Wireless Android Auto Dongle working with video

Hi Guys,

Just posting here as I know many of you may want this in your cars.

I've been testing the prototype of the this kickstarter in my octavia...

AAWireless Crowd Fund

Below is a video of of connecting wirelessly on my MIB2 head unit

MIB2 Wireless Android Auto

Feel free to ask any questions or join the #aawireless slack group to ask the developer directly.

Cheers

Edited by Marshy33
  • Like 1

I was just about to post this, nice to see it working on the MIB2!. I ordered mine over the weekend, just in time for the 'December' delivery, new orders are now February.

How does the phone itself connect to the unit? Do you need an extra app?

Edited by Dave77

Yeah can't believe how quickly it hit 100%! Good work getting in early.

The dongle will initially connect to your phones Bluetooth, once successful the dongle sends Wifi credentials to the phone and a wifi link is created and the Bluetooth will be disconnected. No app is actually required as it using Android Autos native functionality. The headunit then just sees the phone as if it was plugged in.

That being said an app will be on the phone for OTA updates to the dongle and possibly some other settings, but this is yet to developed. The main focus is testing as many cars / head units as possible and fixing any quirks they may have. 

My main issue with AA is the constant disconnections with my car. It was fine on my last phone but has been a PITA since I got a Huawei P30 Pro, usually I have to uninstall AA then reinstall to fix. Hopefully a wireless solution will fix that but i'll lose the ability to change my phone. Will the unit itself have a USB socket to pass through charge to a phone?

2 minutes ago, Dave77 said:

My main issue with AA is the constant disconnections with my car. It was fine on my last phone but has been a PITA since I got a Huawei P30 Pro, usually I have to uninstall AA then reinstall to fix. Hopefully a wireless solution will fix that but i'll lose the ability to change my phone. Will the unit itself have a USB socket to pass through charge to a phone?

Hi Dave,

No the final product won't have a usb passthrough.

It was thought most people would tend to use the cigarette lighter and a faster charger.

A usb hub may also help, but this isn't something that is being specifically tested, but I know it does work with some cars.

• 1 month later...

I've just spotted this, sound a bit dodgy!!!!

The project team has not yet produced a working demo for their concept. Their ability to successfully produce a prototype may be affected by product development or financial challenges.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cardroid-car-pc-android-auto-usb-computer-dongle

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got mine today, setup in less than a minute!

All looks good so far, I had to enable Wifi+ on my P30 Pro so that my phone could use 4G whilst connected over wifi to AAWireless.

No I need to find a place to hide the little dongle :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Any fresh updates on this device guys? I've trawled through their website for compatible headunits but can't find the Skoda Amundsen unit in the 2020 Kamiq. Is this little device as good as it appears ?

7 minutes ago, Rivendell63 said:

Any fresh updates on this device guys? I've trawled through their website for compatible headunits but can't find the Skoda Amundsen unit in the 2020 Kamiq. Is this little device as good as it appears ?

There was initially an issue with the technisat mib2 units, which has now been fixed in a recent software update.

The unit itself works perfectly, just like when it's wired.

I use it daily and have no issues at all.

Edited by Marshy33

I have issues with mine

1. Sometimes I get a black screen when entering AA on the HU, with just bottom menu showing (logged with them but they said my phone is the issue)
  2. Sometimes I get no mobile data when connected to AAWireless (logged with them but they said my phone is the issue)
  3. Sometimes it works perfectly!

I think most issues are down to what phone you use, they've recently said that they would recommend Android 11 and would not support Android 10 or lower on Xiaomi phones. My current phone is a Huawei P30 Pro with Android 10, I doubt it will be getting Android 11. 

I'm back to using the cable, actually the one that came with AAWireless as it seems to be better than my previous ones!

57 minutes ago, Dave77 said:

I have issues with mine

1. Sometimes I get a black screen when entering AA on the HU, with just bottom menu showing (logged with them but they said my phone is the issue)
  2. Sometimes I get no mobile data when connected to AAWireless (logged with them but they said my phone is the issue)
  3. Sometimes it works perfectly!

I think most issues are down to what phone you use, they've recently said that they would recommend Android 11 and would not support Android 10 or lower on Xiaomi phones. My current phone is a Huawei P30 Pro with Android 10, I doubt it will be getting Android 11. 

I'm back to using the cable, actually the one that came with AAWireless as it seems to be better than my previous ones!

That sucks! But youre right where Huawei doesn't officially support Google, there have been issues with these phones.

On 15/06/2021 at 17:35, Marshy33 said:

That sucks! But youre right where Huawei doesn't officially support Google, there have been issues with these phones.

Mine's a P30 Pro, pre the Trump ban, so has full Google stuff. They say it should work perfectly on my phone, it does, but only 50% of the time! 

10 hours ago, Rivendell63 said:

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like I'll be making a purchase shortly

I'd get one ordered asap if you want one this year, they're struggling with part supplies at the moment.

Edited by Dave77

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys

Can someone who is using this AAWireless device in their Skoda give a feedback on how the unit works after a few months of using it? Are there many people now using it? Are you satisfied? Is the device working properly? 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, BogdanColdea said:

Hey guys

Can someone who is using this AAWireless device in their Skoda give a feedback on how the unit works after a few months of using it? Are there many people now using it? Are you satisfied? Is the device working properly? 

Thanks

I use it every day without any issues. It's just like it's plugged in. Havnt used any of the original mib2 features since I got it.

4 minutes ago, nidza said:

Missed to understand, you need android auto enabled head unit? In other words, should work with a cable without this little gadget, a this one only forwards it wirelessly?

Yes the head unit needs to support android auto via cable to work

• Like 1

Well, this gives completely another story to get a license from the dealers. I didn’t configured it initially, as I honestly do not want any cables around.

Thank you a lot. Please keep posting, I am watching carefully.