2021 Opel Mokka X (electric) testing. & Skoda Enyaq driven.

Ootohere

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 20:30, domhnall said:

is it just me or would it be good to be able to buy the car with the cammo paint job? 🙂

Its just you ! 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 02/06/2020 at 13:01, match14 said:

Rip off at £40k

Agreed. Electric cars = "Shocking" prices :wall: .

Not just Skoda either. As I mentioned in another recent thread, £30k for a tiny electric Fiat 500e is nuts.

It's almost like the petrol vs diesel debate. In order to get the savings & justify the cost to switch to an electric car you have to be doing quite high mileage which, you won't be doing because you'll be stationary recharging every 150-340 miles.

I'll be waiting for the 2nd hand market to have a better choice of cheaper electric cars before I dip my toe in that pond. 

• 5 weeks later...

You can be charging free or cheaply at home or work or even on public chargers .   

Not paying £20 or more every 150 miles or so for petrol or diesel, not paying so much in tax if a business user. 

Maybe not paying to park, or pay Work Place tax where that comes in and not paying in Low Emission zones.

There are so many reasons not to have or drive an EV and for some plenty reasons to have one.

Some might have one of each type of vehicle as they see what suits their needs and find the ICE vehicles are no longer necessary for them for work, domestic, leisure or pleasure.

Now that there are EV's with longer possible ranges & also towing capacities people might look differently on what they might drive.

They will obviously wait until there is a greater take up of EV but I keep wondering how the government is going to recoup the massive amount of duty currently collected from petrol and diesel?

Chris

Hopefully with a totally fair Road Taxing. & VAT on Electric & tax the Utility companies.

So a standard daily charge by a vehicles weight & length. 

Then a miles covered driving on the road charge checked by the roadside equipment or cars black boxes and billed to the registered keepers.

& the road fuel duty & VAT still charged over and above for the liquid fuel vehicles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/01/2021 at 23:50, Colin170CR said:

Agreed. Electric cars = "Shocking" prices :wall: .

Not just Skoda either. As I mentioned in another recent thread, £30k for a tiny electric Fiat 500e is nuts.

It's almost like the petrol vs diesel debate. In order to get the savings & justify the cost to switch to an electric car you have to be doing quite high mileage which, you won't be doing because you'll be stationary recharging every 150-340 miles.

I'll be waiting for the 2nd hand market to have a better choice of cheaper electric cars before I dip my toe in that pond. 

The £40k price point is for the initial model that will only be offered at the top of the range, this is typical for the new electric models coming out of the VAG.

Go to the Skoda website and you can spec a much cheaper version closer to £30k (after gov subsidies).

Not sure about the "wait for second models" I'd be deeply worried about the battery life expectancy on a three year old leccie car - I remember the Top Gear guys buying a second hand Nissan Leaf that could only muster a range of 40 miles!

• Confused 1

The Enyaq started at nearer £31,000 with the from £31,085 with the government grant. but with the £500 less of a grant from today it is getting nearer to £32,000 than 31.

A 2nd hand Leaf from the first ones over 10 year old are getting more like 60 miles & some get more but it depends where used, and now people are putting replacement batteries in.

Now the EV's have 7 & 8 year Warranties on the batteries, you get guarantees on what battery percentage will be usable by what ever years the are covering & you can buy battery replacement warranties. 

As it is replacing batteries is not as expensive as many think.

Edited by e-Roottoot

In the absence of a small Skoda EV (the Enyaq is too big & no Fabia EV in the pipeline) I have been looking at Corsa-e, E-208, Zoe & others. That new Mokka got a rave review from Fully charged & I do like the look of it. However, once again it is too expensive in EV form. I would have to wait for a used / nearly new 1.2 130bhp auto to become available for less than £20k. I have a real problem buying cars that cost more than my first house!!

Even better, I could have a larger ICE Kamiq or better still a Cupra Formentor 1.5 - when used models become available. Plenty of Kamiq's available but they are a tad too large as is the Formentor but it does look good.

My wait goes on.