Octavia VRS 245

Hi there 

New to Briskoda and am close to buying an Octavia VRS 245 manual...drove both manual and DSG back to back and felt the manual was soooo much more fun!

Anyways my Mrs hates the 19" black/silver Lambo style alloys so question around whether standard 18" alloys from a 220/230bhp version would fit? I have read that the 245bhp version has bigger brakes so not sure...

Any input would be appreciated 👍 

As above, they'll fit. 

There was a lot of press nonsense back when the first 245 came out about needing 19s for the bigger brakes but it was only actually the rear discs that were any different and they're not big enough to demand 19s that's for sure.

Just bear in mind the 19s were part of the '245' package when it was released, so future buyers may expect to see them, if you have room & funds to keep them stored. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kenai said:

As above, they'll fit. 

There was a lot of press nonsense back when the first 245 came out about needing 19s for the bigger brakes but it was only actually the rear discs that were any different and they're not big enough to demand 19s that's for sure.

Just bear in mind the 19s were part of the '245' package when it was released, so future buyers may expect to see them, if you have room & funds to keep them stored. 

Thanks for the very useful update...yes agree the 19s are part of the 245 package but strangely I have also seen quite a few examples for sale at main dealers with 18" alloys...

Will keep the 19s as you say & buy a used set of 18s that need some TLC and get them refurbed...

Also found out that I drove the 230bhp versions not the 245 so hoping the latter has a little bit if extra zing to offer...

5 minutes ago, Jamster330 said:

Thanks for the very useful update...yes agree the 19s are part of the 245 package but strangely I have also seen quite a few examples for sale at main dealers with 18" alloys...

Will keep the 19s as you say & buy a used set of 18s that need some TLC and get them refurbed...

Also found out that I drove the 230bhp versions not the 245 so hoping the latter has a little bit if extra zing to offer...

The 245 has a semi complicated history. 

When the Octavia was facelifted, the standard vRS was 230bhp. They also released the 'vRS 245' as a special in 2017, which came with various extras like the wheels as standard. These were only available to order for a few months. These cars are mostly 17 or 67 plates, with a few 18 plate examples. 

Following this, the regular vRS then became 245bhp in 2018 but without the extras. People also call these cars a 'vRS 245'. This was accompanied by the 'Challenge' which is equivalent to the the original 'vRS 245' and has various extras as standard. 

Unless someone has been swapping badges a quick way to tell is the 'special edition' cars have a black V on the badges, regular cars are grey. Inside, the 'vRS 245' and 'Challenge' get a (frankly gimmicky) 'Sports Information' screen that regular cars don't (again, unless someone has modified their car to have it added). 

I doubt you'll notice much straight line performance difference between a 230 and a 245 car but a 245 in all its forms will have the VAQ diff that a facelift 230 won't, which may appeal to you if you drive the car enthusiastically enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kenai said:

The 245 has a semi complicated history. 

When the Octavia was facelifted, the standard vRS was 230bhp. They also released the 'vRS 245' as a special in 2017, which came with various extras like the wheels as standard. These were only available to order for a few months. These cars are mostly 17 or 67 plates, with a few 18 plate examples. 

Following this, the regular vRS then became 245bhp in 2018 but without the extras. People also call these cars a 'vRS 245'. This was accompanied by the 'Challenge' which is equivalent to the the original 'vRS 245' and has various extras as standard. 

Unless someone has been swapping badges a quick way to tell is the 'special edition' cars have a black V on the badges, regular cars are grey. Inside, the 'vRS 245' and 'Challenge' get a (frankly gimmicky) 'Sports Information' screen that regular cars don't (again, unless someone has modified their car to have it added). 

I doubt you'll notice much straight line performance difference between a 230 and a 245 car but a 245 in all its forms will have the VAQ diff that a facelift 230 won't, which may appeal to you if you drive the car enthusiastically enough. 

Once again  thank you for the extremely useful update!!!

Im going for a red '18 plate vRS 245 with the black V, 19" extreme black alloys & heated front seats...the car has a LOT of standard equipment making it very very good value for £.

Cant wait to see what difference the eLSD will have as I thought the 230bhp version without this was plenty fun!

10 minutes ago, Steve vRS said:

The real 245 also has black exhaust trim which I don’t think the standard car has. 

Awesome...just checked pictures and indeed it does have the black exhaust trim  👍

16 hours ago, Jamster330 said:

Awesome...just checked pictures and indeed it does have the black exhaust trim  👍

That's the original or as some call it the "limited edition" 245 manufacture year 18.

Plenty of VCDS upgrades you can do on the car, it does ride better 19" just gets a bit wallowy on 18", swore I wouldn't run the 19's but, drove from collection back home, changed it to 18's & took them back off after 5 miles. Although, mine has DCC might feel different on standard suspension 

On the roads I mostly drive on (very rural Oxfordshire) the 19s are a liability. I think the car works very well on 18s and the tyres are cheaper as well. I had the 19s on for one year and had to replace two tyres due to potholes. 18s two years and no similar issues. I have DCC also.

Edited by juan27
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, juan27 said:

On the roads I mostly drive on (very rural Oxfordshire) the 19s are a liability. I think the car works very well on 18s and the tyres are cheaper as well. I had the 19s on for one year and had to replace two tyres due to potholes. 18s two years and no similar issues. I have DCC also.

Thanks for the reply! I have driven cars with both 18s and 19s and did feel that the 18s rode better and were less noisy...looking out for a set of 18inch wheels!

Those darn Potholes...Im always on the lookout for them when driving 😐

1 hour ago, Jamster330 said:

Thanks for the reply! I have driven cars with both 18s and 19s and did feel that the 18s rode better and were less noisy...looking out for a set of 18inch wheels!

Those darn Potholes...Im always on the lookout for them when driving 😐

I have VRS MK2 Zenith 18s refinished in anchracite, but for some time I've been toying with the idea of a set of Neuspeed RSe10s just worry they might be a tad fragile for my needs.

• Thanks 1

I had mine swapped from 19" that came on the pfl230 to 18".

It was largely around the fact that all the 19s on the car had obviously been kerb magnets and I don't like the design of the 19", the ride and cheaper tyres were just a bonus.

Turns out it makes my insurance cheaper too!  Managed to get it under the £200 mark this year.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alex-W said:

I had mine swapped from 19" that came on the pfl230 to 18".

It was largely around the fact that all the 19s on the car had obviously been kerb magnets and I don't like the design of the 19", the ride and cheaper tyres were just a bonus.

Turns out it makes my insurance cheaper too!  Managed to get it under the £200 mark this year.

Insurance under £200 !!

I have no points/ no claims/10 yrs NCD and paying £450/yr for my 2004 Honda Civic Type S 160bhp...will have to look harder for better price at renewal time! 🙄

This is the first year I've had all my cars under £200, I think between £185 and £196 it ranged.

Honda Accord type R (209bhp)

Mazda 6 Sport (179bhp)

Skoda Octavia vRS (227bhp)

To be fair, the Honda has been under £200 for about 4 years or so I think, the other two weren't though!

The Skoda was £215 I think, then I declared the wheels and they knocked about £25 off. 

37 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

This is the first year I've had all my cars under £200, I think between £185 and £196 it ranged.

Honda Accord type R (209bhp)

Mazda 6 Sport (179bhp)

Skoda Octavia vRS (227bhp)

To be fair, the Honda has been under £200 for about 4 years or so I think, the other two weren't though!

The Skoda was £215 I think, then I declared the wheels and they knocked about £25 off. 

Interesting as I also had an Accord Type R a few years ago...great when you drove it like you stole it but the rest of the time it was a pain & the lack of torque was enough to put me off and get rid

My current Civic Type S 160bhp is a much better all rounder!

And then the 245 VRS is way better than both...

£196 for my VRS challenge insurance this year. 8 years no claims but three windscreen claims in the last five years and 3 points on my licence. Deepest darkest Devon though so maybe that makes it cheaper.

Sorry, this is going OT...

2 hours ago, Jamster330 said:

Interesting as I also had an Accord Type R a few years ago...great when you drove it like you stole it but the rest of the time it was a pain & the lack of torque was enough to put me off and get rid

My current Civic Type S 160bhp is a much better all rounder!

And then the 245 VRS is way better than both...

Different cars. 

The Accord is way more fun I'd say.  It makes me grin more than the others, the lack of torque is ok as it's got pretty low ratio gears.

It's also the most nimble and better handing.

The Mazda is probably the best value and best at doing everything of the three.  Economical, looks prettier than the Octavia, is just as big, was half the price and like the Honda, just works.  Bit heavy though.

The Octavia is the fastest in a straight line and is more enjoyable to drive than the Mazda.  But it's still not got that feel that the Honda has.  I get back in the Honda and grin every time and think 'yep, that's why I'm keeping this, the skoda just doesn't do this'.

3 hours ago, Kenai said:

Plot twist - he's 65 years old with 40 years NCB and only drives 12 miles a year 😛

37 with 15 years NCB and about 6k miles a year on each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex-W said:

Sorry, this is going OT...

Different cars. 

The Accord is way more fun I'd say.  It makes me grin more than the others, the lack of torque is ok as it's got pretty low ratio gears.

It's also the most nimble and better handing.

The Mazda is probably the best value and best at doing everything of the three.  Economical, looks prettier than the Octavia, is just as big, was half the price and like the Honda, just works.  Bit heavy though.

The Octavia is the fastest in a straight line and is more enjoyable to drive than the Mazda.  But it's still not got that feel that the Honda has.  I get back in the Honda and grin every time and think 'yep, that's why I'm keeping this, the skoda just doesn't do this'.

Interesting point...is your Octavia DSG or Manual?

Guess its personal preference,  but I found the manual vRS 230 way more fun than the ATR ...and more fun than the DSG vRS!

But the honours for pure pleasure and grins for previous cars has to go to the Megane R26...superb driving machine but awful interior & possesed electrics!!

Manual.

I don't find the gearbox anywhere near as quick to change or the action as nice.  I'd probably go dsg if I were to go again tbh, or rather I'd not favour manual above dsg.  

That said, I do forget the difference and enjoy the drive of the vRS, I think I just like the feel of 90s cars.  

The Octavia beats it day to day though.  Uses less fuel, is way more practical, has Aircon, is quieter, has folding seats and I can actually get my kids car seats in.  I used the Honda daily for 12 years but last year got the vRS as the practical kid wagon as no modern seats for under 4s can go safely into the Honda believe it or not.