Fabia 1.2TSI Monte Carlo Tyre Questions

zom414

I've got a couple of questions about the tyres on my 2016 Fabia Monte Carlo that I'm sure you fine folks here can help me with.

Firstly, after my recent service I was advised that there is an average of 3mm on the front tyres and the rears have over 5mm, although they are still legal I was advised that they should be changed.  As it's now heading into autumn/winter would it be adviseable to replace the front tyres?  Not doing much mileage at all since covid kicked in so not sure whether or not to keep them a bit longer.

Secondly, if I was to replace the front tyres do I have the new ones fitted to the rear and put the rear ones with 5mm on the front?  Don't know if I've ever done that before but doing a bit of reading on the web it seems that quite a few garages recommend this.

Lastly, not sure what tyres to look at purchasing if needed.  Current ones are 215/45R16H Turanza ER300 that were factory fitted so just coming up to 4 years old.  Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks for the (incoming) help.

Hi, in regards to the tread depth - swap the 5mm rears to the front and the general consensus is put the new tyres on the rear.  The reason for this is that it is generally considered safer for the vehicle to understeer (more grip on the rear)  Watch out for any rotation direction arrows if the tyres are 'directional'  I will leave tyre recommendations to others - although I did see some new ones recently that were rated as A/A (grip/economy) - I would have to look up the brand. I currently run Continental summers and Alpin5s in the winter. 

3 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi, in regards to the tread depth - swap the 5mm rears to the front and the general consensus is put the new tyres on the rear.  The reason for this is that it is generally considered safer for the vehicle to understeer (more grip on the rear)  Watch out for any rotation direction arrows if the tyres are 'directional'  I will leave tyre recommendations to others - although I did see some new ones recently that were rated as A/A (grip/economy) - I would have to look up the brand. I currently run Continental summers and Alpin5s in the winter. 

Thanks, tyres are not directional so that's one less thing to think about. 

Hi, the tyres I was thinking about are the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 (B/A rating, not AA) Take a look at something like tyre reviews UK 2020 - these rated 2nd after the Continental Premium Contact 6. 

• Thanks 1

It is best not to mix different tred patterns, so my advice is to swap the fronts and rears, which should slow the wear until they need replacing. Then replace them all together. Tyres are too important to mess with. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TerFar said:

It is best not to mix different tred patterns, so my advice is to swap the fronts and rears, which should slow the wear until they need replacing. Then replace them all together. Tyres are too important to mess with. 

Thanks but from what I've been reading since I posted this is that the tyres with the most tread should be on the back.  If I swap them over now the rear tyres will only be 3mm whereas the front will be 5mm.  I understand what you're saying about not mixing treads but not ready to swap all 4 yet.

Swap the rears to the front but diagonally. 

Goodyear Eff Grip Perf 2 might only be in a 'V' speed rating which is faster than your 'H' tyres.

In your size they are B Fuel Efficiency. A wet grip and 69 DB for noise.

They are also listed as quieter than your Bridgestones.

You can still get Goodyear Eff Grip Perf in an 'H' though.

In your size they are C Fuel Efficiency. A wet grip and 68 DB for noise.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2020 at 20:36, AGFalco said:

Swap the rears to the front but diagonally.

Be wary of doing this, some tyres are directional, having them the wrong way can have some rather nasty consequences. Mostly due to how the water clearing pathways in the tread is designed, so you might well find you aquaplane in very little water.

On a side note, i had much success with Avon ZV7 tyres, A wet grip, B for fuel if i remember correctly, they're incredibly quiet and comfortable to drive on (those db ratings are roadside noise ratings from outside the car, a bit pointless if you ask me)

I also found them incredibly grippy in the wet - almost on par with the Dunlops i have on now (i changed from 16" to 17" wheels).

5 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Be wary of doing this, some tyres are directional, having them the wrong way can have some rather nasty consequences. Mostly due to how the water clearing pathways in the tread is designed, so you might well find you aquaplane in very little water.

On a side note, i had much success with Avon ZV7 tyres, A wet grip, B for fuel if i remember correctly, they're incredibly quiet and comfortable to drive on (those db ratings are roadside noise ratings from outside the car, a bit pointless if you ask me)

I also found them incredibly grippy in the wet - almost on par with the Dunlops i have on now (i changed from 16" to 17" wheels).

OP has said that present tyres are not directional.

On 01/09/2020 at 16:22, zom414 said:

Current ones are 215/45R16H Turanza ER300

On 01/09/2020 at 16:46, zom414 said:

Thanks, tyres are not directional

You can also get sided tyres, as well as LHD/RHD, symmetrical, asymmetrical and directional types.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/09/2020 at 19:17, TerFar said:

Ooo not the best advice..... have the more warn tyres can be asking for trouble. More so in wet conditions. The ideal way is new ones on the back back ones to the front. 

1 hour ago, CRASH67 said:

Ooo not the best advice..... have the more warn tyres can be asking for trouble. More so in wet conditions. The ideal way is new ones on the back back ones to the front. 

1 hour ago, TerFar said:

Depends on the level of wear, otherwise I'd agree. I'm not suggesting using overworn tyres either end. 

I agree with both, i've driven in torrential rain on a motorway with rear tyres which had about 2mm tread left, and brand new tyres on the front. The rear of the car was incredibly floaty an felt like they were on ice, i drove accordingly though, gentlest turns and only braking if absolutely necessary as at that point anything could have sent the car sideways taking me with it off the road.

I'd rather have had the new tyres on the rear, but as i'd just had the fronts changed and was already booked in to have those rears changed the next day (the tyre place didn't have the tyres i wanted in at the time and i had to wait a day), i didn't have much choice in the matter. Just bad timing.

3 hours ago, TerFar said:

Depends on the level of wear, otherwise I'd agree. I'm not suggesting using overworn tyres either end. 

I tend to prefer the newer tyres on the back. At very least nothing under 4mm ideally. Only because i got bitten by making this error early on in driving as my early logic was best tyres on driving axle in majority my cases the front... it caught me out luckily no major incident just enough to teach me a lesson.. lol