Is a Racingline map worth the extra money?

45 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

My personal experience of the AS3 is different, I had AS3's on my Audi RS4 when I had it tuned and they were just as drivable after as before - but the Michelin Pilot Super Sport were even better (but noisier).

Don't mind a little extra noise, if they give me far more straight line grip, especially in the wet. With tyre noise I just turn up the volume on my Led Zeppelin album, that drowns it out. lol. Such a hard decision when you have either the AS5 or the PS4S tyres to choose from. If I knew they were identical in grip, I would go with the AS5, as they are £30 each cheaper than the PS4S. themanwithnoaim has had some good experience with the PS4S mind.

2 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Made the decision on tyres and just ordered 2 via Black circles web site. I have gone with the Mitchelin  PS4S. 

How much ?

I generally wait for the Costco deal, last months was £223.86 a pair of R19/235/35 incl. of discount & cashback

20200527_170131.jpg

3 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

How much ?

I generally wait for the Costco deal, last months was £223.86 a pair of R19/235/35 incl. of discount & cashback

20200527_170131.jpg

I paid a fair bit more than that, although they get delivered at a local garage and the price includes fitting and balancing. Might have to look into Costco for the future. 

3 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I paid a fair bit more than that, although they get delivered at a local garage and the price includes fitting and balancing. Might have to look into Costco for the future. 

Their standard discount offer is £50 a pair, then I get a further cashback so, its a fair deal if you're within fithy five quid of that

Edited by themanwithnoaim

1 minute ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Their standard discount offer is £50 a pair, then I get a further cashback so, its a fair deal if you're within fithy five quid of that

The other day on the Blackcircles web site they were offering £15 off if you bought 2 PS4S tyres, but today it had gone. I guess I paid too much for the convenience of getting them delivered and fitted local. Cost,  £320. Stop laughing themanwithnoaim, that's just cruel. LOL 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, roaddetective said:

The other day on the Blackcircles web site they were offering £15 off if you bought 2 PS4S tyres, but today it had gone. I guess I paid too much for the convenience of getting them delivered and fitted local. Cost,  £320. Stop laughing themanwithnoaim, that's just cruel. LOL 

Ouch but, twas convenient 

9 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

@Gerrycan hi & how are you doing ?

Have you seen how well I'm doing with the vRS fuelly 

Screenshot_20200628-161519_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi @themanwithnoaim, we're doing well but I gave up on Fuelly a year so ago when my figures got too compromised by others unrecorded fueling.

I only get around 8L/100 these days with my really short journeys but my wife has discovered that she could get near 5L/100 on her longer journeys in light lockdown traffic and is quite enthusiastic.

I knew there was an eco-warrior deep inside you. I'm just so proud of you 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Hi @themanwithnoaim

I knew there was an eco-warrior deep inside you. I'm just so proud of you 😂

Oh yeah, long, long ago actually in the 90's I was worked in Energy Management when people were honest & admitted they just wanted to save money & didn't give it all this ecology BS.

Glad to hear you & yours are all well & safe

39 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Oh yeah, long, long ago actually in the 90's I was worked in Energy Management when people were honest & admitted they just wanted to save money & didn't give it all this ecology BS.

Glad to hear you & yours are all well & safe

We will have to agree to to differ on the ecology BS. We may not suffer from the consequences of our actions but I do worry for our kids and their descendants.

So as I mentioned earlier, my car went in for a Racingline OEM stage one remap today. Bloody hell is it now fast! The guy said he started with an extremely healthy engine according to the first run on the dyno. As usual with these engines they usually show better bhp and torque than Skoda quote as standard, as was the case with mine. With the stage one map put in, it then showed 329bhp with 499nm of torque. It was running on Tesco 99ron at the time. It still has the rubbish Pirelli Zero tyres on from new, so I have booked it into another garage for 2 new Michelin PS4S this Thursday. No good having the power if you can't put it down. Very very impressed with the end result after my 30mile drive home. I did say to the guy, have you got a very kind dyno, as the power and torque were above Racingline quoted figures. He said the one they use cost £120k and is very accurate. One day perhaps I will get it on a dyno somewhere else to see what comes up. Never mind the figures though, I LOVE IT. Now I just have to remember the classic line from the film Spiderman, "with power comes responsibility".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

So, have you answered your own question now, is a Raceline map worth the money?

I think so, although you can never be 100% certain it was worth it, until you stick all the other maps on your car to test them. Chris at the garage did say after the job was done, I had made the best decision going with the Racingline OEM map, as he generally gets the best results with this one, compared with some others he has used. They used to also use SA Tuning maps, but now as well as Racingline they use Ecotune instead. He did not put any sales pressure on me beforehand to spend more money on Racingline, Just talked about it afterwards. As I am keeping this still quite young vehicle a few years, I just though sod the extra money, try to fit one of the best maps on the market. I certainly know on my drive home afterwards, it brought a smile to my withered craggy old face. Lol 

Was this with any modifications to engine components? (e.g. induction / exhaust etc). I'd be interested to see what mine would be dyno'd at at RL MK HQ (all the acronyms!), given my slightly restrictive figure of 299bhp produced at the 'moody' JKM meet back in Feb, as they hadn't got the dyno cell setup and running when I went back for aftercare support in late 2019.

I wonder if they'd entertain a longer term customer check...

Edited by Ads230

1 minute ago, Ads230 said:

Was this with any modifications to engine components? (e.g. induction / exhaust etc). I'd be interested to see what mine would be dyno'd at at RL MK HQ (all the acronyms!), given my slightly restrictive figure produced at JKM back in Feb of 299bhp, as they hadn't got the dyno cell setup and running when I went back for aftercare support in late 2019.

I wonder if they'd entertain a longer term customer check...

Hi Ads230. My car is completely stock, no hardware mods at all. Maybe if ever there is a group dyno check somewhere else, I will see what comes up on their dyno. Can't believe how hard it now pulls though!

"It transformed my pre-FL 230 and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Had zero issues since fixing the EMS light fault when initially remotely setup (which occurred between when I bought it as a 'Shark' map, which I then went to Racingline's Milton Keynes HQ (once bought out) to get it sorted for free). Now has a much flatter torque curve, 300bhp last indicated at JKM's Portsmouth rolling road day, validated by the extra mods I've added.

Can't speak for the difference between Racingline and other maps, as don't have any experience with other map vendors. However, the aftercare from Racingline has been excellent whenever I've had support queries." (11/06/2020 at 15:48, Ads230)

(Realised that my previous post was deleted on the repeat thread)

Really glad you're finding it worth the extra money. Most Racingline customers I've also talked to have said the same thing - I love both the linearity and pulling power it delivers over the stock performance. It definitely makes me smile more, which is probably the most important thing IMHO.

It makes sense that they call it "OEM+"; would be nice if they could tweak it to optimise the induction kit, downpipe and exhaust I've got on mine but c'est la vie.

I'll be interested to hear whether this causes any issues with the clutch over time.  If those dyno figures are accurate, that's a 50% increase in torque near enough and 25% more than the Golf R that apparently slips in oem form.

Also, with standard hardware will this not generate a higher than normal intake temp due to the std intercooler and the increased pressure?  Not sure if this is monitored anywhere?

Just curious.  

3 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

I'll be interested to hear whether this causes any issues with the clutch over time.  If those dyno figures are accurate, that's a 50% increase in torque near enough and 25% more than the Golf R that apparently slips in oem form.

Also, with standard hardware will this not generate a higher than normal intake temp due to the std intercooler and the increased pressure?  Not sure if this is monitored anywhere?

Just curious.  

Hopefully the clutch will be fine for a while, but if not I will have an uprated one fitted. As for the extra heat, it's not going to ever be used on a track and I certainly don't floor it that often. With the odd short blast on an overtake for instance, I am sure it will be fine. The reason I went with Racingline, is their vast experience in this area and the numerous testing of the product they have made.