Offsetting BRISKODA's environmental impact, or planting trees for posts

ColinD

52 minutes ago, MiyamotoSmin said:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but if carbon offset and the environment matters to you as an individual; there's an energy company in the UK called 'Bulb' that uses 100% renewable electricity and their gas is 100% carbon neutral!😊 

Bulb are strongly rumoured to be about to fold imminently.

6 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Bulb are strongly rumoured to be about to fold imminently.

*******s . . . well I guess I'm glad I posted this now, forewarned is forearmed! Thanks :) 

• Administrators

I don’t think any of them actually use 100% renewables.

you’ll find an asterix somewhere that talks about carbon/unit trading or something akin to that.

there is no way the kettle I just turned on can use energy guaranteed to me from renewables. It might come from nuclear. The units I’ve used as a whole maybe traded against renewables. 

So come month, year end when trading done my energy impact will be tallied against renewables.

that’s how I’ve understood it anyhow :)

still better to be done than not done :)

octopus is another strong contender.

i think all the energy companies are at risk, so not worrying about it till the government has to renationalise it. After all why should there be obscene profits on a required resource. Those profits that disappeared, capitalism at work now. The big ones will ride it out, then make up for it. 😞

altough you could argue only water is truly required for life.

reducing our energy consumption is the logical step… silly little things like, wearing a jumper or two. I have a body warmer on under a jumper on top of two t shirts :) heating won’t be on today. 

frogs might be playing in the cellar though.

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I don’t think any of them actually use 100% renewables.

you’ll find an asterix somewhere that talks about carbon trading or something akin to that.

there is no way the kettle I just turned on can use energy guarantee me from renewables. It might of come from nuclear. The units I’ve used as a whole maybe traded against renewables. 

So come month, year end when trading done my energy impact will be tallied against renewables.

that’s how I’ve understood it anyhow :)

still better to be done than not done :)

octopus is another strong contender.

i think all the energy companies are at risk, so not worrying about it till the government has to renationalise it. After all why should there be obscene profits on a required resource. Those profits that disappeared, capitalism at work now. The big ones will ride it out, then make up for it. 😞

altough you could argue only water is truly required for life.

reducing our energy consumption is the logical step… silly little things like, wearing a jumper or two. I have a body warmer on under a jumper on top of two t shirts :) heating won’t be on today. 

frogs might be playing in the cellar though.

I mean, yes, it's impossible for an individual to ensure they are using renewable energy unless they are off grid and using their own solar panels etc; but as I understand it, and paraphrasing bulb, for every unit a customer uses, bulb make sure a unit is produced and put on the grid by a renewable source including solar, wind and hydro. Plus, their gas is 100% carbon neutral as they offset the emissions from the gas they supply by supporting carbon reduction projects around the world. They're also one of the biggest buyers of green gas for homes in the UK.

With that being the case, I'd rather be spending my pennies on a company that seems to give back, than those bigger companies that are all about profit. But yes, I completely agree in as much as, the best thing we can do is reduce the energy we use; which isn't the easiest thing as we seem to have become a nation reliant on technological advance and our creature comforts. :') 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 23/10/2021 at 13:32, ColinD said:

Thanks, Colin! Those wee trees aren't even too far away from me so I might go a nosey someday. :)

On 10/07/2020 at 14:53, ColinD said:

Reading through the What3Words allocations, I seem to have the most bad ass spot in the forest lol

sylvester stallone rambo GIF

Edited by FUBAR
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

ive just realised i may be one of those anonymous planters from the early days, as i cant sign in to website at the moment...

Edited by mac11irl

• 4 weeks later...