Light Assist Missing

When I ordered my car I specced it with the autolights feature - unfortunately it didnt arrive with this - but it does have the auto wipers and therefore the sensor in the windscreen - which I believe does both.

So now I'm wondering if I invest in a new lightswitch - would I be able to activate the light feature -- I have the Maxi-Dot display and therefore have acces to the menu's -- I suspect that some code or other would need to be changed to enable the vehicle to realise that it's got the feature.

Anyone got any idea ???

autolights feature -

Do you mean dipped lights come on when car opened, and its dark ? (if so the dealer set it up on mine). If this is not what your on about....Oops :rolleyes:

When I ordered my car I specced it with the autolights feature - unfortunately it didnt arrive with this - but it does have the auto wipers and therefore the sensor in the windscreen - which I believe does both.

So now I'm wondering if I invest in a new lightswitch - would I be able to activate the light feature -- I have the Maxi-Dot display and therefore have acces to the menu's -- I suspect that some code or other would need to be changed to enable the vehicle to realise that it's got the feature.

Anyone got any idea ???

I'm pretty sure its just a case of changing the light switch and enabling it in VAG.COM . I presume this would then give u access to the light assist settings via maxidot too.

Gaff's comments would seem to reflect this too. His dealer has enabled some of the light assist functionality thru VAG.COM even tho he didnt specify light assist.

I think Gaff means welcome home lights.

Be interested to know if putting the switch in works though. I know there is a step in the programming of the electonics ECU to determine if it has light assist or not.

Surely the auto light switch neets a light sensor too, or is that incorporated into the auto windscreen wiper module?

As far as I know - the autolights use the same sensor pack that's fitted to the mirror for the rain sensing wipers as well, I think I'll price up a switch and give it a try!!

As far as I know - the autolights use the same sensor pack that's fitted to the mirror for the rain sensing wipers as well, I think I'll price up a switch and give it a try!!

let us know if it works, I ordered it on mine, but they forgot to add it when I changed the order

let us know if it works, I ordered it on mine, but they forgot to add it when I changed the order

Will do - I've emailed my salesman, asking if they can let me borrow a switch to try, so that I don't have to buy one - just in case it doesn't work.

I'll keep you posted

Light assist feature is a case of changing the light switch for one which has an 'AUTO' position on it (£45 ish) and reconfiguring the vehicle to activate feature. Light sensor in same place as rainsensor and will turn lights on/off depending on ambient light levels.

Can be overridden but turning lightswitch away from auto to dip beam position.

hope that helps.

I think Gaff means welcome home lights.

Be interested to know if putting the switch in works though. I know there is a step in the programming of the electonics ECU to determine if it has light assist or not.

:o, I figured that would be the response ;) so whats the actual physical differences between the 2 ?

Light assist turns the lights on automatically - according to ambient light - so if you enter a tunnel - the lights will come on,then go off when you get the other side,

Light assist turns the lights on automatically - according to ambient light - so if you enter a tunnel - the lights will come on,then go off when you get the other side,

Light assist also includes coming/leaving home lights control wherby at night the cars lights remain on for a preset period after you leave the car and come on when you unlock the car.

I have 4 selections on my light switch, one is for some sort of tunnel lights so I assume this is the one your on about. :thumbup:

That is light assist Gaff.

Guy's I have the same question as Gaff.

My coming home and leaving home lights are both working fine. When I engage the switch for the "Tunnel" lights the dipped lights stay on constantly regardless of the level of the ambient light.

The fact that the comfort lights are working correctly would indicate that the sensor for measuring the intensity of the exterior lighting is working ok, but I get the feeling that the automatic lights need to be set up using the Vag-COM. The Demo car that I drove prior to ordering my new RS had exactly the same fault.

Any help on this would really be appreciated as it seems pointless that there are three ways of activating the dipped headlights:confused:

By adding the switch if you have the sensor in the rear veiw mirror will do it jus have to set up the long codeing! done it on a L&K that I orderd Incorectly for a customer!

Got me out of a very deep hole.

Cheers,

Jason.

Do the dipped lights come on anyway, even when its in side light position and off?

NO, The dipped head lights come on in the "off " position , the "tunnel " position, and in the dipped position. Me thinks it could be the way it is set up for Day time running lights, even though they are not mandatory in Ireland. Please help.:thumbup:

NO, The dipped head lights come on in the "off " position , the "tunnel " position, and in the dipped position. Me thinks it could be the way it is set up for Day time running lights, even though they are not mandatory in Ireland. Please help.:thumbup:

Thats just a regional setting in VAG.COM. Your dealer should have turned that function off at PDI stage. It's easily changed and there should be no charge.

Thats just a regional setting in VAG.COM. Your dealer should have turned that function off at PDI stage. It's easily changed and there should be no charge.

Thank you JC. I will bring her to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can sort it.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any idea ???

Have you had any luck yet?

I had a go by 'borrowing' a light assist switch, but when it was all set up with the computer and fitted, the lights just came on when switched to light assist mode and would not turn off (I even went for a drive to check), yet when the original car with the switch is parked in the same place and it's switched on, the lights are off.