L&K or SE L (Drive)

stuartmc

I am thinking of getting a Yeti and trying to deciide between a L&K and an SE L Drive. With what I've read about the sunroof on the L&K what would I miss out on if I go for a SE L or SE L Drive instead. it would be 2016/2017 2L DSG 4X4. Any help identifying the extras fitted to the L&K would help.

You would miss out on; Brown leather seats, Leaky roof, Park assist and Diamond cut Alloy wheels which get white worm.

I would go for the SEL Drive, try to find one with front parking sensors fitted.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RickT said:

I would go for the SEL Drive, try to find one with front parking sensors fitted.  

Mine's an SE Drive and came with front and rear parking sensors.

I think they're standard fit on all Drive models.

You're right front sensors were STD on the Drive models.  Check out this is a cut & paste from the brochure;

Yeti SE. As standard dual-zone climate control plus Bluetooth connectivity are included, while the new car also features a satellite navigation system with DAB digital radio, an auto-dimming rear view mirror, a heated windscreen, heated front seats and front and rear parking sensors. 17-inch alloy wheels and new seat upholstery round off the additions.

SE L Drive models get these same additions, as well as leather upholstery, LED taillights, part silver roof rails, different 17-inch wheels and Bi-Xenon headlamps. 

• Like 1

Go for the SEL Drive and, if possible, get one with a reversing camera. Mine is an SEL Drive with the reversing camera and I didn’t realise how useful a reversing camera was until I got it. Provides excellent view of everything that’s going on behind you while reversing - including those pesky low rise bollards which you can’t see by looking and which reversing beepers can miss.

8 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Go for the SEL Drive and, if possible, get one with a reversing camera. Mine is an SEL Drive with the reversing camera and I didn’t realise how useful a reversing camera was until I got it. Provides excellent view of everything that’s going on behind you while reversing - including those pesky low rise bollards which you can’t see by looking and which reversing beepers can miss.

Reversing camera looks like a good idea. Can one be retrofitted? I had one retrofitted to my C-Class Merc and was worth the £450 it cost. All the cabling was there already just needed the camera adding and the head unit programming.

1 hour ago, stuartmc said:

Reversing camera looks like a good idea. Can one be retrofitted? I had one retrofitted to my C-Class Merc and was worth the £450 it cost. All the cabling was there already just needed the camera adding and the head unit programming.

Beyond my technical knowledge I am afraid, however, I am sure someone on the Forum will come back with an answer.

1 hour ago, stuartmc said:

No cables in place so compatible camera will need to be wired from camera in tailgate to head unit.

Edited by Urrell
spelling

When I bought my Yeti wanted the SE L model but the L&K worked out cheaper for what I wanted, so your choice maybe down to what's available.

Skoda were running a very good PCH deal in 2017 on L&K many of which will be on the market now.

I've had my L&K 1.4 for 4 years and have had absolutely no problems with the sun roof, and no wheel corrosion. If I'm being picky the centre 'Skoda' wheel caps have white edges now but that happened on my previous Yeti and most others I've seen. The brown seats don't bother me in the slightest and all the extra bells and whistles make it a really nice car.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, andyspan said:

I've had my L&K 1.4 for 4 years and have had absolutely no problems with the sun roof, and no wheel corrosion. If I'm being picky the centre 'Skoda' wheel caps have white edges now but that happened on my previous Yeti and most others I've seen. The brown seats don't bother me in the slightest and all the extra bells and whistles make it a really nice car.

We have had a 2014 L&K for 2 years now (second owners).

Don't want to jinx it but our roof has also been fine, and the wheels have been perfect (although I don't know if the wheels were refurbed before our ownership, I know they at least had new centre caps at some point).

Has been issue free other than a leaking water pump (changed along with timing belt) and dodgy headlamp DRL (had to change whole unit, being LED).

IMG_20200614_134608.jpg

• Like 1

Note that the SEL Drive has the same wheels as the L&K, except on the L&K the spokes are infilled in black. There was an option on the SEL Drive to pay extra for diamond cut wheels, but I couldn't see the point as they get the white worm, and made the car look like the SE Drive which had this type as standard, but in a slightly different colour. I don't think there was a wheel upgrade option on the L&K.

The L&K had really nothing that I wanted, but was a bargain if you did want the sunroof and park assist as it was only about £500 more than the SEL Drive just before I bought mine. The sunroof and park assist would have added £1600 to the SEL Drive if I had ticked those on the options list.  Personally have never missed a sunroof, as that is what air conditioning is for, and I can park pretty well manually with the front and rear sensors fitted as standard. Personally I think the black interior in my car is much better than the dark brown seats of the L&K.

Edited by kenfowler3966

I must be lucky then, mine will be 5 years old in November and no white worm on the wheels yet, fingers crossed!

I seldom open the sunroof so this may be why I haven't had a problem but it makes the cabin a far nicer place to be and a lot nicer than my solid roofed previous Yeti which felt a little gloomy.

• Like 3

If you're buying used with a sunroof then you are knowingly taking a risk of leaks. The only question then is - are you feeling lucky - well are you? 

5 hours ago, Expatman said:

If you're buying used with a sunroof then you are knowingly taking a risk of leaks. The only question then is - are you feeling lucky - well are you? 

Dont forget buying anything used you are at the risk of everything being a problem not just Pano roofs .... which DONT always leak, but you pays your money and you takes your choice ....

Caveat Emptor .... do your checks carefully, there are always signs of impending doom!

8 hours ago, andyspan said:

I must be lucky then, mine will be 5 years old in November and no white worm on the wheels yet, fingers crossed!

I seldom open the sunroof so this may be why I haven't had a problem but it makes the cabin a far nicer place to be and a lot nicer than my solid roofed previous Yeti which felt a little gloomy.

Bit of worm starting on the centre caps (but easily replaced) otherwise, just as andy span said re sunroof

• Like 2

I wonder how widespread the problem with the roof really is? Obviously people with a problem often use forums as their first port of call but it would be interesting to know what percentage of the many vehicles sold actually have it.

I was lead to believe checking roof, body components etc. was part of the dealer service schedule.

The only thing I have to decide now is do I get rid of the car before the 'arm and a leg' 5 year service/timing belt extravaganza in November🤔

53 minutes ago, andyspan said:

I wonder how widespread the problem with the roof really is? Obviously people with a problem often use forums as their first port of call but it would be interesting to know what percentage of the many vehicles sold actually have it.

I was lead to believe checking roof, body components etc. was part of the dealer service schedule.

The only thing I have to decide now is do I get rid of the car before the 'arm and a leg' 5 year service/timing belt extravaganza in November🤔

If you get rid of it now the cost of the service/timing belt will be built into the price you will get anyway. 

15 hours ago, Expatman said:

If you get rid of it now the cost of the service/timing belt will be built into the price you will get anyway. 

If they want a sale it wont!

My arm and leg service seems to be this year, not in year 5!

Car is just over 3 years old but I have the MOT extension, so the car will need shortly

Major 3 year service

MOT

Brake fluid change at 3 years

Haldex service, possibly should have been earlier, but all working fine so far with drive to rear when needed

Gearbox oil change for dsg as 40k soon

However all will have to be done even if I was to return at end of lease in December, so I might as well stump up, and buy the car, as next major cost will not be until the cambelt....

As the car was supposed to have done 54k based on previous cars by then, and will now only be about 40k it will be a bargain at the settlement figure to keep it.

Edited by kenfowler3966

1 hour ago, andyspan said:

If they want a sale it wont!

They have to make a profit from the deal and will be well aware of any impending costs which will have to be factored in somewhere in the deal. 

18 hours ago, Expatman said:

They have to make a profit from the deal and will be well aware of any impending costs which will have to be factored in somewhere in the deal. 

That may or not be the case but they would only have to factor in what the service will cost THEM to do not what I would have to pay as a customer. Again I don't think dealers, particularly in current times, are likely to loose the sale of a brand new vehicle and the subsequent servicing etc. over a few hundred quid. 

46 minutes ago, andyspan said:

That may or not be the case but they would only have to factor in what the service will cost THEM to do not what I would have to pay as a customer. Again I don't think dealers, particularly in current times, are likely to loose the sale of a brand new vehicle and the subsequent servicing etc. over a few hundred quid. 

You’re right, but car dealers don’t make a fortune on new car sales. It’s the extras and financing where the money is and that’s why in many cases it is now more expensive to buy a car with cash than on a PCP deal. I was pointing out that the cost of the service will have been built in at some point of your deal, perhaps not as much as you would have to pay for the work, but certainly something. As my Yorkshire father-in-law used to tell me “you don’t get owt for nowt lad - not in this life”.