Main dealer fee for investigating problem ?

Hi..... I have just booked my car in for the local dealer (DM Keith Leeds) to investigate a potential problem with the Evap System (possible leak) but it's been about 30 years since I've taken a car to a main dealer for servicing or repairs so not sure how these things work now.  I think I've read somewhere on here that dealers charge a fee for "trying" to identify a problem, which subsequently gets waived if it turns out to be covered by warranty.

Can anyone tell me if it's definitely true that they will charge a fee even if they can't find the fault ?  (They didn't mention anything about it on the phone when I booked it in)

Also, they said they may need the car for three or four days, which I find astonishing.  Whenever I have taken my car to a local garage over the years, they have always identified the problem the same day (and usually fixed it the same day or day after).

Thanks

Edited by DB72
note added

In my experience, I didn't get charged for repairs or inspections for warrantied repairs, whilst my car was under warranty. Since then, I understand I will be charged as mentioned,for testing, with the repair including all or part of that fee, if done with them, at the same time.

If however, you drive away, you just pay for the diagnostics. Unfortunately, you don't say how old the vehicle is, if you had it from new, if it was a warrantied used car, etc. These things can make some difference.

1 minute ago, mrgf said:

Unfortunately, you don't say how old the vehicle is, if you had it from new, if it was a warrantied used car, etc. These things can make some difference.

It's a 2018 (registered March) which I bought as an approved used car in January this year.  I think I have a minor fault (charcoal canister/evap system) but don't know how easy it will be to diagnose as there's no warning light and no problem with how the car's running, so I'm half tempted to leave it for the moment and maybe get them to have a quick look at service time in a few months instead. 

If the car is under warranty they won’t charge for diagnostics. 

If the car is out of warranty (or on a separately purchased extended warranty) they will charge for diagnostics.

As soon as mine went out of warranty I stopped going to Skoda, all of their prices are a joke. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 20:39, drewellis said:

If the car is under warranty they won’t charge for diagnostics. 

They won't charge for diagnostics if the repair is done under warranty. If they decide it isn't a warranty job they will charge, in even if you don't have the job done.

15 hours ago, facet edge said:

They won't charge for diagnostics if the repair is done under warranty. If they decide it isn't a warranty job they will charge, in even if you don't have the job done.

In my experience this decision is made before they look at it but you’re right, if the problem turns out to be with a part that isn’t covered under warranty then you’ll have to pay the diagnostic fee 👍

there's a way round having to pay a diagnostic fee though

if your not sure that the problem you have will be found or will be chargeable under warranty, create another fault which you know will be covered  🤪

you could disconnect a wire or loosen a connector  which brings on a warning light , then book both faults in for investigation

most dealers are bra$$tards,  you have to play them at there owm game