Any Google Nest/Hive Thermostat Users?

Cubbington

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Does anyone know of a single package inline mains powered (not a plug),  live switching thermostat, which has wifi programmable times?

Not fussed about the fancy geolocation etc.

Check my post earlier on. That should be what you need I think.

• Like 1

Just found the other extreme, which is the honeywell ecohome with a series of 6 radiator TRV, which would do well for the whole house control....

So I guess I either go super simple or go all out and pay someone to do the fitting if the parts needed are inside the boiler and require a gas safe person to comply with the law.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 09:21, cheezemonkhai said:

Very old thread, but an appropriate time to update our system.

We went evohome and I have to say, it’s fantastic:

Cool, thanks for the link - I've just scanned the thread and I"m surprised at how cheaply the system priced up for you. When I look into Evohome, I'm sure the quote was coming in at around £800 including the Stat/TRVs.

Cheers,

Nick

1 hour ago, Cubbington said:

Cool, thanks for the link - I've just scanned the thread and I"m surprised at how cheaply the system priced up for you. When I look into Evohome, I'm sure the quote was coming in at around £800 including the Stat/TRVs.

Cheers,

Nick

The HR91 rather than HR92 TRV's minus the displays help massively as they've about 60% of the price.

Then add in a starter home pack of the controller (Which now includes the gateway, saving more money), the relay and 6 TRV at a very reasonable price and it makes a big difference.

I agree when I looked at some of the old configs and all the parts or not using a starter pack, it stacks up quite quickly.

Thanks @cheezemonkhai, that's really helpful, I'll price up with the HR91 (or whatever's equivalent now!).

We're getting the plumbers to fit some new rads in a couple of weeks...the last of the cheap, under specced/undersized rads that were fitted when the house was built, so once we get a idea of how the house is balancing the heat I can look into the Evo system.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Nick

1 hour ago, Cubbington said:

Thanks @cheezemonkhai, that's really helpful, I'll price up with the HR91 (or whatever's equivalent now!).

We're getting the plumbers to fit some new rads in a couple of weeks...the last of the cheap, under specced/undersized rads that were fitted when the house was built, so once we get a idea of how the house is balancing the heat I can look into the Evo system.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Nick

Make sure all the radiators have standard TRV valves as that way if you do go evohome, then you can just unscrew the old head and put the evhome TRV on.

You might also want to look at getting your new Rads oversized sufficiently that they could heat the room from a lower temperature heat source (45 degrees water temp is what I've been told).   That way if you ever go heat pump, you don't need to necessarily change them. They do a low input temperature special version of many rads, but I don't know if they can cope with the higher input temperatures too. 👍

This was HR91 kit I used, although sadly the price appears to have increased a reasonable amount in the last couple of months (hardly a surprise with gas prices).

https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-home-evohome-connected-value-packs/321-honeywell-evohome-essentials-pack-atp926g3001.html

I added 1 additional TRV whcich i fitted to the middle floor halls, which allows the hall radiators to be dropped lower. This probably wasn't necessary.
The rooms not on HR91 which are either on standard TRV or bypass, just run whenever any other radiator runs, so this gives me the ability to shut off the other rooms and run the hall/towel rails (on standard TRV) for 30 minutes if we have guests in the summer.

The only other thing I added was the controller wall mount plate, which i placed in the position of the previous thermostat.
It allows charging of the face plate and keeps it out of the way, which we like.

Finally useful to know, the controller uses 2 x NiMH batteries, which last ages.
The TRV use 2x Alkaline batteries, that last 2 heating seasons approx. I just changed the first pair, however replaced them with enerloop batteries that work fine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got Hive installed on Friday - we’re getting fitted wardrobes installed and the fitters had asked for the programmer to be moved.

I mentioned to the plumbers that I was thinking of getting smart heating fitted and they said that they could fit a Hive system (compatible with Apple HomeKit) for just the cost of the kit, as the labour cost was the same as moving our existing programmer.

so far really pleased with it - after an initial call to Hive support as I couldn’t get the app to see the thermostat, even though it was working perfectly on as a normal non-app-controlled programmer, Hive dialled into it, ran through a few reset procedures with me and it was up and running with HomeKit!

The programmer’s been installed where the old thermostat was, and as per @Lady Elanore’s setup, the hub and receiver are installed by the router.

87798424-8780-4F26-ABDD-0B4214E48FC5.jpeg.eb83bee98f107997ef0f10adf0af2b97.jpeg

DA7B2368-FF81-4703-BDC4-4F836987C0FB.jpeg.149de7216fed8bdf271f7cc38ababbb1.jpeg

The cupboard’s a bit of a mess, as I still need to tidy up from where the power and data was run to the garage…I must have known more work was going to be done, hence not getting on to that sooner…at least that’s what I’m telling myself!

I like it so far, and it’s nice to be able to set different temperatures throughout the day…it’s certainly a lot easier to program via the phone than the tiny screen on the old programmer!

Thanks to all of you that gave advice on this topic 👍

Edited by Cubbington
  • Like 4