Front Wipers no automatic option in menu

19 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I think the OP is trying to locate the menu to turn the Auto wiping function off so the stalk works as a car without auto wipers. It could be something that has gone missing on the FL, very few people would want to turn the auto function off so it’s likely that VW didn’t enable it in the coding. Have a look in adaptations in the BCM and see if front wiper has anything you think looks about right.

I have a 19 plate 245 and the option for Auto wipers is a menu option.

8 hours ago, TriumphTR6 said:

Will have a check and take a picture.  I enabled HBA and all the options for that appeared in the Lights menu, the symbol on the dash now has the A in the main beam symbol.  Not checked it actually works as I think it requires a minimum speed so putting my hand over the sensor is not definitive

Is HBA standard for the 245 Challenge or did you enable it via VCDS/OBD eleven?

Kenai, you have summed up my problem perfectly.  I am lacking the option in the menu.

JR, you have removed this option in VCDS, can you tell me which module or what coding you changed?

Thanks for the input everyone, the car is still roadworthy, just a pain when things are not how you prefer them

Enabled through VCDS following guides on Britskoda and google.  I have the right symbol on dash, not had a chance to see if it works with lockdown and the light nights.  
Not sure if it’s going to be an option I will use but it’s now available in the menu so it’s easy it select on or off

1 hour ago, TriumphTR6 said:

Enabled through VCDS following guides on Britskoda and google.  I have the right symbol on dash, not had a chance to see if it works with lockdown and the light nights.  
Not sure if it’s going to be an option I will use but it’s now available in the menu so it’s easy it select on or off

Is it possible that the VCDS mods have somehow removed the auto wipers option?

I know that when I did some VCDS mods on my previous VRS, I got some strange results. 

Sadly,  I hadn't taken a backup so couldn't go back to square one.

1 hour ago, TriumphTR6 said:

Was it an adaption or a long coding tick? 

Yes it’s possible my meddling has removed the wiper option, I bought the car from a Skoda dealer in March and have no idea if the option was ever in the menu.  Will take to the local dealer and see what they make of it

For HBA activation best to start with the Britskoda VCDS adaption topic and see if that works for you, if not try google for Audi HBA VCDS which has some other tweaks, sorry not sure which I used 

On 05/06/2020 at 22:35, SC03OTT said:

Automatic rear wiping is when the rear wiper activates when reverse gear is engaged and the front wipers are on. That’s how it works in this case. 

Yeah! I know. That's why I said VW cost cutting!!!!

What annoys me is that it's not even offered as an option.

I just broke the habit of a lifetime and looked in the manual where it says this on page 82:-

Automatic rear wiper
If the windscreen wiping is performed without interruption, then the automatic
regular intermittent wiping of the rear window takes place.

Never worked for me despite being sert up in the infotainment menu.

Edited by YMe

2 minutes ago, YMe said:

Yeah! I know. That's why I said VW cost cutting!!!!

What annoys me is that it's not even offered as an option.

There are models out there with rain sensing rear wipers?

5 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

There are models out there with rain sensing rear wipers?

Do you happen to know if a 2017 SE L 1.5 TSi has this despite what my manual and infotainment tell me?

Referring to the above is it VCDS tweakable?

1 minute ago, YMe said:

Do you happen to know if a 2017 SE L 1.5 TSi has this despite what my manual and infotainment tell me?

Rear rain sensing? No. As far as I know, no models have this. Automatic rear wiping is as I described above. It’s not rain sensing. 

• Like 1

I don't mean rain sensing.

On my 2006 Mk 2 Ambiente if the front wipers were on intermittent but worked contriuously because of heavy rain then the rear wiper would wipe every 4 or so strokes of the front wipers.

My last 2016 Mk3 2.0 TDi had this as well. My current 2017 Mk3 1.5TSi has the option "Automatic rear wipingf" in the infotainment menu but the rear wiper only works when the lever is pushed and stays operating intermittently whatever the weather is doing.

51 minutes ago, YMe said:

I don't mean rain sensing.

On my 2006 Mk 2 Ambiente if the front wipers were on intermittent but worked contriuously because of heavy rain then the rear wiper would wipe every 4 or so strokes of the front wipers.

My last 2016 Mk3 2.0 TDi had this as well. My current 2017 Mk3 1.5TSi has the option "Automatic rear wipingf" in the infotainment menu but the rear wiper only works when the lever is pushed and stays operating intermittently whatever the weather is doing.

"Automatic rear wiping" when ticked in the infotainment menu in my manual says ,it only operates when the wipers are in position 2 or 3 which is not when the wipers are set to rain sensing position 1 (raindrops) . perhaps that might be your issue? 

Yes it’s possible my meddling has removed the wiper option, I bought the car from a Skoda dealer in March and have no idea if the option was ever in the menu.  Will take to the local dealer and see what they make of it

For HBA activation best to start with the Britskoda VCDS adaption topic and see if that works for you, if not try google for Audi HBA VCDS which has some other tweaks, sorry not sure which I used 

I have now managed to restore the menu option for rain sensitive front wipers by reverting the last 8 changes to VCDS.

I usually only make a few tweaks at a time and then use the car for daily use which shows any other associated issues.  Therefore I tend not to follow the very good advice to record exactly what changes I make

Recently I have made a number of tweaks and due to lockdown the car has not been out much

So I had no idea which tweak removed the menu option.  Google was nothing but doom ref not being able to reset the VCDS.  Until today I found an article describing the detailed Change Logs VCDS keeps of all your changes. I reversed all the tweaks back to mid March which resolved my issue.  There was also a log from 2018 when I installed a camera on my previous VRS.  And 2019 for a towbar fit

The logs are in Excel so I have saved them else where as well in case I upgrade the VCDS or laptop.

I am fairly sure which file I made an error on, so will have another at the HBA tweak and check as I go

Not saying the 2 types of VCDS keeps capture everything but it has saved a world of ££££

• Like 2

Good to here you managed to revert your changes and get back your missing functionality in the menu. The log file proved it's worth! Clever Ross-Tech software guys. And there's a text file in the Scans folder too that made me laugh when I opened it. Reads something on the lines of  "Scans are saved here because we were fed up of people saying I didn't save it"😃

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 21:32, paulski said:

The picture of the stalk show larger "drops" that will increase the speed of the wipers, so like I said it's a bit rubbish, you still have tell it to move them faster. It's not very clear in the manual.

so in "intermittent" they will turn on when they sense rain. But to make them faster you have to still move the switch. 

Thats how it's been implemented on this model from VW group I'm afraid. 

No the speed changes automatically for example with lorry spray.

the sensitivity means you can adjust to your preference to avoid smeary dry wipes or it being to slow/fast to react to a few drops for your preference.

• Like 1

Agree with the last post.  The sensitive allows you to finesse how the RLS reacts to the amount of water hitting the screen.  The auto rain system proves most effective when a truck coming the other way or same way and dumps a wave of water on the screen making it impossible to see.  Before you can react and move the wipers stalk to fast, the system has engaged the wipers to a speed which possibly exceeds the max setting achieved by the stalk and cleared the screen.  Well that’s how it looks.  Very useful on motorways at speed in sudden down pours.

Also useful to tweak the sensitivity when theres just drizzle.  80% of the time I leave it in the middle sensitive position.

Its not everyone’s taste, which is why it is an option in the menu. 

• Like 1

I stand corrected then. Life is all about learning. weirdly though I tried it other day in light rain and with the switch to most sensitive and it failed to respond at all when the screen had more than enough droplets to activate the sensor. Flicked it to least sensitive and off it went. Sensor was definitely clean. 

These translated manuals are certainly open to interpretation! 

Edited by paulski

12 hours ago, paulski said:

I stand corrected then. Life is all about learning. weirdly though I tried it other day in light rain and with the switch to most sensitive and it failed to respond at all when the screen had more than enough droplets to activate the sensor. Flicked it to least sensitive and off it went. Sensor was definitely clean. 

These translated manuals are certainly open to interpretation! 

You’ll notice it most on long Spring and autumnal Motorway drives. Light drizzle so slow wipers, but plenty of standing water to create spray.

It automatically wipes when you change sensitivity.

Suggest you leave it on maximum sensitivity and see how it goes. If it doesn’t react then you may have bc a problem, but if it does then you can adjust until you’re happy.

Personally I don’t Like frequent wipes in light rain, so I am happy, but everyone has personal preference.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I find that if you adjust the wipers depending on rain drop size then they work better. Small raindrop for fine drizzle, large raindrop for big drops of rain. Almost like you’re telling the system the type of rain that’s happening and it adjusts accordingly. 

• Like 2

Precipitation on a 40 mile journey today gave me more time to test. And now agree it does alter speed on amount of rain on screen. Left on mid setting it was just right. Light rain it swept occasionally but as it got harder it increased speed. 

I rainx my windscreen every 2-3 months but always avoid the sensor as figured that would mess up how it would react to rain drops. 

Edited by paulski

5 hours ago, paulski said:

Precipitation on a 40 mile journey today gave me more time to test. And now agree it does alter speed on amount of rain on screen. Left on mid setting it was just right. Light rain it swept occasionally but as it got harder it increased speed. 

I rainx my windscreen every 2-3 months but always avoid the sensor as figured that would mess up how it would react to rain drops. 

I have to admit I despise RainX as it badly smears under light rain.

With auto wipers that is far too frequently.

I used aquapel myself, but there are many coatings that are better than rainX.

Still glad you have it behaving as it should.

Can also now confirm with "Automatic rear wipers"  ticked in infotainment, when on continous position 1 or 2 that the rear wiped every 30seconds or so. I also believe I saw when on rain sensing and they went continously for a while the rear wiped on its on own too. Note to self.. Need to get out more, such a saddo studying windscreen wipers...