Memory seats

So, when I got the car, I set the memory 1 position to my seat position.

I didn't set the others.

I tried recently to set up position for my wife and it won't allow me to.

It doesn't beep when you hold the button down.  

It still remembers position 1 ok if I change the position though.

It also puts it to the same position if I hit memory 2, but sets the mirrors right down.  

I can manually adjust everything fine and tbh it's not really an issue as I mainly drive the car so it doesn't come up much.

I've no idea how you're supposed to set it up per fob either, pretty sure it's supposed to do that but doesn't seem to do anything when I unlock it.

Any ideas?

I considered wiping the seat memory via the infotainment system but I'll probably just end up wiping position 1 and not be able to set any then.

I have obd11 if that helps, no errors are flagged up relating to seats.

You say it doesn't bleep when you hold the button down.    Are you pressing the mem button first and then holding down button 2 ?

8 hours ago, Alex-W said:

So, when I got the car, I set the memory 1 position to my seat position.

I didn't set the others.

I tried recently to set up position for my wife and it won't allow me to.

It doesn't beep when you hold the button down.  

It still remembers position 1 ok if I change the position though.

It also puts it to the same position if I hit memory 2, but sets the mirrors right down.  

I can manually adjust everything fine and tbh it's not really an issue as I mainly drive the car so it doesn't come up much.

I've no idea how you're supposed to set it up per fob either, pretty sure it's supposed to do that but doesn't seem to do anything when I unlock it.

Any ideas?

I considered wiping the seat memory via the infotainment system but I'll probably just end up wiping position 1 and not be able to set any then.

I have obd11 if that helps, no errors are flagged up relating to seats.

If you have 3 individual keys the buttons on the seat doesn't work, is that the case? 

Yes, because those buttons work if you dont have individual keys. You set your positions, lock the car, take away key, unlock the car with wifes key, set her positions and preferences of multimedia, ambient light etc and then lock the car, all is saved, also you can rename memories in multimedia. The issue I have with this when 2 keys are close to the car, they swop the memory or mixes up settings which is annoying. 

I did try locking the car and unlocking with the seat in another position but it didn't return to my position when I unlocked it.  It does when I press 1 though and doesn't move again.

I don't have kessy btw. 

I'm not sure what you mean though, the buttons should work, however many keys I have.  I'm not overly concerned about the keys thing mind as I use both keys anyway so don't particularly want that set.

51 minutes ago, FrankLK said:

But do you have 3 keys or not? 

I have individual memories and buttons on the seat don't react.

I also have the 3 key individual option + electric seats and all the memories work on mine !   ( If you wanted to permanently re-adjust your seat, how else could you do it without using seat memory? I was under the impression all the individual option does is store that seat memory + heating settings / radio settings etc. ).  

Alex - do you have electric passenger seat? Does memory function work on that?

EDIT:  I've never tried this and have simply copy and pasted it from elsewhere, so don't blame me if your car ends up a write-off, :D   but to reset memory seats on a VW...

To reset the seat memory:

1. Put key in ignition and turn the ignition on (Engine does not need to be running)
  2. From the outside the vehicle, use the lower seat cushion button to move the seat all the way forward. Once it stops hit the button again to make sure seat isall the way forward.
  3. Use the lower seat cushion button to move the seat up towards the roof. Once it stops, press the button again to make sure seat Is all the way up
  4. Use the backrest button to move the seat forward towards the steering wheel. Once it stops hit the button again to make sure the seat is all the way forward.
  5. You are now ready for programming.

The person who's seat memory seemed to have it's knickers in a twist tried that and it solved the problem.

Edited by Guest

I have electric passenger seat, but it's got no memory function, the memory is only on the driver's seat.

I'm fairly sure that even with the keys working, the buttons should still work.  That would be absurd if it didn't...  you go grab your wife's keys  to pop out and then have to set the seat manually?  

But no, I only have 2 keys, not 3.  That's all the car came with, tbh until now I didn't question whether there should be more as I presumed that was normal.

I'll try the method above then.

I did google it and it seems the issue has come up and people have taken it to a dealer, who's done something undefined and it's been ok after.   

I have a feeling it may be linked to the bad battery I had as when I looked on OBD11 after that there was a whole load of errors logged due to the low voltage.   

3 hours ago, Alex-W said:

I've tried pressing the set and number together or just the set button but I get no beep/bong to show the seat position is set.

Maybe you already tried it but... The procedure is as follows: first "Set", then press the number button. Not together, not just "Set".

6 hours ago, Alex-W said:

I'm fairly sure that even with the keys working, the buttons should still work.  That would be absurd if it didn't...  you go grab your wife's keys  to pop out and then have to set the seat manually?  

But no, I only have 2 keys, not 3.  

I have full kessy so maybe thats the reason. 

When I start the car on maxidot is displayed my name, if I take wifes key, her name will be displayed, then I scroll to mine and accept, memory will switch  to mine. Memory is not only seat, it is also AC, multimedia settings, ambient light settings etc. 

Yes, also if 2 keys are in car often the mirrors gets wrong memory, for that reason I have rfid key bags but after some time they also start to "leak" the signal. There is also possibility to code comfort entry of the seat but I don't like seat moving with me. 

On 15/07/2020 at 07:55, Scot5 said:

To reset the seat memory:

1. Put key in ignition and turn the ignition on (Engine does not need to be running)
  2. From the outside the vehicle, use the lower seat cushion button to move the seat all the way forward. Once it stops hit the button again to make sure seat isall the way forward.
  3. Use the lower seat cushion button to move the seat up towards the roof. Once it stops, press the button again to make sure seat Is all the way up
  4. Use the backrest button to move the seat forward towards the steering wheel. Once it stops hit the button again to make sure the seat is all the way forward.
  5. You are now ready for programming.

The person who's seat memory seemed to have it's knickers in a twist tried that and it solved the problem.

Worth a try, but alas, no, didn't do anything.   

On 15/07/2020 at 10:08, Mardu said:

Maybe you already tried it but... The procedure is as follows: first "Set", then press the number button. Not together, not just "Set".

I've tried all combinations but no, doesn't do it.

• 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, ormand1976 said:

Hi can anyone help with the coding bits of the memory seat module, Octavia 2018 5Q0959760B I can't see any text just tick boxes 

You might want to add some more context.

What are you trying to achieve and do you have an autoscan to show how your car is configured?