Offsetting BRISKODA's environmental impact, or planting trees for posts

ColinD

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

A huge thanks to 45 people this month newly signing up or renewing both freedom lite and freedom.

We've added a further 100 trees to our efforts.

I'm settling down on 1 tree per freedom lite, and two per freedom. Then rounding up, because the planet could use a little help and not all trees will make it ;)

Remember this is coming out of the pot from advertisers; which you'll also not see anymore of, so less data on your phone, power win, win, and a win.

Co2 wise, the server is still putting out a paltry amount in the grand scheme of things. So a 2 tonne offset is still more than covering us this month.

I'll be making the contribution later in Sept ( Oct 2020 is 18years since launch of site ) that should make us carbon negative from a server/technology position. It's rough, I can't tell you how long I had my laptop or desktop on for in the last 18years... so I'm going for safe rounding, assuming 24hrs a day. It's been a fun mental game.

I've also been wracking my mind as to trips I've done just for briskoda, like driving to milton keynes to meet skoda marketing reps and talk about mumsnet. 

I've also decided to back fill orders on the basis of 1 tree per order, which is more than I'm doing at the moment. Again, we're trying to be negative, not neutral and overkill is underrated, right?

So, in a few weeks I'll be dropping a lot more trees and carbon offsets ;)

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sorry @FUBAR, going to mess your nice number up with a further 64 trees for freedom and 9 for stickers, so a total of 73 trees, which I'll round up. > https://ecologi.com/briskoda?tree=5f772b16a53e890018f36e0e

Another 2 tonnes, ample again.

I'll be making the contribution later in Sept ( Oct 2020 is 18years since launch of site ) that should make us carbon negative from a server/technology position. It's rough, I can't tell you how long I had my laptop or desktop on for in the last 18years... so I'm going for safe rounding, assuming 24hrs a day. It's been a fun mental game.

When I said Sept, I meant Oct as that's the sites birthday. So before the 22nd. Will be a fun number to play with and I'll have to do a last minute change to keep OCD ODO tree's in check ;)

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I forgot to do Octobers tree update in october, so I've just done it now.

https://ecologi.com/briskoda?tree=5fc13a725b6349001c70f4cc

Another 2tonnes of Co2 offset, we use <1/2 a tonne, and trees, again I've rounded up to 100 trees.

Thanks to all joining, renewing freedom and purchasing stickers.

Thanks also to those adding to our little forest inbetween. Get in touch if you want your trees in your profile ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I also chopped a few trees down in the garden this month and there are 3 more to go :(

I'm not counting the 5yard skip full of leylandi weed from one trim... why I didn't grub it all out when we moved in I'll never know....

Edited by ColinD

3 hours ago, ColinD said:

I also chopped a few trees down in the garden this month and there are 3 more to go :(

I'm not counting the 5yard skip full of leylandi weed from one trim... why I didn't grub it all out when we moved in I'll never know....

leylandi should be on the invasive and noxious species lists

14 hours ago, mac11irl said:

leylandi should be on the invasive and noxious species lists

I like 'em.  Just so long as they're not in my back yard :notme:

G

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

So after writing most of December off.. I'm back :)

November trees rounded up to 70 :bearhug: https://ecologi.com/briskoda?tree=5ff831dc688d7b001d42760e

December trees bumped up to 100 for the christmas trees felled over the years: https://ecologi.com/briskoda?tree=5ff8321c13bddb001c55d94f

2tonnes of co 2 for each month aswell.

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been watching Our Perfect Planet on catch up. Episode one was a real eye opener. A 1% increase in temperature increases ****e weather by 7%.
I thought I was 'climate aware' but the importance of plankton and phytoplankton blew my mind.
Great to see people planting so many tree seeds in Africa.
I'll be adding a few more trees to help in my small way to hopefully avert a climate disaster.
Our Perfect Planet is available on BBC iPlayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to be able to help and thank you for allowing us to sponsor your forum. If anyone has any questions or requires advice/application confirmation for our products, please let Me know. We are always open to receiving feedback so fire away.....

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Bit of a quieter month this one, but still going strong. 2tonnes co2, and 160 trees. 

Here are your trees -> https://ecologi.com/briskoda?treeId=6042020d0be9e4001d36fb76

Hopefully from next month, we'll be adding a UK tree. In a scottish forrest. I'm trying to come up with a way of putting that tree in someone's name. We'd get a geotag and photo, and in theory you can even go and visit it, so the blurb says ;)

I'm thinking like a monthly prize :) Someone from freedom will be that tree's "virtual owner". This is rough and I'm still working it out, but one can hope :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Late to the party again.... missed earth day too :(

Hint set reminders on calendar, add alert.

So March... 300 trees, here are your trees -> https://ecologi.com/briskoda?treeId=607aa701fdf35d5e57ae5c82

Due to a bug in the ecologi site I can't do the UK tree draw/assignment. However we did get 10 trees as part of a bug bounty :)

This means that next month, someone will 'win' a UK tree. By win I mean, it will be yours in a virtual sense.

The majority of the reforestation we do happens in low cost, high impact parts of the world to be as effective as possible during the climate crisis. However, you can now add support for a project in the UK with a small additional donation.

So each month I'll add one of these UK trees, £3.55 at the time of writing to our monthly pot. Each month I'll randomly mention a freedom member whose tree this is very loosely assigned to. I cant' actually alter the tree on the ecologi site; a feature request logged, so it will just have to be a here and now mention.

Although if I was smart, I'd make it a table in the first post :)

More on that next month.

Now I did miss earth day... I had grand plans!

For his month, so what's left of April, any purchase of a clump of trees:

I'll match from our advertising/sponsors pot(not freedom). So your 25 becomes our 50, and I'll tag them as yours :)

I know the pubs have opened; saw my first queue of 2021. Anyhow, a clump of trees is less than a pint, and you don't have to queue up for it ;)

Thank you for your support.

• Like 3

Every time I have tried to log into ecologi it mugs me off, I've tried forgotten password route and it says check you email, but never comes. :crying:

• Administrators

Send their support an email. To be honest it takes a few goes to get the right response, they really need to improve that support service. Pardon the pun, I think they have had a lot of growth. 

I've hit a few problems, maybe 3 or 4 and eventually got it sorted. But I've given them way more latitude than many sites that I'm essentially paying for product on.

• Administrators

That's a lot of 4's

I wish I had the forethought of mind to see these events coming.

And the planning, 44.4 since start!  And soooooooooo dam close on the temprature too. 15.5 has a synergy to 44.4.

That is some planning @FUBAR

Kind of feels a shame to add more... See you in 10k? at 15:55 ;)

Edited by ColinD

2 minutes ago, ColinD said:

That's a lot of 4's

I wish I had the forethought of mind to see these events coming.

And the planning, 44.4 since start!  And soooooooooo dam close on the temprature too. 15.5 has a synergy to 44.4.

That is some planning @FUBAR

Kind of feels a shame to add more... See you in 10k? at 15:55 ;)

Getting 44.4MPG required damaging the environment as per here: 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

No not forgotten about our trees... april is year end, and I've still not done it all :( 

Actually been driving the car a bit... mostly to hospital and back to see poorly people. 

Ok so belatedly Aprils trees: https://ecologi.com/briskoda?treeId=60adea9436d53422c1c0dfcd

• Like 2