'05 1.2htp Rear Axle Bush

I can't quite see how you'd extract the old bush and press in the new one without proper access to both sides of it.

Knocking might be a broken spring or may actually be coming from the front from the droplinks.

Edited by sepulchrave

Thank you, sepulchrave 🙂

Springs intact ,

ordered these droplinks ,says 2yr guarantee, ref :

https://tinyurl.com/y2blhozj

Droplink rubber looks perished, but intact .

Bowders1 10 yrs ago did one side on an Octavia, ref

https://tinyurl.com/yxdqs3ax

likely not the same as a Fabia 1 ?

I'll change droplinks first.

Cant detect  play in axle bushes, but does sometimes graunch noise nearside,

knock offside.

92 K miles.

Edited by iansmith

• 1 month later...

I took the fabia to the garage down the road. He said it was silencer baffles, and needs new shock absorbers.

So I replaced the rear silencer, not blowing , the outer skin had holes but the inner skin was intact. No difference to knocking on speed humps.

I then replaced the os rear shock, but I could not see anything wrong with it.

At this stage I noticed the shock upper mount rubber was maybe too deteriorated but not causing any movement with just hand pressure.

I have now replaced this mount https://tinyurl.com/y6n572l8 and now no knocking.

The garage would have charged for shocks and exhaust system ...

Hum, very annoying being encouraged to replace a rear box just because the outer skin is holed, the original rear box would have probably lasted longer than this new one, I had to resort to buying a couple of SS bands to keep the outer skin "okay" on my wife's Polo when it was 12 years 100k miles old, did the same with older daughter's late 2009 Ibiza when it was only 9 years 50k miles - then she sold it.

I've heard of these top mounts "going", though at 16 years the originals have had a good life, sometimes the valves inside the basically under used rear dampers start to get a bit slow to open so that can cause a bit of knocking.

At the beginning of your last posting it began to sound that this "garage" was in fact a fast fit place trying to get you to replace anything that they stocked!

Bizarrely, mine developed a knocking on the drivers' side rear immediately after fitting brand-new dampers. This occured especially when reversing but also going forwards at slow speeds. I thought the damper must be faulty so I fitted another new one - exactly the same knocking. So then I replaced the top mounts - exactly the same knocking :blink: Started to drive me nuts but gave up as I had checked everything else I could think of. After using the car for several weeks the knocking vanished and has never returned. Cars are funny bloody things :tongue:

Edited by TMB