Bridgestone Weather Control A005

Guest BigJase88

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

I gave up few years ago worrying about fuel consumption when on my same 13 mile commute to office at roughly same time of day I discovered that traffic levels meant I typically got about 41-43mpg, but during school holidays got 47-52 mpg, and on days where there were accidents or roadworks got 33-38mpg.  Simply due to differing traffic levels and congestion.

Having discovered same route at same time could be anything from 33-52 mpg depending on traffic levels, rather made worrying about few percent of fuel consumption to be pointless.

If @stever750 wants rock hard Eco tyres on the smallest rims possible to save fuel then that is his/her choice, but realistically would be better to choose the smallest most economical car possible to go with the tyres.  However for most people tyres that get you home whatever the weather are more important.

In normal non pandemic circumstances, I cover around 35-40k a year business miles, so a few mpg difference adds up to a significant £ over a year. Most of that mileage is tedious M wya driving, so wet weather performance and eco are the highest priority, but for private mileage then handling and outright grip matter, as I'm spending my cash on my pleasure, after all, I didn't buy a vRS 245 for its thrift. I was trying to understand what difference there was between the different all season tyres v OE as a guide that's all, as there are alternatives to the Bridgestones, and I doubt the dry performance difference between say the Vredestein, Bridgestone or the Michelins is worth worrying about, but eco is (for me, when we all start having factory visits and face to face meetings again).  Anyway, I've just ordered 4 for fitting next week.

Just to confuse you more, as you are high mileage, perhaps you ought consider the offerings from Tyre reviews who have also tested UHP (Ultra High Performance) all seasons

2020 UHP All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

2020 top 5 summary

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Cooper Zeon RS3 G1

Continental Extremecontact DWS 06

With your mileage most tyres would need replacing within a year, so why not work your way through the top ones each year and eventually decide on a favourite.

We all select tyres that meet our particular circumstances, I like A005 as they meet my needs, I don't consider Michelin's as they have harder compound which I don't class as a reason to buy.  OE are generally summer tyres with very limited performance below 5C whereas All season are better suited for cold weather and operate in warmer conditions and are perfectly suited to the UK conditions

Edited by Kenrw8

Any choice you make, All season or Winter  ( can be a good choice) , it will be the right one and time will tell if it was the right one. And with your mileage you'll find out sooner than normal for your second choice. I made a choice from tyre reviews and YouTube vids for the A005 nearly three years ago and confidently and stuck with them for their replacement with Evo version.

Edited by Kenrw8

Back to the OP

Had a set fitted this morning, and apart from the expected tyre pressure warning alert, nothing much to say. Not driven in anger yet, and it's dry at the moment, but they're no noisier than the Potenzas they replaced.