Octavia MK III Brake Dust Shield

Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 Octavia MK III pre FL 1.4 petrol. Driving home today I heard a rattling noise from the front drivers side wheel which got louder the slower I went.

When I got home I popped the wheel off and the brake dust shield fell off. It doesn't have any rust or anything and looks like it's been ripped off. I haven't hit anything like potholes or speed bumps.

My question is, can a replacement be fitted by just taking the calliper and disc off or does the hub need to come off too.

Is this common for these to fail like this?

Thanks folks,

John 

Dust Shield.jpg

seems quite common as mine came off last week, 2016 plate. Thought my exhaust was dragging it made that much noise. Looked similar to yours with the mounting holes damaged. Haven't got it sorted yet, as my pads need changing soon so will do it then.

• Like 1

Mine did the exact same on my 15 plate Scout when I had it ---- I replaced both front ones in the end as the other looked iffy.  It is a disc off job

• Like 1

Fatigue failure, on the MK2's they fail in the same way but only when they are completely rusted to hell and the material has lost most of its thickness.

I would say that they have found a source of even thinner tin foil to make them out of if they are failing when there is no sign of rust, the dished part is a stress raiser but either the material is more brittle or thinner than before, probably the former to permit the latter.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 12:12, weehappypixie said:

Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 Octavia MK III pre FL 1.4 petrol. Driving home today I heard a rattling noise from the front drivers side wheel which got louder the slower I went.

When I got home I popped the wheel off and the brake dust shield fell off. It doesn't have any rust or anything and looks like it's been ripped off. I haven't hit anything like potholes or speed bumps.

My question is, can a replacement be fitted by just taking the calliper and disc off or does the hub need to come off too.

Is this common for these to fail like this?

Thanks folks,

John 

Dust Shield.jpg

Yes you can remove brake calliper and disc to can access to the brake shield. no need to remove hub.

• Like 1

Thanks folks,

Yes the metal does look a bit thin. The dealer said they only keep the drivers side in stock and it's a common issue. 

Got a new one and the 3 screws for £18 so if it's dry at the weekend then I'll get it swapped over.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

John