2 year service plan - brake fluid?

On 10/06/2020 at 11:14, shyVRS245 said:

Brake fluid is normally changed at 3 years from new and then in year 5, 7, 9 etc. It will be an extra cost. It absorbs moisture over time which reduces the braking systems efficiency leading to longer braking distances and if you love your wife/kids safety is number one consideration.

Fluid changes vary considerably depending on manufacturers yet they all use the same stuff!  Under  extreme conditions and a period of very harsh driving it is possible the fluid will overheat prematurely if it is contaminated with moisture. This will cause a condition known as brake fad but in normal driving it is most unlikely to make any difference whatsoever to the emergency stopping distance.  Manufacturers are covering their backs, quite wisely in our sue culture world but if DIY servicing, a tester will quickly establish the actually condition of the fluid. 5 or even 10 year old fluid can often prove to be still serviceable.

• 2 years later...

Just buying a 5 1/2 year Octavia from Skoda Main Dealer. They have finally reluctantly agreed to regass the aircon, which has never been re-gassed since new, and carry out an oil change service as the next one will be due in under six months. They are refusing to change the brake fluid which was last done 2 1/2 years ago when the car was 3 years old. That will mean that the brake fluid  will be 3 1/2 years old by the time the reaches its next service and the brake fluid is changed.

Surely a skoda approved car should be sold with everything up to date according to manufacturers recommendations? if the braking system suffers a problem and it has not been maintained properly, then Skoda would immediately wriggle out of the warranty?

25 minutes ago, italiastar said:

Surely a skoda approved car should be sold with everything up to date according to manufacturers recommendations? if the braking system suffers a problem and it has not been maintained properly, then Skoda would immediately wriggle out of the warranty?

Yes it should, when sold by a Skoda dealer, have everything up to date. Of course, they know the 3 year, then 2 year brake fluid change requirement is bull crap unless you happen bring it to them for a service….
If they are arguing the toss about a £60 brake fluid change I’d walk away, it doesn’t bode well for their attitude if there’s a problem after you’ve bought it. There’s no shortage of used Octavias out there.

Edited by classic
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, classic said:

Yes it should, when sold by a Skoda dealer, have everything up to date. Of course, they know the 3 year, then 2 year brake fluid change requirement is bull crap unless you happen bring it to them for a service….
If they are arguing the toss about a £60 brake fluid change I’d walk away, it doesn’t bode well for their attitude if there’s a problem after you’ve bought it. There’s no shortage of used Octavias out there.

Thx, you telling me what I know, but I just wanted to check that my expectations were unreasonable - how can they be I just want what was advertised at the price advertised, and Skoda say that "All serviceable items within 6 months have been completed. Service history is now up to date if any prior services missed".

They did not budge on price, and then had the cheek to add a £49 admin fee, once deal had been agreed - I believe this has to be stated in advertised price and / or T&Cs but is isn't. I won't even start talking about the cracked tyre, odd tyres on one axle, and damaged alloy which they won't fix. The problem is this one has front parking sensors, which is rare in the pre-2020 model, and this is what my daughter and husband want.

• Like 1

Surprisingly not - it's a small business. I had what i thought was a bad experience with a large multi franchise national one, previously but on the pre-sale they were much better and the preparation in areas i've been speaking about here, all done without need to question.

Edited by ColinD
Edit by request