Lane assist and traffic sign assist malfunctioning

I’m a happy owner of a superb Iii Facelift sport line Tdi dsg. around 5K miles. 

seems that my lane and traffic sign camera is malfunction tin. Like each 3 days, after starting the car and driving for 2 or 3 minutes I get a warning that both systems stopped working. If I switch the ignition off and on, and activate both system again on the menu, they work perfect.

it Bugs me that it stops working, and the annoying bit of having to activate them again on the menu.

its a common issue? 

(I know, bring it to the dealer... but I have no replacement car and I can not waste a workday morning...)

Can be a number of reasons for this. The ADAS system works by a combination of Radar in the bumper and Camera in the windscreen. The windscreen camera tends to be pretty robust and capable of handling various road conditions and weather. Part of the reason for this is that the window wipers keep the area in front of the camera clean. The Radar in the bumper is more sensitive to dirt etc. It has even been reported that if a resprayed bumper has a layer of too thick paint that the radar will act up. It is calibrated while the bumper is clean and a thick layer of dirt, snow, heavy rain etc etc can impact on its effectiveness. 

The Radar in the bumper cares mostly for distance to car in front etc, so it impacts on the emergency braking and distance control during cruise control operation. 

The camera is used for lane departure, traffic sign rec, and for tracking pedestrians while driving slow for emergency braking. 

Figuring out the cause of the intermittent problem is going to be the headache here. It could be as simple as dirt over the radar. It has to be kept pretty clean. Also if the car had an impact in that area of the bumper it may have misaligned the radar, maybe someone reversing into the bumper. 

A windscreen replacement may have used a glass that has a slight defection in the mounting bracket, or a slight difference in the refraction of the glass. 

Or possibly the system just needs recalibrating to set correctly.

The system can also be affected by changes to tyre pressure, wheel size, or misalignment of the tracking. All these things have a knock on effect on how the ADAS system is "tracking",  and if the ride height or tracking of the car is not how it was when the system was calibrated then it will not perform right, self diagnose a problem and switch itself off to prevent an accident.

Many tyre and wheel companies are still not informed enough to know how changing wheel size and tyres etc etc can affect the ADAS system of the car. So even something as simple as that could cause a problem like you have. 

1 hour ago, AJAMESR said:

Can be a number of reasons for this. The ADAS system works by a combination of Radar in the bumper and Camera in the windscreen. The windscreen camera tends to be pretty robust and capable of handling various road conditions and weather. Part of the reason for this is that the window wipers keep the area in front of the camera clean. The Radar in the bumper is more sensitive to dirt etc. It has even been reported that if a resprayed bumper has a layer of too thick paint that the radar will act up. It is calibrated while the bumper is clean and a thick layer of dirt, snow, heavy rain etc etc can impact on its effectiveness. 

The Radar in the bumper cares mostly for distance to car in front etc, so it impacts on the emergency braking and distance control during cruise control operation. 

The camera is used for lane departure, traffic sign rec, and for tracking pedestrians while driving slow for emergency braking. 

Figuring out the cause of the intermittent problem is going to be the headache here. It could be as simple as dirt over the radar. It has to be kept pretty clean. Also if the car had an impact in that area of the bumper it may have misaligned the radar, maybe someone reversing into the bumper. 

A windscreen replacement may have used a glass that has a slight defection in the mounting bracket, or a slight difference in the refraction of the glass. 

Or possibly the system just needs recalibrating to set correctly.

The system can also be affected by changes to tyre pressure, wheel size, or misalignment of the tracking. All these things have a knock on effect on how the ADAS system is "tracking",  and if the ride height or tracking of the car is not how it was when the system was calibrated then it will not perform right, self diagnose a problem and switch itself off to prevent an accident.

Many tyre and wheel companies are still not informed enough to know how changing wheel size and tyres etc etc can affect the ADAS system of the car. So even something as simple as that could cause a problem like you have. 

Thanks

Radar works fine, when the issue occurs, the car dont recognize trafic sings or lines (the linbes even dissapear from the screen where they used to be white or orange when activated). but it can keep the distance with the car ahead.

it's seems to be camera related, glass is clean (and original from factory) and weather in my area is nice, so no fog, rain, etc... happens during daytime too... car is new, original wheels and rims, no change on ride hieight...

Edited by poseido

Sounds like its def limited to the camera. The cover around the rear view mirror can be removed, the camera can be clicked down and disconnected to be inspected. But dont attempt to do it yourself as it could void your warranty - but the dealer should be able to do it.

Could be a hardware or software issue. Would be interesting to see if any fault codes are stored. 

A system calibration can be done simple enough and quick enough. I should imagine they would only need car for 1/2 a day. The procedure is done in under an hour. 

Is there any condensation on the inside of the windscreen, just morning stuff that needs the inside heaters on to clear. Some systems have a heating element around the camera to keep it condensation free. Not sure about the Skoda. Condensation can cause a problem. 

38 minutes ago, poseido said:

it's seems to be camera related

Most likely correct.

Firstly, the radar is mounted in the centre of the grill behind a black plastic screen, not the bumper.

Secondly, radar has nothing to do with Traffic Sign Recognition or Lane Assist. Those two functions use the camera to detect signs and lane markings (radar can't "see" paint!).

2 hours ago, poseido said:

(I know, bring it to the dealer... but I have no replacement car and I can not waste a workday morning...)

Unfortunately it's quite likely to require a camera recalibration and/or a software update, either of which entails a return to the dealer and highly likely to be longer than just a morning visit.

Don't they provide a courtesy car in Spanish dealerships?

1 hour ago, BillyJim said:

Most likely correct.

Firstly, the radar is mounted in the centre of the grill behind a black plastic screen, not the bumper.

Secondly, radar has nothing to do with Traffic Sign Recognition or Lane Assist. Those two functions use the camera to detect signs and lane markings (radar can't "see" paint!).

Unfortunately it's quite likely to require a camera recalibration and/or a software update, either of which entails a return to the dealer and highly likely to be longer than just a morning visit.

well, seems I'm going to the dealership... I hope the errors were stored on the system and they dont think I'm crazy.... I'll be back reporting, but.. maybe in a couple of months! 😞

Originally posted in another thread yesterday.......

Took car for a spin down A15. No traffic around, on ACC and on Lane Guidance.  Suddenly lost both - reported "ubavailable". Parked up for 3 hours and on starting, ACC back OK but still Lane Guidance "unavailable". Car has done 6600 mile from new in November 2019.  Has anyone else suffered similar fault? I see we have so I''m not alone.

Booed into to local dealer for diagnostics but if recalibration needed their only branch with the equipment is Wakefield and I'm in Hull

11 hours ago, BillyJim said:

Most likely correct.

I never said RADAR was responsible for TSR or Lane Assist - in fact I said the exact opposite. The reason I mentioned the RADAR and to check it was fault free was because the systems, RADAR and CAMERA work hand in hand, they are linked. They reference information from each other to establish a more complete picture of the obstacles etc ahead. And one being defective or faulty could cause the system to switch itself off so that its not being relied on by the driver. 

In some cars you may just have a camera or a radar, depending on the spec, in which case both will work independently as there is no other reference info. But when both are present they are often linked in the control module and have a knock on effect to each other. Although it varies from manufacture to manufacture. 

And if a dealer takes longer than a morning to calibrate I'd advise bring it somewhere else as they are obviously unsure of what they are doing.  A recal takes an hour. I arrange recals with dealers all the time, and we often book cars in for 2pm to be collected by close of day. And many dealers actually still don't even have the hardware and charts to carry out recals. So they are outsourcing to mobile independent units or sending the car to a local ADAS garage. Probably a windscreen company that has the necessary equipment to do the job. 

In fact it might be worth a call to you local windscreen company to see if they would recal it for you. Its a simple procedure, nothing needs to be disturbed or removed from the car. They will plug into the OBD, run the recal by placing charts in front of the vehicle, and then the diagnostics will either confirm a successful recal or a fail.

But obviously, for warranty purposes, contact the dealer first and get them to organise it. So if the camera is faulty they can replace.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 09:47, cmp1951 said:

Originally posted in another thread yesterday.......

Took car for a spin down A15. No traffic around, on ACC and on Lane Guidance.  Suddenly lost both - reported "ubavailable". Parked up for 3 hours and on starting, ACC back OK but still Lane Guidance "unavailable". Car has done 6600 mile from new in November 2019.  Has anyone else suffered similar fault? I see we have so I''m not alone.

Booed into to local dealer for diagnostics but if recalibration needed their only branch with the equipment is Wakefield and I'm in Hull

Now sorted by software update though I don't understand how a software update was required. I am told by the dealer that a service bulletin was issued concerning this.

• 6 months later...

I am looking at using a different company for this year's Car insurance and looking at the "Fine Print" (I really need to get a life) I came across the following clause:

"Advanced Driver Assistance systems  (ADAS)

When using a car fitted with ADAS, you must follow the manufacturer’s instructions and load any software and/or safety related updates. If you don’t, your insurance won’t be valid"

Would this mean that a "re-calibration" of the ADAS is essential after any malfunction?

Regards retiredbri

1 hour ago, retiredbri said:

I am looking at using a different company for this year's Car insurance and looking at the "Fine Print" (I really need to get a life) I came across the following clause:

"Advanced Driver Assistance systems  (ADAS)

When using a car fitted with ADAS, you must follow the manufacturer’s instructions and load any software and/or safety related updates. If you don’t, your insurance won’t be valid"

Would this mean that a "re-calibration" of the ADAS is essential after any malfunction?

Regards retiredbri

They can put clauses like that in if they want, but it's not going to be cut and dried getting the insurance Ombadsman to agree with them if they decline a claim. I have never activated traffic signal recognition, and only activated lane assist by mistake. Funnily enough I do manage to stay in my lane as do other drivers.  I have a feeling we're heading to a stage where technology is going to make all the decisions for us and I'd rather just manage myself in a lot of instances.

I'm having a similar set of problems with my new (sept 2020) Superb, plus a few other little glitches related to Predictive ACC, and road signs.

Sent details to my dealer but no update yet.  I'm expecting it to be a software fix given how new this version of the car is (2021 IV L&K)

My superb is increasingly telling me the speed limit is 20mph when it isn't. Its fantastically good at looking down side roads to the left and spotting signs down them, but seemingly blind to those little speed limit signs attached to lamp posts on the road ahead.

It also likes to occasionally throw the anchors on whenever a large 4x4 turns off left ahead of me. (ABS working overtime on the so-so P7's) Did it once on the motorway when a Mercedes ML class moved to the lane left of me. Luckily no car up my arse at the time. Try explaining that to an insurance company if someone rear ended me. Who would be to blame?

I'm also getting the car telling me its 20mpg when the sign just passed was clearly 30mph.

Have you ever seen the display change kmph from mph then back again a short time later during the same trip. This is regular thing for me now.

I've also had the sudden slow down in speed but for no obvious reason.