BOOT LID DOESN'T CLOSE PROPERLY, ANY TRICKS/TIPS ADVICE

I am still within warranty which is running out in two to three months time. Problem of the car is, I need to slam the boot lid  to close it properly. My previous two similar cars haven't had this problem. You just drop the lid gently and then they are closed. but with this car i found numerous time that the boot lid was not closed properly. 

Is there any tricks of fixing it myself instead of asking the dealer?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, automass said:

I am still within warranty which is running out in two to three months time. Problem of the car is, I need to slam the boot lid  to close it properly. My previous two similar cars haven't had this problem. You just drop the lid gently and then they are closed. but with this car i found numerous time that the boot lid was not closed properly. 

Is there any tricks of fixing it myself instead of asking the dealer?

Perhaps the boot latch is not aligned properly. Might need moving slightly to the left/'right.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, automass said:

How to get to the latch? Is it easy fix? I have sprayed with some lubricant but doesn't help.

Would be easier if the dealers were open. Sorry never had a poorly aligned boot latch. I always open the boot checking for a spare and it's a good chance to see/hear how it closes.

Just pull the trim that covers the latch off (it’s held on with 4 clips) and you have access to move the latch and tighten the bolts. They are T45 Torx if memory serves but please don’t quote me on that. I spent quite a bit of time aligning my new soft close one for the power boot retrofit so I feel the pain of a misaligned latch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had similar issues with my old 06 plate which I got sorted under warranty. The biggest issue though was that this mis-alignment allowed water to secretly leak into the boot and collect in the spare wheel well, so might be worth having a look in case you need to bale yours out! I only realised I had a problem when I needed to change a wheel due to a puncture one very cold winter, (2010 I think), and was confronted with the spare, frozen into place in a block of ice! 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Aren't the little rubber "boot/bump stops" that stick down adjustable by turning them?

I am thinking the same actually. I did open one of them and when I put it back I screwed it all the way without realising that it could be boot lid adjuster. Then I felt other one was bit taller. So I did screw that one down as well. When I closed the lid it seemed it closed properly. I did try two more times and everytime it closed without any extra effort.

N.B: I did double check now and yes bigjohn, you are right. They seem are the adjuster.

Edited by automass
  • Like 2