Service plan questions

Hi, bought my Octavia new under a PCP in August 2017 with £279 Service Plan.  It went in for a service March 2019 covered on the plan.  Then I had a battery problem and they changed it under the warranty.  Had a call the other day to say the service was overdue, but the car was saying another 10,500 miles or 256 days.  I'll have a guess that when they changed the battery, it reset the car to variable servicing.  So called them today and booked it in for MOT and service next month.

They also said I need a brake fluid change.  My husband doesn't think it needs a brake fluid change!!   Car mileage is 20746

So do I need a service or not?  And do I really need a brake fluid change?

Edited by freeb1rd

Has the car had inspections carried out since last March and do you want to leave that for another winter / year before looked at other than getting a MOT?

The recommended brake fluid change is at 3 years then every 2 years.

You can ignore that if you want or maybe your husband can check the brake fluid to see what H20 content might be.

?

What miles had the car done when serviced last March?

Maybe the Service indicator was not reset from the Variable / Flexible service interval of 24 months / 18,000-20,000 miles.

If reset to Fixed service last March that would have been 9,400 miles / 372 days, which ever comes first.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Hi - car had done 12539 miles at service in March 2019.  I suppose that's also a possibility that they didn't reset the service interval.   They told me when I bought it that the car is supposed to be on Fixed service intervals if under PCP or doing less than 10K a year.  But maybe it just wasn't set on Fixed in the first place.

Would you recommend I go for the service.  I have only done just over 7K since the last service.  We are actually going to keep the car when the PCP stops next January.  Do you have an opinion on whether Variable servicing is OK for a low mileage car?

Edited by freeb1rd

Hi, according to the Skoda service schedule it is due to have a 1st brake fluid change after 3 years, then every 2 years after that. On the fixed service interval it needs a service every 12 months or 10000 miles so it was due in March, I guess the computer on the car was set, incorrectly in your case, for variable service.
In your circumstances with the pcp and a service plan I would get the service and brake fluid change done. Does the service plan not include the brake fluid change ?

'Service Plans' did not include Brake Fluid Changes. (£60 at a service) or DSG / Haldex Oil changes.

There are new Skoda Bespoke 'Service Plans' that cover various things and are at various prices.

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 12.17.32.png

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 12.17.47.png

Edited by Roottoot

20 minutes ago, classic said:

Hi, according to the Skoda service schedule it is due to have a 1st brake fluid change after 3 years, then every 2 years after that. On the fixed service interval it needs a service every 12 months or 10000 miles so it was due in March, I guess the computer on the car was set, incorrectly in your case, for variable service.
In your circumstances with the pcp and a service plan I would get the service and brake fluid change done. Does the service plan not include the brake fluid change ?

No it doesn't include it.   OK, so will stick with the service, although it seems early with only 7K miles done since the last one.  Lockdown didn't help!!

If the Service Plan is for 2 services at Fixed Service Intervals then you do need to use it or lose it.

@ 2 years old they will have called that last service a Major Service and the Pollen Filter should have been changed then.  Was it?

Now not much is getting done, but if any matters arise then maybe they are covered under warranty.

Was March 2019 the first and only Service,

was the car not in around August 2018 so a Service Plan with 2 fixed services?

Edited by Roottoot

Hi - no, the car told me it was due March 2019, so I booked a service.  Looking back, you are right, I should have had a service at August 2018 - one year, so I guess it was set for variable.  I have the app on my phone so can see the dates.  Will ask about pollen filter, doesn't say on the paperwork.

There's a big difference as to what the car 'needs' and what you need to do to either keep a warranty valid or maintain value come resale.

My other car is 21 years old, has been serviced by me for 13.5 years and do I stick to the rigid 2yrs for brake fluid change or  1 yr inspections or oil changes?  No.  Is it older than pretty much anyone I know's car?  Yes.  Has it ever let me down?  No.   Do I do some tasks proactively that aren't called for on servicing?  Yes.  I don't do many miles and I take a sensible approach to what's needed myself.