Lost: marbles

There's a Skoda website where you can pay a small amount for a limted amount of time to access and download various documents for your car. I think I downloaded some workshop manuals from there a couple of yeas ago. Help me out here: what is that website? Damned if I can remember or find it now, but I have another car on the way and I want to check a few things.

11 minutes ago, wagonist said:

Can someone give an idea of how the Erwin site works please.

Create an account, login, pay for shortest access possible, enter your VIN, download EVERY document you see as a PDF onto local hard drive.

• Like 1

My latest problem is a headlight washer not squirting, but to be honest, probably anything and everything. Already done an LED DRL controller replacement in my short ownership. This forum has been an awesome resource.

I bought my car just going out of warranty and am used to working on my own cars. However everything I've owned and modified before has been Japanese or Korean.

So I'd like to learn as much as possible so I can figure out how much different a Euro car is.

Looking at the Erwin site looks like maybe can register for free, but I know the use isn't. Was curious if it's pay by the module, or from other responses a timed thing.

Sorry, I'm a but fussy about trying to plan for unknowns in advance (comes with the territory of what I do for a job, and is part of why I'm good at it)

OK, well to the best of my knowledge there are two quite different approaches possible within erWin.

Under the 'Vehicle specific information' tab, you can input your VIN, get the car data for your car (as a pdf download) and look up pretty much any info specifically about your particular car. But apart from the car data, most of that info is only available in viewable or printable form, page by page. Even with print to pdf, this can make large-scale data gathering time-consuming and thus expensive.  You can also view TPIs in this area.

On the other hand, under the 'Individual vehicle information' tab you can download everything you can see as pdfs. This includes the Self Study Programmes as well as everything available maintenance/repair/circuit diagram-wise but for models (e.g. mk1 Fabia) as opposed to info tailored/filtered for your specific vehicle.  Obviously, given a good bandwidth connection this allows downloading and saving of a hell of a lot more info per hour of 'flat rate' paid. In fact I don't think I've ever timed out of the hour (7 Euros plus tax) before I've run out of ideas as to what I want to download next.

I guess the best approach is probably to start in the latter area, download everything that looks useful or interesting, then pop into the vehicle-specific area to see what additional, more targeted info you can glean/save/print there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wagonist said:

My latest problem is a headlight washer not squirting, but to be honest, probably anything and everything. Already done an LED DRL controller replacement in my short ownership. This forum has been an awesome resource.

I bought my car just going out of warranty and am used to working on my own cars. However everything I've owned and modified before has been Japanese or Korean.

So I'd like to learn as much as possible so I can figure out how much different a Euro car is.

Looking at the Erwin site looks like maybe can register for free, but I know the use isn't. Was curious if it's pay by the module, or from other responses a timed thing.

Sorry, I'm a but fussy about trying to plan for unknowns in advance (comes with the territory of what I do for a job, and is part of why I'm good at it)

oh dear....

Was the previous owner a Briskoda VCDS tinkerer??? :-)

The headlight washers can be altered, so they don't wash every 3rd go.  I've got mine set to every 10th go, otherwise it uses all of the washer tanker in a week.  I live in the scottish borders where roads are confused for dirt tracks.

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

oh dear....

Was the previous owner a Briskoda VCDS tinkerer??? :-)

The headlight washers can be altered, so they don't wash every 3rd go.  I've got mine set to every 10th go, otherwise it uses all of the washer tanker in a week.  I live in the scottish borders where roads are confused for dirt tracks.

Trust me, not likely he tinkered with it.

Wish I could find someone with VCDS near me so I could get the headlights aimed properly. If I wanted to look at the ground, I'd get out and walk :p

Not much dirt road in the middle of Sydney, Australia... But I would like to get the settings changed so they only came on if I hold the windscreen washers for at least 3 or 4 seconds.

But I'll leave the electronic stuff for now, my previous newest car was a 99 Corolla, it's a bit out of my depth for now.