Oil Consumption 1.0 TSI

Tezaman

Hi there , 

The second Oil change made at 14.000 kilometers and dealer used Castrol  Magnatek professional 5w-40 just like the first oil service 

Recently i made in short period of time aroun 2800kilometers with avarage speed 120km-150km  , after that i checked the oil and it was in the middle of the dipstick mark wich means 0.5liters . 

So i am wondering  , do i have to use my warranty ?

As it is the recommended oil for your engine is 5w 30 III  so Full Synthetic Long Life.  VW504 / 507

That is for fixed or variable / flexible servicing.

(In 2018 they were leaving the factory with VW508 / 509 so 0w 20 FS IV ready for the WLTP / RDE... to lower emissions and fuel consumption...)

You re using VW502 which you can for fixed service intervals.

9,400 miles / 372 days. / 15,00 km.

?

Are you checking your oil level when the engine oil is at operating temperature, so at above 80*oC to 90*oC?

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.7666e3c402a00b91816ff12f6dc15fe5.png

post-86161-0-06277400-1446204589.jpg.06a5faadd40d6ae7e9ada9589d60a07f.jpg

post-86161-0-17131500-1446204596.jpg.f4879e9291ac66329303062395fe92ab.jpg

972195316_Screenshot2019-07-21at16_37_00.png.8d4d9f7044d54aed70e7ca9a6b87deb7.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

Skoda dealers in Greece, use Castrol  Magnatek professional they claim that is recommended by skoda!!!! 

I am checking the engine cold in flat surface, I just made mistake by holding dipstick in right direction and was reading false values 

Edited by Tezaman

I was filled up with 5W30 aka VW504 at my service at the main dealer earlier this month in the UK and my car is on a fixed time (annual) service regime.

I triple checked with them and its on the invoice too.

Can someone tell me. What's  VW504

is a type of oil that oil companies can produce? 

Is a dedicated vag oil from vw? 

Anyone have picture of the bottle? 

"VW xxx xx"  oils are a specification of Oil type and viscosity for the cars in the VAG group (iuncluding Skoda, Audi, Seat, VW and proably others.  They are not any different to any other oils of the same specification e.g. "VW 504 00"  is 5W30 fully Synthetic oil.  When you search for 5W30 oil at your choosen supplier look at the pack and make sure it says compliant to "VW 504 00".  Your user manual for your car will tell you what VW specification you should be using. You may have 2 choices and the oil used will depend upon your service regime (i.e. Fixed Interval" or "Extended Life".

🙂

As for Castrol Magnatec Professional I don't think its on the list as being VW 504 00.  It is however VW 502 00/ 505 00.  See here from a bigish supplier of oils in the UK https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/motor-oil-search?release[0]=vw-504-00

I am no expert though so will defer to people with more knowlege.

And... in fairness to you the manual is very badly laid out indeed.  My manual is not like the image from e-Roottoot  - Even though he is perfectly right about what he says. 

The standard manual is unecessarily vague in my opinion.

image.png.dc943efd884afc5bf45ab8c1d305e47b.png  

It makes no mention at all in any other parts of the 328 page manual about the use of VW 508 or VW 504.   That is why it is leading to the same old question being asked again and again by (quite rightly) confused owners - I was the same 🙂

Paul 

Edited by smipx

If you check out the "maintenance manuals" here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/files/category/11-skoda-karoq/ 

you can find the maintenance manual for your specific engine and in there it will tell you 🙂

e.g.  Skoda Karoq - Maintenance Workshop Manual  should help.   Look at pages 46-48

From my very limited understanding VW 508 has been introduced to reduce emissions in order that VW can comply to new tighter regulations with their older and potentially "non-compliant" tech. The oil used makes a difference to the emissions values however this is at the expense of engine wear so as others here may have mentioned you may prefer to use VW 504 and to hell with the emissions (if you plan on keeping your car or care about engine and component wear).   The poor person who gets a VW 508 filled engine after 5 to 10 years of runing with VW 508 may well have some big bills for worn out parts but by then the original owner will have moved on and will not care.

I tend to keep my cars for 10 years so I and happy with VW 504.  VW have to "Specify" VW 508 at the factory and put that in the end user manual (or make the manual so abigous that you just don't know) or they would be breaking the emissions laws.  They would never knowingly do that (of course - ahem (mutters dieselgate under his breath...   😮) so they specify it, fill it up with VW 508, comply with the regulations and then let the franchised dealership workshops decide whether to use VW 508 or VW504 or "Spry Crisp and Dry". 

It's all desingned (IMHO) to confuse and obfuscate.

Paul

Edited by smipx

2 hours ago, smipx said:

If you check out the "maintenance manuals" here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/files/category/11-skoda-karoq/ 

you can find the maintenance manual for your specific engine and in there it will tell you 🙂

e.g.  Skoda Karoq - Maintenance Workshop Manual  should help.   Look at pages 46-48

From my very limited understanding VW 508 has been introduced to reduce emissions in order that VW can comply to new tighter regulations with their older and potentially "non-compliant" tech. The oil used makes a difference to the emissions values however this is at the expense of engine wear so as others here may have mentioned you may prefer to use VW 504 and to hell with the emissions (if you plan on keeping your car or care about engine and component wear).   The poor person who gets a VW 508 filled engine after 5 to 10 years of runing with VW 508 may well have some big bills for worn out parts but by then the original owner will have moved on and will not care.

I tend to keep my cars for 10 years so I and happy with VW 504.  VW have to "Specify" VW 508 at the factory and put that in the end user manual (or make the manual so abigous that you just don't know) or they would be breaking the emissions laws.  They would never knowingly do that (of course - ahem (mutters dieselgate under his breath...   😮) so they specify it, fill it up with VW 508, comply with the regulations and then let the franchised dealership workshops decide whether to use VW 508 or VW504 or "Spry Crisp and Dry". 

It's all desingned (IMHO) to confuse and obfuscate.

Paul

Manual say vw502 but there's a Q6 something with 508 I don't know what Q is representing (quarter?) 

IMG_20200823_205123.jpg

8 hours ago, Tezaman said:

i dont understand whats is going on with skoda EU 😄

Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 complies with the  VW 502 00 standard, thus being the right oil for annual change.

Edited by agedbriar
  • Like 1

@Tezaman

Maybe just try dipping your oil as you do which is cold without the engine being started and parked on the flat.

Than after you have driven someplace, at least 16 km then try checking it after stopping a few minutes, and that is a few like 4 or 5 and see where it is.

The cold check at least lets you know  there is oil before a journey. 

When you know where the oil is cold, and where it is when at operating temp and as the dipstick shows then you always will know that when checked cold there is the correct quantity in.

Too many TSI's are run with low oil levels.  Too many Professional / Trained / Qualified VW Techs have them leave the workshop low.

The 5w 40 FS to VW502 is OK for Fixed Servicing. 

As it is with 1.0TSI only time will tell if Long Life Oil and long service intervals will prove to cause short lived engines.

5W 39 FS III from Castrol was the death knell of many a Euro 5 TSI,  we will see eventually how the 0w 20 FS IV (VW 508 /509) crap does for them.

Manual say vw502 but there's a Q6 something with 508 I don't know what Q is representing (quarter?) 

So do I have to change   vw508 00 in order to have healthy motor?? 

IMG_20200823_205123.jpg

@Tezaman

VW 504 / 507  so 5w30 FS III or VW508 / 509 so 0w 20 FS IV must be used if doing variable / flexible servicing. so 24 months / 18,000-20.000 miles intervals.

VW502 so  5w 40 FS is fine for fixed service intervals.  Maybe just the fuel consumption could be higher. Who cares,  the oil is good.

VW went to the 0w20 FS IV incase any models imported into the likes of the UK were restested for the WLTP.

They had to meet the Certificated results.

VW group vehicles have been tested at random in the UK since early 2016.   VW had to pay towards it because they were lying cheats.  They continue to be.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

QI6: flexible service interval,  oil change after 2 years max.

QI1: fixed service interval, oil change after 5000 km or 1 year
QI2: fixed service interval, oil change after 7500 km or 1 year
QI3: fixed service interval, oil change after 10000 km or 1 year
QI4: fixed service interval, oil change after 15000 km or 1 year.

QI4 is what mine is set to.

Edited by agedbriar