, I'll never buy another Skoda. 

Adios, chaps. 

@Noddy90 Sorry to hear about your problems and hope the 2008 fares well - the latest EAT6 &8 auto gearboxes are fab.

I've had very few issues with three Skodas thus far including my current 2014 1.4tsi Superb - although with that poverty S model there is less to go wrong!

Edited by bigjohn

3 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

Ditto. Imagine having to fork out to replace a xenon headlight unit 🤮

Due to my highish mileage (circa 16k miles/year) simplicity was part of my purchase decision and has been since I had to tame my potentially heavy long term commute expenses when I  started at my current place of work 27 years ago! I also buy cars with higher profile tyres (likewise usually poverty spec) which are cheaper and can last much much longer and  I prefer cars at the end of the model life as usually any dodgy design issues have been designed out and they are generally much cheaper.

• Like 2

Totally with you on all that. Hence my 2014 1.6 Mk2 which up until recently was on 205 55 16's. However there was an offer I couldn't refuse on a set of 17' wheels, so upgraded. The thing is, the Superb is pretty nicely specced at S level anyway. Enough for my needs.

• Like 1

You could possibly argue that with the clutch but not the other stuff. 

My first Superb was also re-mapped but had none of these issues...