Skoda Enyaq

vrskeith

Regarding the updating of a car's software, Tesla seem to be constantly pushing the boundaries and that can only be a good thing. A notice on the Polestar website says there'll be one in early 2021 so not quite as active. How VAG are coping remains to be seen unless @greenstripe can enlighten how his E-Tron has been catered for?

@john999boy not quite sure how to answer that. The car has an embedded E-SIM so the car is online 24/7. I have seen it automatically do software updates -but not sure if this is only for the infotainment system or the car itself. 

There are features on the car that are subscription based such as dynamic indicators or the matrix function on the LED headlights. These are due to be available to buy/lease via the MyAudi phone app at some point in the future and Audi refers to them as 'function on demand'.

I have the very base model in base spec (50 technik), so doesn't have a lot of the more advanced features. I'm not sure what degree of autonomous driving is available on the e-tron range.

One thing I like about the e-tron is that I don't think that Audi have tried to make the car purposefully different from conventional cars in the way that some manufacturers seem to do with their electric vehicles. 

I wouldn't like to guess about how much 'filter down' there would be from the e-tron to the Enyaq as I'm not sure they will have that much in common. The ID.3 and sister models are of such importance to VW group's survival, I get the feeling that they're putting everything they've got behind it and are very much aware of the competition and are compelled to match feature for feature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenstripe said:

not quite sure how to answer that. The car has an embedded E-SIM so the car is online 24/7. I have seen it automatically do software updates -but not sure if this is only for the infotainment system or the car itself.

There are features on the car that are subscription based such as dynamic indicators or the matrix function on the LED headlights. These are due to be available to buy/lease via the MyAudi phone app at some point in the future and Audi refers to them as 'function on demand'.

Now that could be interesting if it works it's way to the Enyaq!

Any idea on how much these function on demand features are?

22 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Now that could be interesting if it works it's way to the Enyaq!

Any idea on how much these function on demand features are?

No idea, I gather BMW have something similar in the works with iDrive 7 as reported here: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/352659/bmw-make-extras-heated-seats-subscription-based-options

55 minutes ago, Tamworthpig said:

A new question, why buy a VW id3 hatchback costing £38880 when you can get a mid size SUV Skoda Enyaq for £30450 ?

Comparing apples and oranges there a bit - the ID.3 1st edition has a lot of extras on it that when you add them to the base spec Enyaq bring them pretty close in price.

But then you are on a Skoda forum asking why a vehicle with a Skoda badge is cheaper than one with a VW one. I would say a large part of it is 'perceived value' People still look down on the Skoda brand even though the current brand bears very little resemblance to how it was before VW took over and they were selling cars based on 1950's Fiat designs in the early 1990s

On 25/09/2020 at 16:40, shyVRS245 said:

Why did your Tesla need a new front end? I ask because I checked a lease price on the basic one limited to 8,000 miles per year and it was £100 per month more than my Superb although free road tax and lower fuel bills would compensate.

when they painted the car they didn't clean some dirt / grit offf it first so there were umps of grit under the paint.  They fixed it, but it took 6 months to get the parts from the USA

42 minutes ago, greenstripe said:

Comparing apples and oranges there a bit - the ID.3 1st edition has a lot of extras on it that when you add them to the base spec Enyaq bring them pretty close in price.

But then you are on a Skoda forum asking why a vehicle with a Skoda badge is cheaper than one with a VW one. I would say a large part of it is 'perceived value' People still look down on the Skoda brand even though the current brand bears very little resemblance to how it was before VW took over and they were selling cars based on 1950's Fiat designs in the early 1990s

skoda never sold cars based on old fiat, that was Polski Fiat. They always had their own designs. That's why VW invested, and why Polski Fiat is long forgotten

• Like 2

On 26/09/2020 at 13:50, john999boy said:

Regarding the updating of a car's software, Tesla seem to be constantly pushing the boundaries and that can only be a good thing. A notice on the Polestar website says there'll be one in early 2021 so not quite as active. How VAG are coping remains to be seen unless @greenstripe can enlighten how his E-Tron has been catered for?

every time Tesla push an update there is quite quickly a load of people saying "why doesn't X work any more?"  The sorts of things they push out are voice controls (standard on most cars), one pedal driving (standard on most EVs), traffioc sign recognition (standard on most cars). 

On 25/09/2020 at 16:47, TonyTonic said:

The M3 is quite a small car inside, the Enyaq is massive compared with about the same price tag, the issue is, do we trust VAG with this new tech that's been pushed out quickly to be honest due to pressure from Tesla M3 sales figures. and other things,  When I look at the stats for the Enyaq I'm not that impressed compared to the Tesla and to have all the same level of equipment it's not gong to be anywhere near the 33k advertised price. The heat pump is a grand.

tesla doesn't have a heat pump either

5 minutes ago, domhnall said:

skoda never sold cars based on old fiat, that was Polski Fiat. They always had their own designs. That's why VW invested, and why Polski Fiat is long forgotten

I stand corrected - was thinking of Lada re the old Fiat designs - now part of Renault group.  Still the old stigma exists whether or not it is correctly founded. You see more old Skodas around than you do contemporary British Leyland Group cars

1 hour ago, greenstripe said:

Have to agree with this. Also the standard power on the id3 is higher. Pound for pound you get more with the vw. Value for money you get more with Skoda.

12 hours ago, john999boy said:

Not withstanding how much it costs, is it a benefit to have?

hard to say as I've not had a winter in the car yet. The old leafs had a small battery (24kwh) and no heat pump so the advice was always don't use the heater as it kills your range. They fitted a heat pump so it was no longer an issue. Now with bigger batteries (my tesla has 47 kwh and the enyaq will have 58) the heater will still draw power but you've got more capacity so it may have less of an impact in day to day motoring as the batters are way way bigger than you need. They're designed for long distance driving. What I tend to do when it is cold (was minus 2  on Saturday morning) , is out on the heated seats and put the heat on low rather than auto. If you leave the car to its own devices it will try to heat the whole cabin to your set temp, whereas I just wanted warm feet and the seats (which draw very little) did the rest. 

I do miss a heated steering wheel ont he Tesla though. 

Hoping to see the ID3 next week as my neighbour works for a VW dealer and he's goign to bring one home. 

13 hours ago, greenstripe said:

I stand corrected - was thinking of Lada re the old Fiat designs - now part of Renault group.  Still the old stigma exists whether or not it is correctly founded. You see more old Skodas around than you do contemporary British Leyland Group cars

I still stand by the fact that my Skoda Estelle was one of the most fun to drive cars I ever had. The yeti was good too but in a different way. 

Also, Tesla fit heat pumps to Model Y to improve the range and there are rumours these will be fited to the Model 3 in the near future to maintain their lead in the range stakes. Jaguar have always used heat pumps on the I-Pace - they are just more efficient for an EV in temperate climates (most of Europe). I found a couple of threads on Reddit that talk about the increase in efficiency for ID.3 (same MEB platform / same tach) that may be of interest.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, greenstripe said:

Im trying to decide if we should replace our Superb with an Enyaq or an ID.3 when the lease is up. Price for the ID.3 (58kwh) Life and Enyaq 60 are pretty much the same here in Sweden but you get a few nice extras (like faster charging, heatpump) with the ID.3. It's also a bit faster and has more range since it smaller/lighter/more power.

I have driven the ID.3 a couple of weeks ago and had a sit in the Enyaq 80 last week. My impressions were that the ID.3 feels a bit more modern/minimal inside. Especially with the gear selector on the steering wheel and head-up display... The Enyaq felt a lot more luxury! Almost feels like they are aiming it more at Volvo etc. and VW is going to be the more basic option. The Enyaq seemed even bigger than I expected... Not much shorter than superb but much taller and bulkier. Rear seat room was a bit disappointing. Much less than Superb and didn't seem like much (if anything) more than the ID.3!

At the moment im leaning toward the ID.3. 90% of the time we are just driving around the neighbourhood so a smaller car will be easier and I would rather have a few more of the tech gadgets and the more modern/minimal interior/controls. Will definitely miss the big Superb boot sometimes but it's not that often that we fill it completely. I just need to double check how well the bike rack situation is on the ID.3. Looks like it sits much higher than a normal towbar and 3/4 bikes might be pushing it...

Hopefully I have a chance to see the ID.4 soon! 

RWD in snow is not a concern on a well balanced car with the correct tyres for driving in snow.

So very much the same with FWD cars.

BMW i3's do OK, and Smart's.  The Up!MiiCitigo electric replacements will likely do just fine as well.

Skoda have a Motorsport Heritage and Success with rear wheel drive cars.

So the VW Group / Skoda / SEAT / Audi just need to be fitting wheels and OEM tyres in sizes that are readily available in not over expensive All Season / Winter or Snow tyres.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

@ewlmr are you at all concerned about RWD vs FWD in snow and ice? This is a bit worrying for me with the VAG electric vehicles at the moment. 

Definitely a bit worried. I had an E-Golf courtesy car for a couple of weeks last winter and it was ok with winter tires. Just an annoying amount of wheel spin with all of that electric torque. Was quite a bit worse than the mk7 golf we had before the Superb. Im hoping the RWD and extra weight of the batteries will cure that. Also hoping I can do a winter test drive in the ID.3 before I need to order anything. We need to back up quite a steep drive way to our house so it would be a bit of a hassle if it cant manage that :)

I guess I could wait for the Enyaq 80x (or RS) but think they are going to be way more than what I would like to spend so would most likely try to keep the Superb until something else is available...

• Thanks 1

I said "A new question, why buy a VW id3 hatchback costing £38880 when you can get a mid size SUV Skoda Enyaq for £30450 ?"  I appreciate all your replies to my question thanks.

It's always been saloons or hatchbacks for me, I never liked look of big bulky top heavy things, but my other half likes SUV's, some of her friends have them and she likes sitting pillion higher up admiring the improved view out of the windows, so I have to buy an SUV next and the Enyaq seems to tick all the boxes, including its value price.  Another thing is: I'm ready for a change, I'm boord with fuel cars and vibratory reciprocating engines, been driving that stuff since the 70's when my first car was a three wheeled plastic pig called Reliant and witch was made in my home town of Tamworth.  I'm really looking forward to a test drive in a VAG electric car, but if I buy one , it will be an SUV.

11 minutes ago, Tamworthpig said:

I said "A new question, why buy a VW id3 hatchback costing £38880 when you can get a mid size SUV Skoda Enyaq for £30450 ?"  I appreciate all your replies to my question thanks.

It's always been saloons or hatchbacks for me, I never liked look of big bulky top heavy things, but my other half likes SUV's, some of her friends have them and she likes sitting pillion higher up admiring the improved view out of the windows, so I have to buy an SUV next and the Enyaq seems to tick all the boxes, including its value price.  Another thing is: I'm ready for a change, I'm boord with fuel cars and vibratory reciprocating engines, been driving that stuff since the 70's when my first car was a three wheeled plastic pig called Reliant and witch was made in my home town of Tamworth.  I'm really looking forward to a test drive in a VAG electric car, but if I buy one , it will be an SUV.

Exactly my position, as if reading my mind. If it was up to me I would never buy an SUV