Aftermarket Android stereo install (with photos)

slow_nick

• 3 weeks later...

its currently out of stock at £502!!!!

thats a serious mark up...

but it looks a really decent unit. and proper install done 👍

I have fitted 2 identical but cheaper WinCE units, the first somewhat problematic, doesn't like multi-tasking & will subsequently reboot, the second does everything that it should and only cost £80 delivered, luck of the draw really.

What limits your choice and ups the price is the facia size, yours and mine facia styles need the widest units which are rare and cost more, I used the narrower one and made infill adaptors, a square double DIN unit would be aven cheaper but not look as OE.

There is no need to buy a seperate GPS antennae, the one that comes with the system does not need to be stuck on top of the dash but can go anywhere underneath, it has a magnetic rear and will stick to the metal cross brace, easy to place just by squeezing your hand through the radio aperture. The reception is excellent, far better than my previous Tom Tom unit.

I also fitted one of those boot handle reversing cameras, very discreet but they do get covered in muck being in a low pressure area, not muck as such just a slight coating of road dust/grime, easily wiped off with a finger.

The one on my Yeti is part of the number plate light, even cheaper, doesn't look quite as good but has  LEDS illumination built in, image is better at night but the reversing lights gave enough light for the lock handle camera to operate.

• Like 1