Time to go wireless

I've searched and couldn't find specific links or information, apologies if I missed it.

I think it it's time to make my VRS wireless, so I'm after a QI charging tray and wireless CarPlay dongle.

I can find loads of QI trays on AliBaba, AliExpress and Ebay, but can't find one that specifically says Octavia - loads for VWs, but wasn't 100% sure they are the right one.

Dongle-wise, someone (Sasha?) said that it needs to be MIB compatible, but again, none of the dongles I've seen specifically say this.

Could anyone share links to the relevant bits of kit.

Thanks

In other news, after 15 months in a box, I finally managed to fit the Rieger rear diffuser! Hopefully the QI will be a speedier process.

This is the Wireless Carplay Dongle link that SashaGrace posted in her thread. She paid approx. £80 for hers as she bought it during last year's Black Friday promotion:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000333382779.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&tid=white_backgroup_101&mb=ObVJ0Pe5bD6J1zQ&spreadType=socialShare&tt=sns_Copy&image=Ue5392a149a2a477b9563b99776841e250.jpg&aff_request_id=5a16018abb61464a9331ab0329399c7c-1587029656620-00942-bUtAZM5XV&aff_platform=default&sk=bUtAZM5XV&aff_trace_key=5a16018abb61464a9331ab0329399c7c-1587029656620-00942-bUtAZM5XV&businessType=ProductDetail&title=£98.71++20%+Off+|+Carlinkit+CarPlay+Wireless+Activator+for+Audi+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+Q7+Q2+R8+Q5+MMI+2017-2019+has+built-in+Original+Wired+CarPlay&platform=AE&terminal_id=ee76f13a1e4747abaffcb3459eda2a73

It has to be a VW/Audi model like the one in the link NOT the cheaper android versions available on auction/marketplace sites as they won't work with a Skoda infotainment system.

And here's the link to an oem like fit for a QI charging tray:

https://www.inbay.systems/en/product/charging-tray-for-skoda-octavia/

But bear in mind depending on the size of your phone whether it will fit onto the tray.

Edited by bigade1
QI link
  • Like 1

Thanks, that would explain my issue then. Looking I'd thought I'd be able to get everything for £100ish, looks closer to £200.
I'd seen the inbay tray, but the AliBaba options are half the price, which is where I was thinking I'd missed a compatible piece.

• Like 1

Yes - I've been contemplating this upgrade myself but wondering is the outlay worth it. With the voucher added the price of the dongle is approx. £88 when converted to GBP and the charging tray is almost £73 on Amazon UK. If you look at the installation video or the pdf instructions on the linked charging tray it looks a relatively easy mod to do but I've read elsewhere on the forum that the larger android and later iphone models would be too large to fit on it properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigade1 said:

I've read elsewhere on the forum that the larger android and later iphone models would be too large to fit on it properly.

My iPhone XS is too large to fit.

• Like 1

I made my own solution with a 3D printer and a 5 coil wireless charger, because of that also the big size phones can fit in the "hole" plus I can still see the screen. I can share the STL file, if somebody need it, and some pictures of it. 

Of course I am also big fan of original solutions, but in this case the hole was too small, and I use always plus size mobiles...

Edited by QubiDK
  • Like 1