Cruise control operation on new Superb

Morning Folks

I'm about to order a new Superb SEL Estate iV, to replace my 2015 Octavia 2.0TDi DSG Elegance Estate. On the Octavia I specified the MFSW with paddles. To be honest, although it's been interesting & fun to have them, I've not used the paddles very much, particularly as I have hand controls on my car. However, I do use the cruise control a lot, viz. the radio volume up/down buttons to a) set my speed and then b) make minor speed adjustments up or down. 

Question: Is the ability to make minor speed changes on the new Superb - which unlike my Octy, has the cruise control on a separate stalk - dependent on having the MSFW? Or can you alter your cruising speed using the same buttons on the standard wheel? I'm honestly not sure, and neither is my sales guy at Marshall Skoda in Oxford. I had a test run in an iV last week with a mate who has a Mk3 vRS - he drove, as it didn't have hand controls - but we forgot to test this...

Any advice really appreciated... I need to place the order today!

TIA

Best

Colin 

My mate has just reminded me that you set the cruising speed using the button on the end of the - on my Octy - the indicator stalk... on his vRS, it's on the separate stalk. But I'm pretty sure I'm right about making minor speed corrections using the radio buttons... Or am I? Haven't driven the Octavia for 2-3 weeks due to illness... am I confusing the radio buttons on the MFSW with the buttons on the end of the indicator stalk? Will check after work...

Hi Colin, welcome to the forum :thumbup:

The spec here would indicate the SE L still has the MFSW and the car should still have the separate ACC stalk, on the LH side below the main light/indicator stalk (unless there's a spec change that I'm completely unaware of)

https://www.skoda.co.uk/new-cars/superb/hatch-se-l

You can nudge the ACC stalk up/down which increases/reduces speed in 5mph increments.  Pushing it forward disables ACC and pulling back engages ACC.  Pushing the stalk forward till it 'locks' turns the system off.  There's no buttons on the MFSW to control ACC.  Pulling the stalk towards you will set ACC at the speed you're doing when you pull the stalk or you can nudge the whole stalk up/down in advance of pulling the stalk and that will give you the chance to pre-set the ACC speed (5mph increments)

It might be worth getting this post on the Superb III board as you're more likely to get some info from a member with the same model year/spec.  (I've flagged the post so the mods will hopefully move it to the S3 board)

Apologies in advance if I've got my info wrong.  I'm basing it on my own S3 and the linked spec sheet.  

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2018 TDI DSG Superb, also fitted with hand controls, and what Penguin17 says is correct.

The ACC is on a separate stalk, below the lights/indicator stalk, with nothing for the ACC on the MFSW.

Like yourself I use the ACC a lot, it soon became second nature to adjust my speed by nudging the ACC stalk either up or down as required (once I'd stopped indicating and flashing my headlights because I got the wrong stalk! 😁)

I currently drive three different cars, all with ACC and I probably drive 500 miles a week using ACC. If there was one thing I wish manufacturers would standardise it is the control stalks for cruise settings. I regularly get myself in a muddle between the three different systems that I use. The Skoda stalk control is my least favourite as it is too easy to switch off ACC completely when pushing the stalk away to pause, and why the 1mph up and 1mph down adjustments are done a different way completely different defies logic.   Having said that the Skoda ACC radar is by far the best overall on the cars that I drive and doesn't suffer from the latency that other systems do. 

FWIW I drove the Skoda Suberb IV Estate yesterday (Marshall Skoda Business Demonstrator)  in SEL trim and its a very nice place to be - the cruise control stalk for ACC is as the posts above.

13 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

@penguin17 & @nicknorman are fully right for +/- 5 mph (10 km/h in metric system) and +/-1 mph (+/- 1km/h) increments.

Thus for most of the time, with a DSG, you can 'almost' drive without touching the throttle pedal.

Well I think with ACC you can drive without touching the throttle pedal, at least on motorways /dual carriageways etc

On 03/03/2020 at 17:32, Martind511 said:

FWIW I drove the Skoda Suberb IV Estate yesterday (Marshall Skoda Business Demonstrator)  in SEL trim and its a very nice place to be - the cruise control stalk for ACC is as the posts above.

This will be a little pedantic, but I have a feeling you didn’t drive a Superb IV but a Superb iV.

A completely new Superb is more than likely still a long ways off.

30 minutes ago, kriva said:

This will be a little pedantic, but I have a feeling you didn’t drive a Superb IV but a Superb iV.

A completely new Superb is more than likely still a long ways off.

Indeed, I stand corrected 😞