Superb 272 Sportline vs Golf R Estate

Morning,

Long term reader of the forum, but I don’t think I have ever posted!

We are currently on the hunt for a family car

I think we have narrowed it down to the Golf R estate or the Superb 272 Sportline estate. I think a few on here have had both so I thought I would ask what the general consensus is of the pair, I appreciate being a Skoda forum, it might be slightly one sided......

which car do I want and why? 
any pro’s and cons?

I was hoping for some real love views or both cars to help us decide 👍

cheers

I don't have any experience with a Golf R, but what I will say based on my experience of the non-dcc 280, it's geared for comfort rather than sportiness, and as a result, don't expect to be keeping up with a Golf R around B roads. The shocks on the non-dcc version just can't cope with the bump and undulations in the road and car feels unstable and you lack confidence when pushing on. I changed the shocks on mine, and it's made a world of difference. The DCC version might be different though.

I currently have a 7.5 R estate. Previously had the 280 Sportline hatch and a 150 TDI Sportline hatch before that. 

The 280 is a great car, comfy, capacious and I factory ordered mine so I spec’d it up. It was a nice place to soak up the miles and straight line performance was a hoot for such a barge.  As a family car it’s more than practical and I would actually say it probably provides more room than 90% of 2+2 families need but that doesn’t mean you don’t fill it up every now and again.  If you have babies and/or young children and family trips/holidays still mean you are lugging around high chairs, fold up cots, buggies etc then the Superb is hard to beat. 

I stopped commuting to work in 2018 so the 280 was a replacement for the 150 TDI, seeing as I no longer had to worry about fuel costs. Initially I was over the moon with the car but as my usage reduced I started ‘going out for drives’ rather than using the car out of necessity. Living on the edge of the NY moors I’m spoiled for choice and I quickly got bored with the 280. Even with 15mm lowered (vs standard) suspension (and DCC would have made zero difference), the car was crashy and unsettled, the rebound on the suspension was so lazy that you could hit an undulation and you’d wince and wait for the cars mass to catch up, worrying that you’d bottom out. My wife even picked up on this from the passenger seat.  The handling is also pretty vague when pushing on and you are quickly reminded you’re driving an almost 5 meter long limo that’s set up with a bias towards soaking up miles without fuss and easily overtaking a line of slow moving traffic when the need arises.  

I thought of remaps, modifying suspension, anti roll bars etc but I was just bored with the whole package and it was a car that no longer suited my requirements/usage. 

I looked at 2 cars as a replacement; the Volvo V60 Polestar and the Golf R estate.  I loved the V60 to bits but it’s rather cramped (it’s no old school Volvo estate) and the cabin is also very outdated but the performance and refinement is spot on.  I driven an S4 Avant a few years ago and the Volvo is a much better car.  So yes it ticked the right boxes it was still not ticking all, as I still need a car that covers family duties, transporting bikes, the dog etc. 

The Golf R estate just suits my needs perfectly.  It’s more refined than the Superb (which I was surprised by) and quality is a step up in some areas and equal in others. Just remember that VW hierarchy dictates that the Golf can’t be compared to an Octavia or Leon; it’s much better. Comparing the Golf with a Superb is actually more realistic.   Mine is 2.5 years old and still feels tight and drives like a new car.  I've had to fix one rattle in the drivers door, which was a harness that had come lose from it's fixing. 

The Golf in estate form is also very practical, yes a step down from the Superb in terms of outright space/capacity but most cars would be but it’s still not cramped, my growing 12 and 9 year old boys have enough room and I have a Travall boot divider so our dog has his own space in the boot and we have space for luggage etc (50:50 split). I haven’t yet thought “oh that would have fitted in the Superb..”

Now the trump card of the R is that when you’re not carting your family round it’s a more than capable hot hatch, widely regarded as one of the best all-rounders. I’d have to agree. It’s an absolute pleasure to drive whether on a motorway or a B road but it’s on a B road where it comes alive. The 280 is quick. The R is quicker. It’s also much more agile and direct. It doesn’t crash over bumps or feel like it’s leaning in corners and despite having a firmer setup it’s not harsh. The R is also more comfortable. If you haven’t guessed already, I love mine. I do not regret swapping the 280 at all.  If I had to chose either car all over again then I’d pick the R every time.  That’s not to say the Superb is a bad car, far from it. It’s a great car. It does exactly what it’s designed to do and then some, it’s just for my needs and fancies, at this moment in time, it’s not the car for me. 

I’ve now made a few mods to the R such as upgraded brakes, stiffer rear ARB, res-delete, upgraded intake and turbo inlet and stage 1 remap and its transformed the car again. Now running just under 3.7 secs to 60 and made everything feel a bit more polished without sacrificing OEM comfort. I’m getting the DSG remapped in a few weeks and it will also be going stage 2 in the not too distant future. I chosen to do those things because I got bored in lockdown and I realised life’s to short. As standard the R has more than enough performance and unless you really want to, you don’t need to modify it to be a capable car.  For me, it really is the perfect all-rounder.

Running costs are the same for fuel and tax. I get low 20’s MPG from both cars but they can and will get closer to 40 with little effort, on a long run.  It’s subjective but my insurance went up a little on the R; when I swapped cars mid way through my policy I was charged £45 more for the R without mods, no admin fee. I’ve now changed provider and it’s gone up £100 but that’s on a modified car.  Servicing and maintenance is exactly the same. 

PM me if you want any specific info. Happy to help 👍🏻

Edited by penguin17

Not owned a R but with the amount of dealer test-drives and rides in friend's R's and R wagons it's as if I know it almost as well as my Sportline  :D   Was between the two cars before opting for the 272 Sportline hatch. What I would say is:

If you don't have toddlers/small children and need the extra space mainly for cargo but not really the cabin to be that big, if you enjoy throwing it around often and if you're not keen on modifying your cars, the R is the clear choice that will best meet your needs as it comes from factory. It is stiffer and lower than the Superb, a bit lighter and a tad quicker (stock for stock) so it will be a better drive without having to touch anything.

On the other hand it lags the Superb in terms of passenger comfort and practicality, the rear cabin is cavernous and the family will just love the space back there. Big car seats like ones from Britax-Romer can't even fit rear-facing in the Golf without their backs touching the back of the front seats, meaning you either squeeze the front passenger too much (doesn't have to be a tall person even ) or push against the child seat slightly lifting it out of position. Same thing in terms of width, Superb accommodates threes adults or three child seats fine if you need to, on the Golf it's a bit of a PITA. And let's not talk about leg-room, on the Golf I was always worrying about people scratching the seat's backs (which they did) when entering/exiting as there's not really much room and if you're in the typical "family hurry" it's a given it will happen, in the Superb the leg-room is comical and it's one of the reasons it has that "big car" feeling. I mean the Golf remains an average (at best) sized car with an extended boot so no surprises really. 

We did the move from a MK7 GTI Clubsport hatch to the Sportline hatch and the comfort upgrade inside the car was pretty evident, also every time we go shopping i am just thankful for the electric boot which wasn't even an option on the MK7 (not sure if that's changed?)  So for a family with young children/toddlers and up to say 10 y.o. children nothing really comes close in that department.

Driving wise I like driving my cars fast in the right conditions so with the Superb this needed a bit of addressing but the good thing is that since it's on this so widely shared platform it can be transformed to anything you like, from a bit more power to something much sharper and more potent than any stock Golf for that matter. Most people don't realize it's really a few fundamental options that Skoda has deliberately tuned towards comfort that are to blame for the Superb's lesser driving experience, rather than a completely different design. For example, stock Superb alloys weigh 5kg more than the Golf R's Pretorias. That's 20kg of extra unsprung mass in total, a huge amount that when removed will transform any car's turn-in and front end agility. Same goes for springs, the Superb's ones, in all variants, are chosen with comfort in mind and as such result in more roll, squat and dive than in the R. And let's not even go to the fixed dampers, way too "loose" with the slight exception being the Sportline DCC which with uprated springs offers finally a very controlled ride. Same for the rear anti roll bars, slightly thicker on the R.

How hard is it to address the above? Not at all really. Funnily enough most of the aftermarket items are shared between the Golf and the Superb, a stage  1 remap makes the same bhp on both cars and even the rear arb is the same item for both cars. On mine I have replaced the stock alloys with lightweight ones, uprated springs with Eibach ones and the rear arb with the H&R one and I almost can't remember what the stock car was like or what people are complaining about in terms of handling, it's that good now, in fact so good that I am keeping up with my buddy's stage 1 Cupra ST (i also have a stage 1) without sweating around all roads here, it feels like a proper sports sedan now. 

I totally accept that for some, these mods are more of a PITA than something they enjoy so sure a car that out of the box ticked those boxes would be better, but for many (see how Penguin above has already upgraded all that stuff on a car that supposedly is "ready" as it comes), even a Golf R would be in need of further mods, the rear arb for example is something both cars are in desperate need imo so it's not really a big deal. It's just that Superb cries out louder for the mods.

Coming up a bit of arguing with some of Penguin's points above :tongueout:...

PS. Absolutely opt for DCC if you go for the Sportline and like the ride flexibility with a fair bit of fast driving, knowing that you'll probably have to do springs at some point to complete the change.  If you are even more passionate about fast driving, DON'T go for DCC and instead spend the money on an aftermarket coilover like KW V2 which transforms the car.  If you just like a bit of pushing on then Sportline with DCC will do the trick without changing anything. Fixed dampers are a disappointment on all variants though so keep that in mind.

Edited by newbie69

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Even with 15mm lowered (vs standard) suspension (and DCC would have made zero difference), the car was crashy and unsettled, the rebound on the suspension was so lazy that you could hit an undulation and you’d wince and wait for the cars mass to catch up, worrying that you’d bottom out

DCC would have made a big difference actually! The DCC on the Sportline, in Sport mode firms up nicely that you don't ever have a second oscillation of the car over undulations or speed bumps and it's quite a step up from Normal mode. There are plenty of complaints on the fixed dampers behavior which seem to be tuned closer to a DCC in Normal (probably even Normal is a bit better than the fixed due to continuous adapting), which is why I insisted before on ticking the DCC option on the Sportline, unless he does a lot of fast driving in which case ditching DCC all-together and going for good coilovers is a better choice.

It’s more refined than the Superb (which I was surprised by) and quality is a step up in some areas and equal in others.

Speaking out of my own experience of course but I haven't yet found an area that I felt my Clubsport was of clearly higher quality than the Sportline's cabin, same alcantara, same soft plastics on top, same feeling on the dials. If there's something it's definitely hard to spot and not enough to classify it as a "different class" as I would in a Merc for example. I expected to be a bit disappointed when going from the GTI to the Superb but it just hasn't happened, maybe i'm not too picky? I don't know. However the car is clearly better put together than a Leon or Octavia, both of which are a few steps back in cabin feel and quality.

The R is also more comfortable

How so? The stock ride of the R is clearly firmer than the Superb in Normal mode (probably even firmer than Superb in Sport)  and you feel it every time you go over imperfect roads (ie. my friend's driveway!)

Also talking about comfort, I've driven both cars in the Autobahn at 200+ km/h (the R was a hatch ) and the Superb felt more planted and composed. The R hatch was sending out that "high speed nervousness" a bit earlier, probably due to the 50mm shorter tracks (also on the estate) is my guess and overall smaller size.

I’ve now made a few mods to the R such as upgraded brakes, stiffer rear ARB, res-delete, upgraded intake and turbo inlet and stage 1 remap and its transformed the car again. Now running just under 3.7 secs to 60 and made everything feel a bit more polished without sacrificing OEM comfort. I’m getting the DSG remapped in a few weeks and it will also be going stage 2 in the not too distant future. I chosen to do those things because I got bored in lockdown and I realised life’s to short. As standard the R has more than enough performance and unless you really want to, you don’t need to modify it to be a capable car.  For me, it really is the perfect all-rounder.

That's exactly the thing for most people I'd say. If one finds the R's stock performance 100% satisfying it's quite possible he will be just as happy with a Sportline DCC, even if it's a less sporty setup. If on the other hand the R does not fully do it, and I'd say for a healthy percentage of owners it doesn't as they are after higher performance in all areas, then they will be modding their car sooner or later anyway and these mods in both cars will offer a huge transformation, even more noticeable on the Superb as it starts from a lower point so to speak. But for those who really are in need of the greater practicality, the Superb can do both, plus it offers the hatch option which in my eyes, is one of the most beautiful design efforts from Skoda ever and badges aside I prefer it to a Passat hatch or Arteon 280.

Now running just under 3.7 secs to 60 

Is that a Dragy/P-Gear verified time? If so it's quite impressive. 

The 2018 R is the best variant of all the MK7/7.5 as it got that small power bump (making closer to 320-330bhp) but escaped the blo00dy GPF's and the port injection removal :thumbup:   And with the way the MK8 looks and feels inside, I'd say it has potential to keep its price high for some time.

Edited by newbie69

Having just swapped a 68 reg GTI 245PP DSG mainly for reasons of space in the cabin and boot, for a Superb L & K 272.  Obviously 2 cars aimed at drivers with diverging image and loadspace requirements. Even an estate Golf will be smaller than an Octavia let alone a Superb. I initially wrote that the Superb wouldn't do too well around twisty bends, however in sport with DCC  it's pretty good, it stiffens up and doesn't understeer or wallow in the bend.  I agree with Newbie69, in fact if you haven't driven a Superb with DCC then you won't know how well it sticks to the chosen trajectory....for legal/sensible driving on public roads.  So perhaps a Sportline with DCC and different wheels/tyres might be a touch better.  The  Superb ride comfort is  good, far more relaxing and less road noise than the Golf I had. For the price, the L&K standard equipment level is fantastic. I am not sure if are any serious/usefuloptions which don't come as standard. Another reason which put me off having a R,  is the higher theft rate versus the (fingers-crossed)  probable non-existent risk of being burgled for the keys to my 'old man's'  car 😁

I can not say one way or the other in regards how each ride, but i can say for sure that a Golf R will bring a great deal of unwelcomed attention from the Ne'er-do-well's, it and a few others (S Audi's/M BMW's etc) will always mean your at a highter risk of an aggravated burglary or such than any other type of car. It should be taken into account and i do not just mean in insurance terms, but general wellfare of your family and if you have children in the house.

Thank you all for your replies! 

We current own a mk7 Golf GTD hatch which as been brilliant and I’m struggling to see past the performance (and the 4 exhausts) of the R estate which is why I thought I would look for some real life experiences with either car on this forum. 

I very nearly bought a Octavia VRS estate but the road noise put us off with my Golf being much much more refined on the journey home from the dealership. 

We have struggled to find a 280/272 Superb wagon to test drive but have driven the 220tsi which we both liked. I just feel like if we picked up the 220/190 I would feel disappointed when I see a R or the 280/ 272. You only live once right.....

The difference of opinion re the refinement is interesting. Road noise is a big issue for me but we both still want the performance of the two cars mentioned. We live in a very quiet cul-de-sac in a quiet village down the road from the main local police station, we also have a garage so, whilst the fears of burglary are very real with a nice car on the driveway, I am not over concerned and don’t want criminals and the fear of crime to put me off owning something that I would like to own. If I lived in Birmingham/ Manchester or similar this would however probably carry more weight in the decision making. 

We are both just under 30 and are expecting our first child in the new year, we also are likely to be getting a dog (cocker spaniel size). Both cars seem to have the space required but I know deep down the Superb would probably be the better family bus....

My issue is that the end of the combustion engine in upon us and I wonder how long I will have the chance to own a 310bhp 4wd petrol estate and is it worth sacrificing the space for the opportunity to run the R? The R is (without mods) the better performance car and, to me, it just looks better.

decisions decisions! 

I have a Focus RS for fun and the Superb 280 estate (which I bought 2nd hand).

The Superb obviously isn't as quick, nor as sharp in corners (than the Focus) but it's pretty good for such a massive car. My car is a L&K 280 with DCC (DCC makes a big difference).

I did consider the Golf R Estate but the Superb was a better option for me given that:

- it's more practical for children / car seats (mostly due to sheer size)

- it's less nickable (and therefore much cheaper insurance)

- it's also slightly cheaper and much easier to find with heated windscreen (finding a Golf R with the windscreen is hard). I think this is an essential option for the UK.

I'm delighted with my purchase. For reference I'm in my low 30s with 2 children and the space in the Superb is wonderful for massive car seats!

Some good thoughts above!

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookievts said:

Thank you all for your replies! 

We current own a mk7 Golf GTD hatch which as been brilliant and I’m struggling to see past the performance (and the 4 exhausts) of the R estate which is why I thought I would look for some real life experiences with either car on this forum. 

I very nearly bought a Octavia VRS estate but the road noise put us off with my Golf being much much more refined on the journey home from the dealership. 

We have struggled to find a 280/272 Superb wagon to test drive but have driven the 220tsi which we both liked. I just feel like if we picked up the 220/190 I would feel disappointed when I see a R or the 280/ 272. You only live once right.....

The difference of opinion re the refinement is interesting. Road noise is a big issue for me but we both still want the performance of the two cars mentioned. We live in a very quiet cul-de-sac in a quiet village down the road from the main local police station, we also have a garage so, whilst the fears of burglary are very real with a nice car on the driveway, I am not over concerned and don’t want criminals and the fear of crime to put me off owning something that I would like to own. If I lived in Birmingham/ Manchester or similar this would however probably carry more weight in the decision making. 

We are both just under 30 and are expecting our first child in the new year, we also are likely to be getting a dog (cocker spaniel size). Both cars seem to have the space required but I know deep down the Superb would probably be the better family bus....

My issue is that the end of the combustion engine in upon us and I wonder how long I will have the chance to own a 310bhp 4wd petrol estate and is it worth sacrificing the space for the opportunity to run the R? The R is (without mods) the better performance car and, to me, it just looks better.

decisions decisions! 

It's good to provide the back-ground behind these questions (as you just did) as the advice can be focused on the more relevant aspects (how much "family duties", what sort of performance, car theft a worry or not)

I'd say if there was a best time in your life to go for a Superb would be exactly the one you're in right now: Expecting a child (and possibly another one in a few years time), and the dog just seals the deal imo. As I wrote, we switched from a MK7 hatch (like you) to a Superb (hatch but doesn't make much difference) and it was as the whole family "breathed" a little better with that switch. The Golf's rear cabin, contrary to what I believed before owning one, is rather on the small side and you can't expect small children to give their full attention into getting in and out or minding their feet against the front seats, same for adults. We had already rendered the front passenger seat (in front of the child seat) unusable for anyone above 1.65m with the car seat model we had chosen (which is an excellent one but a bit bulky as some others) and now that we've got a toddler too, the option of say the grand-mother travelling with us would not be possible with the Golf, whereas we've done 2hr trips with 3 adults and 2 car seats and everyone was seating fine. The boot's difference is not massive but it's noticeable and when you see how much space the full size strollers take plus all the children related stuff you'd be carrying around in the next years you'll be thankful for all the space you could get.

Regarding performance, for straight line speed and acceleration i just can't see much between them really. We are talking a few tenths, not seconds off the 0-60mph and even a stock 272 with its AWD feels pretty strong already out of the box. Also, don't think that you won't get used to either the R or Superb's pace after a while. The 220 would be a different story but we're not talking about that car. The handling differences are a bit more noticeable but try to test-drive a Superb Sportline with DCC in Sport and see for yourself how it drives and how happy (or not) you are with that, it might surprise you even though it doesn't wear a "R" badge...  You can always make the Superb (much) faster and sharper, but you can't stretch the Golf's cabin or boot!

Also, bear in mind the R is a great all-rounder but it's not exactly a driver's car. Even on the hatch, the turn-in and agility are not as sharp as any traditional FWD GTI and the understeer tendency is still there. It's very effective and a great point-to-point machine as you have all the traction when flooring it but that's just about it, it was one of the reason's it left me a bit underwhelmed on the driving aspect and made me opt for the Clubsport instead back in 2016. The Superb 280/272 shares the exact same philosophy and approach but tuned a bit more towards comfort, however the pros and cons of the setup are common in both cars. What I mean is don't think you are choosing between two fundamentally different cars as you would do between a R estate and say a 330i touring that would require different approach and offer clearly different driving experiences.

To recap, changing from a MK7 to the Superb at this point in my life was by far the best choice when considering our family's needs and I would be hard pressed to believe anyone in a similar phase would be even remotely disappointed from the car. I think it should be a keeper until the children are at least 6-8y.o. and without the need to carry too much of their special stuff around, at which point downgrading in size to a 3 series, C-Class or even a Golf (if they fix back its design by then) will make total sense as I could exchange some of the space I won't fully need for more sportiness. Much like @penguin17  did, for whom I also believe it was the best choice to switch to the R since his children were past their early years.

But all of the above don't matter if you just happen to like more one car over the other for its looks! It can't all be about numbers... For me the Golf estate's design is more of an after-thought (ie. let's stick a long boot to the standard Golf), especially from some 3/4 rear angles whereas the Superb has overall larger proportions (wider and longer) that make the car look more natural despite being bigger but that's just my own taste of-course. I'm sure both cars will satisfy you, just maybe to a different extent in different aspects.

Edited by newbie69

I'm in my mid 40s, married, have 2 kids aged  9 and 12 and a springer spaniel. I'm 1m85 tall, my wife not far behind and my 12 year old is already 1m70. I tow a box trailer occasionally along with other trailers and use a tow bar mounted bike rack. We go on holiday in the car and use it for camping trips with the Scouts etc.  I'm not the kind of person who goes out for fun drives or would modify a car, but when I use the car I do like it to work well for me and not leave me frustrated.  

I guess you can tell where this is leading..... 

All I can really say is the 280 combi is the best car that I have ever owned. We did have the luxury of buying new and adding extras to get it 'just right' for us which helped a bit. 

• Like 1

My last car was a Golf R 7.5 estate - NO DCC. I owned this for 2 years on a lease - got it for bargain money! This was stock and the only option I had was the colour - Lapiz Blue..

Anyway to get to the point - the 7.5 was a big step up from the Mk7 - it was the 310bhp version before they detuned the latest and final versions. 

Things I liked with Golf: 

• Looks - colour - brake callipers - 2 exhausts at each side - DSG rasp (fart)
  • Handling - I had standard springs - and it was noticeable stiffer than my current superb
  • 7 speed DSG (Superb DQ250 is only 6 speed) - refined on motorway cruise
  • Virtual cockpit display - was new in 7.5

Things not so good in Golf: 

• Attention - too many people trying to race me - plus there was too many R's around - with lease deals they are everywhere!
  • Space - have teenage daughter - I am 6,2 - definitely limited space for rear with my seat back
  • Lack of toys - no heated screen (from above I dont even think this was an option on Golf R) my superb has Virtual pedal, curtain airbags in rear plus the moving headlights (whatever you call them). 
  • Seats - they improved over the MK7 - they were nice to sit in - but pretty dull looking - Nappa leather was an expensive option. 
  • A full spec'd R was stupid money 

As for my 280 L&K Estate

• Same EA888 Gen 3 - I have DCC and I now drive it everywhere in Individual with DCC set to Sport - steering set to sport too. 
  • I love my L&K leather seats - heated and cooled - have rear heated seats too 
  • Kids love sitting in the rear - TONS of space
  • Added pedal box to sort throttle response. 
  • Wish I had a 7 speed DSG - but the 280 is actually a more tuneable motor! 
  • Only option I dont have on mine is the pano-roof - always wanted one

I have some mods in the pipe to make my 280 handle and perform more like my Golf - that way I've the best of both worlds. 

On the towing topic - the MK7.5 estate DID actually come with a towbar prep option - later in their life - that was also a consideration for me - as Ive trailer tent which my wifes car has to haul currently. 

Edited by freeglide
Typo

27 minutes ago, freeglide said:

Things I liked with Golf: 

• 7 speed DSG (Superb DQ250 is only 6 speed) - refined on motorway cruise
  • Virtual cockpit display - was new in 7.5

Both virtual cockpit and the 7-speed DSG are available on the Superb since MY19 (and they are both great!). In fact I find the virtual cockpit on the Superb to be a better implementation with a nicer and more colorful interface, on the Golf it's too plain.

27 minutes ago, freeglide said:

As for my 280 L&K Estate

• Wish I had a 7 speed DSG - but the 280 is actually a more tuneable motor! 

Not an issue unless you want to go over 400bhp right away. Stage 1 on the 272 makes even more torque than on the 280 and downpipes are already available with stage 2 maps to follow soon.

Tune-ability only comes into question when going for bigger turbo and 500bhp really, probably a concern for less than 1% of owners I'd say, unless the OP has such plans of-course.

Edited by newbie69

51 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Both virtual cockpit and the 7-speed DSG are available on the Superb since MY19 (and they are both great!). In fact I find the virtual cockpit on the Superb to be a better implementation with a nicer and more colorful interface, on the Golf it's too plain.

Not an issue unless you want to go over 400bhp right away. Stage 1 on the 272 makes even more torque than on the 280 and downpipes are already available with stage 2 maps to follow soon.

Tune-ability only comes into question when going for bigger turbo and 500bhp really, probably a concern for less than 1% of owners I'd say, unless the OP has such plans of-course.

Hey ! Dont forget though the 272 doesn't have flaps !!! Just in case... Well.. You know ... Well I think it's an important point that maybe hasn't been mentioned in a while !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks again for the replies

We have no plans to tow anything, we would probably pick up a roof box for camping trips (not that a night under canvas sounds good with a baby.....) 

re the mods - I imagine I would go stage 1 (Rude not too?) and a rear arb and then call it quits. The car would need to maintain its comfort and drivability and I do believe you can have to many horse powers!

Is there much difference in use/ reliability between the 6 + 7 speed dsg?

I am only 5ft9 and my mrs is 5ft4 on a good day, would there still be a issue with backs of seats being kicked/ baby seats fitting in the Golf with us short-arses?

Surprisingly the Golf R estate is relatively rare here I can think of 2 that I have seen in and area we live in! 

Leather seats have been veto’d by the mrs 🤦🏻‍♂️ Apparent she doesn’t like them!

Does the Superb not ‘fart’ on the upshifts like the Golf? Could rule it out completely 👀

7 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Hey ! Dont forget though the 272 doesn't have flaps !!! Just in case... Well.. You know ... Well I think it's an important point that maybe hasn't been mentioned in a while !

True! I wonder if they ditched them because they didn't actually do anything?!  :D

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

True! I wonder if they ditched them because they didn't actually do anything?!  :D

Hey ! They do too !! When I sit on the drive and blip the throttle I can hear them click !! Well.... One of them does I think the other may need.... Er... Maintenance .. Or WD40.. Or something ...

Simple no to the farts and I think I would notice having driven mine for almost 5,000 miles since going stage 1 in early Feb with just 6,400 miles on the clock. The 280 with the 6 speed DSG did 2,300rpm I believe at 70mph in top whereas the 7th gear in the 272 allows it to cruise at the legal limit at just 2,000rpm so making it a quieter cruiser and more economical. Best economy from mine when standard (283bhp on the rolling road) was 45.9mpg and after (with 359.6bhp) has been 49.3mpg. Overall after some 11,160 miles now covered it is averaging a very reasonable 39.13mpg yet at 160mph it only does 12mpg.

1 minute ago, Nick_H said:

Hey ! They do too !! When I sit on the drive and blip the throttle I can hear them click !! Well.... One of them does I think the other may need.... Er... Maintenance .. Or WD40.. Or something ...

It's probably the startled Postman thinking your estate is a Post Van making that noise as he drops your letters.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

It's probably the startled Postman thinking your estate is a Post Van making that noise as he drops your letters.

😡

2 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

But leather seats are easier for the mrs to clean Cookie :)

And the only fart you'll get from a superb is the one sitting behind the steering wheel :)

Or the OH under standing fart (sorry start) acceleration.

30 minutes ago, Cookievts said:

Thanks again for the replies

We have no plans to tow anything, we would probably pick up a roof box for camping trips (not that a night under canvas sounds good with a baby.....) 

re the mods - I imagine I would go stage 1 (Rude not too?) and a rear arb and then call it quits. The car would need to maintain its comfort and drivability and I do believe you can have to many horse powers!

Is there much difference in use/ reliability between the 6 + 7 speed dsg?

I am only 5ft9 and my mrs is 5ft4 on a good day, would there still be a issue with backs of seats being kicked/ baby seats fitting in the Golf with us short-arses?

Surprisingly the Golf R estate is relatively rare here I can think of 2 that I have seen in and area we live in! 

Leather seats have been veto’d by the mrs 🤦🏻‍♂️ Apparent she doesn’t like them!

Does the Superb not ‘fart’ on the upshifts like the Golf? Could rule it out completely 👀

DSG7 is even smoother in daily driving than the DSG6 which is not bad at all already. On the other hand DSG7 has its slight quirks in manual mode (harsher gear-changes).

Reliability should be just as good as the DSG6, it's based on the "heavy duty" DQ500 after all, of-course the DSG6 is more proven as it's been out for 7 years now but I have no complaints from my DSG7 and I'd pick it again over the DSG6 simply for its extra smoothness and better economy, you'll appreciate the 7th gear on the highway. In fact the short 6th gear of the DSG6 was my only slight complaint when driving the DSG6.

We are of similar size as you guys and with that car seat I mentioned, the front seat would only just clear it for my wife. If we were to switch places though I wasn't fully comfortable for longer trips, same for any passenger any taller than me.

There is definitely no farting with the 272 GPF, but i think if you're too keen on them you can get them back with a resonator delete (not my cup of tea) or upgraded exhaust, the remap might also play a role there, some introduce the up-shift farting on purpose. It's not something your catalyst enjoys though on the long term, just sayin...

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1