Superb 272 Sportline vs Golf R Estate

Cheers all, 

I clearly have a lot to think about, the petrolhead in me really wants the R (as does Mrs Cookie) but the sensible side knows the Superb is the more sensible choice 😫

Gutted about the lack of farts......

Unfortunately I have no room to argue the case for leather, it’s a flat ‘no’ from her 🤦🏻‍♂️

A remap would definitely be on the cards, the whole world of remaps baffles me though with so many big names offering maps like MRC, REVO etc with different results. That’s probably for another thread though!

4 minutes ago, Cookievts said:

Cheers all, 

I clearly have a lot to think about, the petrolhead in me really wants the R (as does Mrs Cookie) but the sensible side knows the Superb is the more sensible choice 😫

Gutted about the lack of farts......

Unfortunately I have no room to argue the case for leather, it’s a flat ‘no’ from her 🤦🏻‍♂️

A remap would definitely be on the cards, the whole world of remaps baffles me though with so many big names offering maps like MRC, REVO etc with different results. That’s probably for another thread though!

The leather issue may be the sticking point here, I don't think it's possible to get a  280 / 272 Superb without leather... so you'll have to get the Golf R with it's standard seats.

I don't really understand why leather would be a bad thing though - much better to have wipe clean seats with children - food, vomit etc. can all be wiped off. Much more sensible than any other material.

If she's worried about leather being too hot or cold then ventilated seats is the answer.

We are looking at the Sportline spec cars which seem to have alcantra/ fabric seats. 

I 100% agree re the 'baby proofing' of leather, I have previously failed to get anywhere with the leather debate 😕

I have her 'blessing' to indulge and get a Golf R or Superb Sportline tsi when we could get by with a Ford C/S max or a 1.5 Golf/ Superb estate, all of which would be equally family friendly (more so with the S max) so I don't really want to push my luck for the sake of leather. 

We would probably look to get seat covers anyway to stop the isofix base messing up the seat fabric! 

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Sportline seats are alcantara in the centre and fake (faux) leather on the edges and headrest sections. No cows were harmed during the production of these Superb :tongueout: vehicles. They are easy to wipe down if that is a concern and even the door cards are covered in the lovely suede type stuff. Ambient lighting across the dash when you open the car and all 4 doors makes for a very nice ambience for all occupants as well as LED footwell lighting for evening journeys. It's all very soothing until you stamp on the loud (or quiet in the 272) pedal then all hell breaks loose (except only on gravel roads).:whew:

5 hours ago, Cookievts said:

This is how well VW plays the marketing and brand segregation cards, assisted also by minor engineering choices because of-course they are in the position to do so.

Starting with the names, "Golf R", R for... Racecar right? :tongueout:  whereas what's a Superb Sportline?? If the same car was called a "Superb vRS" it would have sounded much more attractive to performance car buyers (probably resulting in some of them giving it more consideration than they should over the Golf and the Leon).

Then continue with some trivial tuning like free up some more bhp for the Golf (and the S3) over the Superb (and the Leon), put some stiffer springs and purposefully induce farting on gear changes, and top it off with shooting the car on a racetrack for the brochure :D and... somehow your practical family car with some oomph is now a "petrolhead's car", or at least that's what they'd like people to believe... 

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

To answer a question of whether a Golf R estate can be more practical than a 272 hatch then the answer is yes. Today at Penrith @penguin17 brought 4 tyres standing up in the boot of his Golf R estate which were 235/40R19 wide yet I could only get 3 in the boot of my 272 hatch and one had to go on the back seat even with the parcel shelf stowed behind the back seat. In theory the 272 hatch may have more litres of space but the Golf R estate has a more useful and practical shape as I saw demonstrated today.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

To answer a question of whether a Golf R estate can be more practical than a 272 hatch then the answer is yes.

But who asked that question?

On 26/07/2020 at 11:11, Cookievts said:

I think we have narrowed it down to the Golf R estate or the Superb 272 Sportline estate

Edited by newbie69

If range is important @penguin17 told me his Golf R estate takes 53 litres of Tesco Momentum and does 0-60mph in 3.67 seconds due to 383bhp and confirmed with DRAGY and 0-100mph in just over 9 seconds. The Superb Sportline ESTATE has a 66 litre capacity so a greater range. Maximum range in my stage 1 Superb 272 is 730 miles (48.1 mpg).:hi:

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

If range is important @penguin17 told me his Golf R estate takes 53 litres of Tesco Momentum and does 0-60mph in 3.67 seconds due to 383bhp and confirmed with DRAGY and 0-100mph in just over 9 seconds. The Superb Sportline ESTATE has a 66 litre capacity so a greater range. Maximum range in my stage 1 Superb 272 is 730 miles (48.1 mpg).:hi:

I just saw he went for REVO's Stage 1 and is going for TVS Stage 2+ this week, seems I provided him with some... inspiration :tongueout:

His times are surprisingly close to mine with the same mods (3.80" 0-60mph,  9.5" 0-100mph), i though there would be more between them but i guess the weight difference is not that great between an R estate and the Sportline hatch, can't remember what's the official value weight on the R, mine showed 1625kg on the scale.

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

I just saw he went for REVO's Stage 1 and is going for TVS Stage 2+ this week, seems I provided him with some... inspiration :tongueout:

His times are surprisingly close to mine with the same mods (3.80" 0-60mph,  9.5" 0-100mph), i though there would be more between them but i guess the weight difference is not that great between an R estate and the Sportline hatch, can't remember what's the official value weight on the R, mine showed 1625kg on the scale.

Judging by his number plate he went for the older non GPF model with 310PS as standard and he confirmed he's likely to press the button on stage 2 which comes with a free stage 2 map from REVO. Although he has to haul around 4 chunky tailpipes he had kept the standard 18" (Cadiz) alloys to keep the weight down. Guess the Golf estate would be around 1,575kg.:mmm:

56 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Judging by his number plate he went for the older non GPF model with 310PS as standard and he confirmed he's likely to press the button on stage 2 which comes with a free stage 2 map from REVO. Although he has to haul around 4 chunky tailpipes he had kept the standard 18" (Cadiz) alloys to keep the weight down. Guess the Golf estate would be around 1,575kg.:mmm:

Right. Well even more impressive then, non-GPF R estate stage 1 being nearly neck and neck with a slightly heavier, GPF equipped Superb stage 1, just shows how much of a non-limitation the GPF's are until stage 2 levels.

He's going stage 2 right after stage 1? Lol... What is it? Couple of months since he bought it? So much for "perfect from factory" performance :D   

Tbh I don't blame him, these engines are so tempting to tune, although the stage 2 apart from being the worst "value for money" mod is also the beginning of a slippery slope modding-wise, which is why i am in a continuous effort of talking myself out off one... However, I must admit I don't know If I would have succeeded as well if the stage 2 maps were available already for my DNUA engine as they are for the non-GPF one in Penguin's car so I shouldn't judge really  :D   (REVO keeps saying they're working on them... :thinking:)

Stage 2 REVO is not free though (unless he got some special deal), it's got a 70% discount which still leaves something in the range of 150-200EUR to be paid, really annoying from REVO...

Edited by newbie69

I'm not sure a Golf R Estate vs a Superb 272/280 Estate is a valid vehicle comparison. A Golf R vs a Leon 300 Cupra or an Audi S4 maybe but not a Superb. 

For me the smaller Golf R with it's lower stance & shouty quad exhausts attracts too much attention (normally the unwanted type from other boy racers &, the boys in blue). 

The Superb 272/280 estate (L&K in my case) is the epitome of a "sleeper" / Q car & except for a pair of fairly well hidden muted exhaust tips, has no outward signs of what lurks beneath. Add a stage 1 re-map for 360 bhp & it really flies. Admittedly unless the suspension is modified it is never going to go around corners like a Porsche but the DCC in Sport mode (std on the L&K) firms it up quite a bit. I run mine in Sport mode most of the time unless "her in doors" is in the car when Normal or Comfort mode has to be adopted to protect her delicate rear end. My now low annual mileage means that fuel costs are no longer a major issue so 36mpg on a run or 25mpg around town are acceptable. 

For me it's the straight line acceleration that is most useful for quick safe overtaking when needed, effortless cruising, huge boot / rear passenger space & the sure footed 4 x 4 system when the weather gets a bit inclement. The perfect all rounder IMO.   

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 19/10/2021 at 22:14, Timmyboy said:

Bumping an old one, as having exactly this dilemma currently. Proper first world problems eh? 

Interested to know which way the op went in the end? 

Much procrastination later, a 272 L&K hatch now sits outside. Lots of mind changing along the way and I 'wanted' the Golf slightly more, but a combination of space and like for like value for money in the 2nd hand market led me to the Skoda - I'm sure I'll lose out on residuals in the long term but I'm hoping to keep hold of this for a while.

• Like 1

I went for the 280 L&K estate and never really considered a Golf R (or even a Sportline for that matter). I know they are great cars but I prefer the understated sleeper look (only 18 inch rims for me too). My decision-making process was that I can appreciate the space and comfort every time I sit in it, but as a family man living in the overcrowded home counties I would only get to enjoy the extra power and grip of a Golf R very occasionally.

If I'm alone in the car I tend to set the steering and DCC to Sport to tighten things up a bit, but I am under no illusions that my Superb drives like any kind of sports car. But then again I am not using it for track days or trying to set a time around the Nurburgring. It is a great overtaking weapon and more than good enough to keep me entertained on the odd occasions when I get to stretch it's legs.

• Like 1