Heater fan failed, 4th time

EP90

Approx 12 months ago the resistor pack failed on the heater fan.  Dealer replaced it and I paid.  A few weeks later the resistor failed again, dealer replaced for free.  A few weeks later failed again.  Dealer replaced the fan and resistor pack, I paid.  Today, 6 months on from fan replacement, its failed once more.  Any ideas or advice appreciated.  I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

Have you or Skoda checked the condition of the pollen/cabin filter during this last year?

If it's badly clogged up it will reduce airflow over the resistor and make it run hotter and be more likely to burn out.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wino, 

I haven't checked (wouldn't know how but I guess I should find out).  Supposedly replaced on the last service in November.  It was listed on the service record and charged for.

Hi EP90

To check the pollen filter (assuming right hand drive).  Look under the passenger side glovebox.  There is a foam panel held on with two plastic thumbscrews.  Unscrew these by hand, then untuck and pull down the panel at its back edge (nearest the bulkhead) and fold it up out of the way. Gaffa tape will hold it up temporarily.  The filter is under a plastic ribbed cover which has L shaped tongues  Slide the cover along about 15 mm to release the tongues, and it can then be pulled down.  Then grasp and pull the filter downwards.  It has a chamfer on the top nearest the passenger door.  When refitting take care not to distort the filter.  The cover tongues go back through slots in the filter edge.  The last filter I bought was a Mann from Euro Car Parts, about £12.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to the above, the resistor packs usually fail because the thermal fuse goes open circuit because its temperature has exceeded its rating  All speeds except full will stop.  There are several reasons for this, and I have encountered all of them:

The air flow is restricted for some reason, eg blocked pollen filter or failing fan motor.

There is a bad plug/socket connection to the resistor pack generating extra heat.  Look for blackening or melting.

The thermal fuse is incorrectly rated at too low a temperature, e.g. pattern parts or faulty batch

The resistor isn't properly positioned in the air flow due to a fitting error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Austin 7,  thanks for that, much appreciated.

That’s this mornings job.  Hopefully I’ll find a clogged up filter, I can then take issue with the dealer.  Ifs its clean the saga/investigations will continue.

Took out the pollen filter, looked clean to me, certainly wasn’t clogged. Printed on the side “made in France, Nov 2018” so allowing for sat in warehouse, dealer shelves,  points to it being changed in the 2019 major service.  Booked in to Dealer in 10 days time,  I will discuss all your points with them.  There’s something obviously amiss with four failures in 18 months.   I’ll update when/if resolved.

• 1 month later...

The saga continues….

The virus restricted the dealer from further investigation until recently.  Finally got the car into the dealer, they had it for the majority of two weeks while they tested and looked for a fault.  Numerous discussions with the main Dublin dealer and Czechoslovakia.  No fault uncovered.  Car returned with the 4th new resistor pack so I’ll see how long it lasts.

Clutching at straws, but how about running without a pollen filter to keep it cooler, are there any implications to the car?

40 minutes ago, EP90 said:

how about running without a pollen filter to keep it cooler, are there any implications to the car?

Dust inside car.
You should not expect to do that as system is designed to operate OK with it in.
I suspect it had not been fitted correctly to get the cooling it needed, or you had 2 or 3 duds.

This resistor pack seems to be a Skoda weakness. I have lost speed 1 on my Roomster last year but it is located under the passenger side airbag so I have decided to leave it until all or speed 2 fails.

I like the car and the dealer couldn’t be more accommodating so I’ll see how it goes.  A bit of dust would be an acceptable price if the resistor didn’t fail !!  It gets frustrating for me and the dealer.

Thanks for your help lads, hopefully my next post will be in 6 months to report the fan is still running ok.  Just need to come to some arrangement about the new replacement fan that didn’t cure the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  On the recommendation from Prague, the whole blower unit has been replaced.  Due to the equivalent of shielding, Dealer picked up my car, left a courtesy car, brought my car back the next day.  Couldn’t ask for better service.

• Like 1