Bridgestone Weather Control A005

Guest BigJase88

Guest BigJase88

As per thread title got 4 of these on the way. I usually use Summer tyres all year round but with the missus now driving and a 9 month old child i need something safer so i have decided to run all season tyres for the first time. Didn’t fancy a full winter and the carry on of chopping and changing alloys and tyres over.

sparse reviews on this tyre. Does anybody have any experience with them?

3 hours ago, BigJase88 said:

As per thread title got 4 of these on the way. I usually use Summer tyres all year round but with the missus now driving and a 9 month old child i need something safer so i have decided to run all season tyres for the first time. Didn’t fancy a full winter and the carry on of chopping and changing alloys and tyres over.

sparse reviews on this tyre. Does anybody have any experience with them?

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Weather-Control-A005.htm

Michelin CrossClimate+

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/CrossClimate-Plus.htm

The Michelin CrossClimate+ scored better than the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 for:

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Handling

Wear

Comfort

Buy again

Snow grip

Ice grip

So the Michelin won in all nine categories. No wonder 89% would buy the Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres again compared to a rather low 68% for the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 tyres.

Edited by Carlston

• 2 weeks later...

Have Bridgestone A005 weather control on our roomster.  Have had them nearly 2 years.

They are brilliant in Autumn, as they grip really well in cold rain, sleet, muddy field run off etc.   Much better than summer tyres in slushy snow, and icy puddles etc.   Seem to wear very well as ours still have loads of tread.

The only downside is slightly more noisy on poor surfaces than some other brands

Guest BigJase88

I got 4 of them in the end. 

no complaints so far.

seem quiet enough and have ample grip. They give up a little bit at full beans in 1st in the dry. In the wet though you could drive through a monsoon. No aquaplaning here!

• 3 months later...

I had crossclimates in my previous Roomster 1.2 77KW Tsi, at 195/55/15. Not a complaint and even I got uphills on a rural road with few cm of snow. Not like a winter tyre but never got stuck. For a weird reason they were slipping on summer dry roads while gripped very well on wet roads.

Now in my current MK1 Octavia estate 4x4 1.8T, I am on A005s at 205/55/16 since the last days of August. I feel them performing better that Michelins all around but due to covid lockdown I missed the first snow on mountain roads. So no idea how they are going to grip in snow.

Yes I know two totally different cars, but what I mentioned about Michelins I was told by a friend of mine for having them fitted on a Dacia Logan pick up.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@stratosg Interesting on your experience,

but i seem to be missing what the friend with the Logan Pick up said about Michelins.

The same as I reported above. He found them to be not that grippy on dry roads no matter winter or summer, beyond that they are above average for a family driving style. Both in Roomster and Logan they tend to spin when pulling from a slightly inclined intersection (just an example) or giving the feeling of loosing the traction / orbit on stiff corners.

--Edit---

I am Greek and thus my English may sounds like Greek to you. I try to do my best but...

---End of edit---

Edited by stratosg
  • Thanks 1

@stratosg  Very strange,

but then maybe if you said what ambient temps and road surface temps you are talking about that would be informative.

PS

I find that CrossClimates on a most roasting Scottish Day stick like a sticking thing when accelerating and so good that for a 1/4 mile sprint i would use them.

But then that is only into the mid 20's air temperature.

It will be good to hear how the tyres you have now behave in the snow and when you get to summer.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Indeed very strange. Both me and my friend agree with you. But as I said they are great all year tyres with very good overall performance and very good tear and wear attitude. They tend to wear similarly and have a slow pace of wear. I like driving at 100Kph to 120Kph (60 to 75 mph) in all kind of tarmac roads (free ways or good quality rural roads) and 60kph to 80kph(ca. 35 to 50 mph) in tight rural roads, always putting my and other road users safety on top and adjusting my speed accordingly. On these speeds I base my report.

11 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@stratosg 

It will be good to hear how the tyres you have now behave in the snow and when you get to summer.

Until mid of October we had temps above 25 degrees centigrade. Today we have 15. A005 were fitted end of summer and until end of September we had some over 32C. I would like to see how they will do when summer temps will reach 38 to 40 degrees.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@stratosg Was that CrossClimates on the Roomster rather than CrossClimate plus,

and what tyres did you have before those and was there never wheel spin with those?

It was  CrossClimate plus. Before them I had Continentals premium contact 2 (if I recall correctly) from factory and then Pirelli Cinturato P1 Verde.

Contis were like suction cups for the first 20.000 Kms then they started to loose performance very rapidly and they started to get a soapy surface and changed them at 40.000Kms. Then Pirellis were excellent summer tyres but in case of snow it was a nightmare. Excellent grip and breaking performance especially on wet roads. They were on the car for about 90.000Kms and I changed them because they had a lot of tread remaining but they got so stiff at the second half of year four, they were like train wheels on tarmac. Amazing time for playing with car on empty parking lots the last days of their life.

If my parents and my wife's parents were at the same city we live I would kept fitting summer tyres, but having to travel over 200Kms in winter time in different directions in northern Greece, all weathers are the best solution in my case.

Edited by stratosg
  • Thanks 1

With the cross climates did you put an extra couple of psi in them?  I've found they are very good but do need a slightly higher pressure than recommended for the usual summer tyres.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

With the cross climates did you put an extra couple of psi in them?  I've found they are very good but do need a slightly higher pressure than recommended for the usual summer tyres.

Yes I did. Especially during summer time

• Like 1

Have to say the A005 on our roomster are brilliant on local rural roads in cold wet weather, they deal with all the muddy field run off water as if it isn’t there.

The sides of the car get very dirty around here, the V grooves throw more water to the sides that summer tyres with longitudinal grooves

Ours are original A005, not the recently introduced evo improved version 

Might even get to try them in snow if weather forecast for last few days of December is correct.

Edited by SurreyJohn

• 7 months later...
On 18/08/2020 at 23:58, Carlston said:

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Weather-Control-A005.htm

Michelin CrossClimate+

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/CrossClimate-Plus.htm

The Michelin CrossClimate+ scored better than the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 for:

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Handling

Wear

Comfort

Buy again

Snow grip

Ice grip

So the Michelin won in all nine categories. No wonder 89% would buy the Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres again compared to a rather low 68% for the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 tyres.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Conclusion is that the Bridgestone is the best option for the UK climate, ie more weighted towards wet and dry rather than snow. I'm slightly concerned about the different results in rolling resistance, as I will eventually return to high mileages now that the worst of Covid seems to have passed

I didn't notice much difference between Weather control and OE Bridgestone T005 Turanzas on my Karoq. Maybe 1-2 mpg less with the Weather Controls on according to my Fuelly stats. They were very good in the rain and dry on a small SUV where sportiness is not a consideration. Performed adequately in the snow (much better than OE), but snow braking not the best.

On 28/07/2021 at 15:29, Luckypants said:

I didn't notice much difference between Weather control and OE Bridgestone T005 Turanzas on my Karoq. Maybe 1-2 mpg less with the Weather Controls on according to my Fuelly stats. They were very good in the rain and dry on a small SUV where sportiness is not a consideration. Performed adequately in the snow (much better than OE), but snow braking not the best.

That's useful info, 2 mpg is significant for me on long business trips. I'm reading that the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is a similar summer biased all season, but with a low rolling resistance. Would be good to hear from someone that has tried both!

I'm on on my second set of A005 (28k of hard driving) , got EVO type this time and get 45 ish mpg at 70mph , at 80 drops to 40 ish. Car is 60 reg 1.2 tsi remapped to 120bhp which I'm pleased with.

Edited by Kenrw8

3 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

I'm on on my second set of A005 (28k of hard driving) , got EVO type this time and get 45 ish mpg at 70mph , at 80 drops to 40 ish. Car is 60 reg 1.2 tsi remapped to 120bhp which I'm pleased with.

any comparison to the stock or any summer tyre?

Got. Evo as they're the latest according to Bridgestone press release

https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/story/mobility/bridgestone-launches-weather-control-a005-evo

https://tyretradenews.co.uk/news/bridgestone-launches-weather-control-a005-evo/

Also now that standard petrol is E10 this fuel now apparently is less fuel efficient over the old E5 grade.

10% ethanol compared to 5%.

2]Based on the internal tests carried out by Bridgestone vs. WeatherControl A005 in Sweden proving ground. Tyre size 205/55R16 94V. Tractive Force in [5-35 kph] range increased by 3% vs. predecessor. Snow Braking distance in [40-5 kph] range decreased by 3% vs. predecessor. Lateral acceleration increased by 4% vs. predecessor in Snow slalom test at 50kph.

Edited by Kenrw8

55 minutes ago, stever750 said:

any comparison to the stock or any summer tyre?

Took the Roomster from Wiltshire to Yorkshire earlier in the week and can’t really tell the difference on motorways and main roads.  They are slightly more rumbly on poor tarmac

The real difference is in the colder months when the all-seasons grip a lot better in cold rain.

44 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Took the Roomster from Wiltshire to Yorkshire earlier in the week and can’t really tell the difference on motorways and main roads.  They are slightly more rumbly on poor tarmac

The real difference is in the colder months when the all-seasons grip a lot better in cold rain.

It's the effect on fuel eco that concerns me, I get the benefits of winter grip and trade off for summer grip etc.

The Evo tyres were announced in Oct 20 , so hopefully you may get some impericable evidence. I've placed all the info that I found. To be fair I haven't noticed any difference since fitting the Evo in February, mind you I don't keep records of fuel consumption. My range is between 360 (local and heavy acceleration) and 430 (prolong cruise, long range mway / dual carriageway) miles.

For which I'm very happy with along with excellent handling in the wet , dry, grip in fast corners / bends.

The choice is yours, if any doubts don't get them, my choice in future will be A005 Evo.

Edited by Kenrw8
  • Like 1

I gave up few years ago worrying about fuel consumption when on my same 13 mile commute to office at roughly same time of day I discovered that traffic levels meant I typically got about 41-43mpg, but during school holidays got 47-52 mpg, and on days where there were accidents or roadworks got 33-38mpg.  Simply due to differing traffic levels and congestion.

Having discovered same route at same time could be anything from 33-52 mpg depending on traffic levels, rather made worrying about few percent of fuel consumption to be pointless.

If @stever750 wants rock hard Eco tyres on the smallest rims possible to save fuel then that is his/her choice, but realistically would be better to choose the smallest most economical car possible to go with the tyres.  However for most people tyres that get you home whatever the weather are more important.

• Love it! 1