Plumbing advice, please - toilet cistern ball valve

MikeTheThinker

Our close-coupled bog has the usual full/part flush buttons on top.  For no reason I can detyermine, the post-flush refill has started taking forever; something is restricting the flow into the cistern.

I dismantled the flow control valve expecting a calcined flow rubber washer but all I found was a cruciform (cross-head) which is held onto the water feed face by the float pressure.  There is a rubber seal around this but it's not part of the float valve.  With the cross-head item removed water flows at full rate, so the supply to the control valve is fine.

I looked into the valve head where the cross-head sits but it's just more white plastic, no replaceable washer or diaphragm.

If the existing setup cannot be rectified (as I suspect) are these flush units pretty standard these days?  In normal times I'd take the exisiting one along to our local builders' yard where someone would suck their teeth for a minute and then give me a replacement part.  Unfortunately they're closed to drop-ins 😞

I've attached a piccy of the valve head assembly in case anyone can recognise it.  There's no brand-name on it that I can see.

bog ball valve 20200502_224619.jpg

Last time I changed one I got lucky and changed the top half of the valve while being able to keep the bottom fitting and assembly in tact. You might struggle if its a no name brand or its quite old.

Worst that you are going to have to contend with is draining the cistern and fitting a complete assembly. That cistern looks quite big compared with some compact toilets so it wouldn't be too bad.

17 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Last time I changed one I got lucky and changed the top half of the valve while being able to keep the bottom fitting and assembly in tact. You might struggle if its a no name brand or its quite old.

Worst that you are going to have to contend with is draining the cistern and fitting a complete assembly. That cistern looks quite big compared with some compact toilets so it wouldn't be too bad.

Bought as part of a bathroom kit from a local plumbing store in 2003.  Porcelain is Brazilian but everything else is anonymous 😞

I've assumed I'll have to replace the whole flush mechanism but would like to avoud having to take the cistern with me for a fitting - hence the query about whether all  (or some) ball valve mechanisms are created equal ...

Edited by StickyMicky

There is a washer if you unscrew the rippled looking bit on the top right (turn the water off first). A new washer will fix that but You will need the valve specific washer though. It does look like a Siamp fill valve.  

Generally if access to the underneath isn't too bad i just change them as its less faff. Fluidmaster brass shank bottom entry fill valve is my choice. Ive fitted 100’s and very rarely go back to any even years later. 

its 99% likely to be a 1/2 inch thread 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Thanks 1

Siamp fill valve repair video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM25pswbqmQ . You may find it "cheaper" to get a new valve than chase around trying to locate spares.  I needed a new Siamp flush button and I think the flush valve + button was £3 more than the button!  Siamp have an online shop and are also on Amazon - there were price differences.

I’ve used fluidmaster and never had problems.

What I will say is that it pays to get a two part one where you can replace the top without the bottom so you don’t need to take the cistern off.

If you’re doing that, you might as well do the flush valve at the same time for a two part one too.

6 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I’ve used fluidmaster and never had problems.

What I will say is that it pays to get a two part one where you can replace the top without the bottom so you don’t need to take the cistern off.

If you’re doing that, you might as well do the flush valve at the same time for a two part one too.

You can usually replace fill valves without taking the cistern off the pan.

Its cheap flush valves that cause the work on close coupled cisterns with flush handles. replace with a fluidmaster flush valve and the bit with the diaphragm in can be pulled out the top. Loads less work next time round. 

Push button siphons are usually twist out. Sometimes just slip a washer on and happy days. Not bad jobs those.  

Last one I had the misfortune to do was an old school, single piece design that needed to be undone and the rubber doughnut had degraded too.

It was probably ancient, but if you have it off anyway replacing the inaccessible parts and washers isn’t a great expense. 

More a case of save a possible future headache and do it all in one go.