Miles to empty... Possible issue? Maxed on 350.miles

Ok.. Will try to keep this short.. 

Tuesday... 

New Octavia 1.5tsi dsg sportline Estate - delivery mileage of 6 miles on Tuesday. 

Car was delivered with approx 1/3 of a tank and Miles to EMPTY (MTE) showed 200 miles.

Tuesday.. 

Added 15 lites of fuel - MTE increased to 250m.

Used the car as normal, gentle driving etc and MTE stayed around the same and started to drop as expected.

Thursday

Miles covered 74...

IMG_20200318_192031.thumb.jpg.0d09fa18cbc2fef10b545c09c6bd5925.jpg

Small bit of motorway driving...  Eco driving style..  MTE 155...

(all OK at this point.......) 

Costco had a 99p a litre on fuel so brimmed the tank, car took 33 litres, MTE displayed at 350 miles..  I thought this does sound a bit low... (coming from a 2016 superb 2.0tdi..) but thought maybe due to the amount of idling etc, next 50 mile rule it will settle its self... 

IMG_20200319_174506_1_compress95.thumb.jpg.278639de3521d5f0929fe6cf6d72a55d.jpg

However.. Following the drive home,(motorway) the MTE remained at 350m which I expected it to increase or at least change... 

Saturday... 

The 350 MTE thing was bugging me a bit (in grand schemes of things I know this is minor!) but having checked the MTE was still 350 miles after covering 50 miles, something does not. Feel right... 

Before adding more fuel.. 

54 miles covered since the tank brim and still 350 MTE... 

IMG_20200321_094614_compress82.thumb.jpg.8a8fbee2a0b701fccbddf18be931fbd2.jpg

And on the infotainment system.. 

IMG_20200321_094605_compress27.thumb.jpg.317a39a43717580cfe0d366f73c83982.jpg

Therefore added just short of 8.5 litre of fuel to brim it again.. IMG_20200321_094804_1_compress7.thumb.jpg.9c62084648ec486937f8548f3e2b495a.jpg

The infotainment system has recognised fuel was added but the MTE remains at 350 miles... 

IMG_20200321_095001_compress0.thumb.jpg.bb38b1a28f44c3767d37776abf01a80a.jpg

IMG_20200321_094913_compress55.thumb.jpg.bb9214ee9bb8a3c01acac41ad537a9e6.jpg

And now since adding the fuel... I've covered a further 20 miles... And you guest it....  Still. MTE 350...

IMG_20200321_122231_compress87.thumb.jpg.ed4ce3ba110ae1ee26516d6f3811fda9.jpg

IMG_20200321_122234_compress97.thumb.jpg.8c50687cfdfd6013e6c9dc57dadbe6bb.jpg

Anyone advise the reason for this? 

Thanks 

Edited by RickTT
Edit.

Very odd because if you were averaging 32mpg all the time then the 50 litre tank (approx 11 gallons) would give a range of 352 miles but yours seems stuck on that number. Filled my 66 litre tank in my Superb and after driving 40 miles now have 550 miles left in the tank which is about right as I averaged 40mpg on the way to work today (14.5 gallons x 40mpg = 580 mile range).:nerd:

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Very odd because if you were averaging 32mpg all the time then the 50 litre tank (approx 11 gallons) would give a range of 352 miles but yours seems stuck on that number. Filled my 66 litre tank in my Superb and after driving 40 miles now have 550 miles left in the tank which is about right as I averaged 40mpg on the way to work today (14.5 gallons x 40mpg = 580 mile range).:nerd:

Yeah, on my superb it fluttered about, and even driving in a proper eco mode or hard the miles to empty changes... 

I'd be tempted to forgive any foibles until you've been through a couple of full tanks of fuel.

Sticking in a tenner here and a tenner there might not be helping?

I'm guessing after only 20 miles from brimming the tank the fuel gauge has still to move off full?

If the car still thinks the tank is full then it'll continue to give you the maximum range based on the current consumption...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Run it a few times from full to empty, takes a couple of tanks to settle down. When I fitted my VC it read 2750 miles to a tank to start with and then the second tank was 750 and after the third or fourth full tank it went back to 450 odd per tank which is about right.

19 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Run it a few times from full to empty, takes a couple of tanks to settle down. When I fitted my VC it read 2750 miles to a tank to start with and then the second tank was 750 and after the third or fourth full tank it went back to 450 odd per tank which is about right.

Thanks, will keep running it to see how it settles down and hopefully the displayed range will settle down, I'm going to run it to near empty to see what mileage I can also infact get from a tank, however with everything that's going on this could be a few weeks at this rate! 

• Like 1

Does sound weird. I'd be sorely tempted to reset/zero the fuel computer and see if fuel to empty remains at 350.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Does sound weird. I'd be sorely tempted to reset/zero the fuel computer and see if fuel to empty remains at 350.

How can you do that? I didn't think that was possible without actually adding fuel? 

Thanks 

two options. Go into vehicle settings / instrument cluster and reset both driving data options  or simply vehicle settings and return to factory default.

When your display says 350 miles to empty. that's based on past driving data. When Lewis Hamilton fills up it may say 300 miles to empty, when Ms Daisy fills up it may say 400 miles to empty.

That's why if you drive carefully the miles to empty figure can actually increase after you leave the petrol station. Unless of course you're name is SHYVRS, where the normal procedure is to complain to the garage that you didn't receive any fuel and then threaten to sue the oil company. :D

PS - just out of interest, before you reset, can you check your instantaneous fuel consumption display  -   is that working OK ?

Edited by Guest

Resetting the 'average fuel consumption' might prompt the car to recalculate the distance to empty...

image.png.159c9db65603a959b89f3ba9153199c5.png

However, I think the best advice so far is to run through a few full tanks of fuel.

48 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

two options. Go into vehicle settings / instrument cluster and reset both driving data options  or simply vehicle settings and return to factory default.

When your display says 350 miles to empty. that's based on past driving data. When Lewis Hamilton fills up it may say 300 miles to empty, when Ms Daisy fills up it may say 400 miles to empty.

That's why if you drive carefully the miles to empty figure can actually increase after you leave the petrol station. Unless of course you're name is SHYVRS, where the normal procedure is to complain to the garage that you didn't receive any fuel and then threaten to sue the oil company. :D

PS - just out of interest, before you reset, can you check your instantaneous fuel consumption display  -   is that working OK ?

The instantaneous works fine and details the real time mpg. 

I may try a factory reset, however I was under the impression this will never reset the since refuel menu. (was always the case on my 2016 mk3 Superb.) 

47 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Resetting the 'average fuel consumption' might prompt the car to recalculate the distance to empty...

image.png.159c9db65603a959b89f3ba9153199c5.png

However, I think the best advice so far is to run through a few full tanks of fuel.

From memory, that reset only works on since start and long term, I don't believe it resets since last refuel., but will try it. 

Thanks 

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Lewis Hamilton would beat Miss Daisy on better mpg and tank range if it was a challenge. Once saw Jarno Trulli when he was a Toyota F1 driver get 74mpg from a Prius on public roads.:wait:

A Factory Reset is not required. Just Zero things as many do at the start of trips. Or even at various times in a day or journey.

The car came into the Dealership set in Transport Mode', maybe on a transporter or driven from a dealership to a dealership while in Transport mode.

Then was changed from Transport mode.  Sat around, got a PDI, maybe got a run to a filling station.

Setting to Zero before driving off is just 'simply clever'  or normal for many collecting a car, new or used.

Ok.. Slight update.. 

After 64 miles after refueling, the MTE just ticked down by 5 miles to 345m... So it must of been running on fresh air for them 64 miles.. 

I'm interested to see what the actual mileage will be off the tank too now. 

IMG_20200323_104927.thumb.jpg.cd1506afe18ec3ed2a291af3db6d6683.jpg

IMG_20200323_104922.thumb.jpg.2b10a8ae8637d6aa0d566913c794ba96.jpg

And then.. 2 miles later ticked down to 340 miles... 

IMG_20200323_105636.thumb.jpg.fd73984757c5a276ede3458cf42cb3b6.jpg

IMG_20200323_105633.jpg

Edited by RickTT

Odd thought this; without wishing to seem pedantic, can you try filling up your vehicle with anything else other than cheap fuel....

I had issues with cheap fuel that caused all kinds of issues with both performance and with the vehicle reporting dud running information on my previous 2016 Scout (which was a diesel).

Sometimes the cheaper fuels have more than the required 5% ethernol (for unleaded) - E5 - and this can cause confusion on the mileage calcuations; my theory is that either the ethernol is giving false readings or it is dislodging dirt into the engine.

It is also worth trying to find out what version of firmware you are running on the Virtual Dashboard.  A quick call to report this odd problem to your closest Skoda dealer - ~might~ result in a "oh yes, there is a firmware update for your vehicle" - type comment.

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

This is why I didn't want a Virtual **** Up Display in my 2019 Superb. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Virtual Reality more like.:thumbdown:

Miles to empty is still present on the normal cluster... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Odd thought this; without wishing to seem pedantic, can you try filling up your vehicle with anything else other than cheap fuel....

I had issues with cheap fuel that caused all kinds of issues with both performance and with the vehicle reporting dud running information on my previous 2016 Scout (which was a diesel).

Sometimes the cheaper fuels have more than the required 5% ethernol (for unleaded) - E5 - and this can cause confusion on the mileage calcuations; my theory is that either the ethernol is giving false readings or it is dislodging dirt into the engine.

It is also worth trying to find out what version of firmware you are running on the Virtual Dashboard.  A quick call to report this odd problem to your closest Skoda dealer - ~might~ result in a "oh yes, there is a firmware update for your vehicle" - type comment.

In regarding to fuel, its only had Costco fuel followed by the 8.5l of asdas.. 

I'm thinking its a software type issue as regardless on fuel quality, the MTE should of increased when more fuel was added... 

I'm going to run through this tank of fuel, am I still correct that the MTE is based on the previous 50 miles? 

Thanks 

The fuel quality shouldn't make a difference, the miles to empty is a simple calculation between current /average fuel consumption and the fuel tank capacity.

Remember also that the range, as with the actual fuel consumption is a guide, it isn't meant to be pinpoint accurate.

It is also more beneficial when you're low on fuel.

At least it is actually dropping now. Try to resist topping up the tank and see if things improve the closer to empty you get. 

28 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The fuel quality shouldn't make a difference, the miles to empty is a simple calculation between current /average fuel consumption and the fuel tank capacity.

Remember also that the range, as with the actual fuel consumption is a guide, it isn't meant to be pinpoint accurate.

It is also more beneficial when you're low on fuel.

At least it is actually dropping now. Try to resist topping up the tank and see if things improve the closer to empty you get. 

Yeah, that's my thinking now.. Its dropped one bar on the gauge and another 11 miles it's dropped to to 330MTE

IMG_20200323_191509.thumb.jpg.b9d860fa377b53afbb1b7827a8924943.jpg

IMG_20200323_191504.thumb.jpg.121017b0051050ba0670da4067ed4712.jpg

I'm not going to add fuel yet, but now in theory it would need at least 12 litres to brim the tank which should increase the MTE to approx 420miles..but will wait.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Cheap fuel is still the same BS standard as the expensive stuff. 

Just because Costco petrol is cheap, doesn’t mean it’s worse than what you class better fuel.

https://www.costco.co.uk/kirkland-signature-fuel

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update to this one... First full tank done.. 

IMG_20200418_132249.thumb.jpg.bd4bd6e61b543513edba8a861c82c2c4.jpg

IMG_20200418_132256.thumb.jpg.dfd029226c6ba57f785d4b128f54b857.jpg

Refueled it to the brim and miles to empty has gone to 365 miles to empty. 

Edited by RickTT