Rear tyres sawtoothing

Is this still popular on Octavias?

Mine has developed a thrumming noise from the back that sounds like the tyres sawtoothing like they did on my last vRS. There is plenty of tread left on them and I can’t see any evidence so wanted to check before wasting time at the dealer or buying £400 of tyres for little benefit. 

45 minutes ago, Steve vRS said:

Is this still popular on Octavias?

Mine has developed a thrumming noise from the back that sounds like the tyres sawtoothing like they did on my last vRS. There is plenty of tread left on them and I can’t see any evidence so wanted to check before wasting time at the dealer or buying £400 of tyres for little benefit. 

Easy to tell if it is sawtoothing, rub your hand one way round the tread and it will feel smooth, rub it the other way it will feel rough. Some tyre makes are more prone to it than others. Wheel bearing still a possibility, that should also be easy to tell up on a ramp or axle stands.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Easy to tell if it is sawtoothing, rub your hand one way round the tread and it will feel smooth, rub it the other way it will feel rough. Some tyre makes are more prone to it than others. Wheel bearing still a possibility, that should also be easy to tell up on a ramp or axle stands.

Yep. It passes the test. Rough one way and smooth the other, more pronounced on the inside edge. Wonder if I can live with the thrum till

after Christmas?

3 minutes ago, Steve vRS said:

Yep. It passes the test. Rough one way and smooth the other, more pronounced on the inside edge. Wonder if I can live with the thrum till

after Christmas?

Are they directional tyres? If not you could swap them to the other side (run them the opposite way) if you do, for the sake of a couple of tyre fitting charges you could swap them to the opposite wheel, (put the inside on the outside)

Depends if you have directional tyres or handed ones with an 'outside'. If you have both you are a bit buggered but you could always put them on the front and wear them flat. Front wheel drive is good for that :notme:

What brand tyres - I had this on my Oct 2 Scout which had 'budget tyres' on when I purchased it -  replaced tyres with Conti's all round & had alignment and it was fine, even when subsequently the new tyres needed replacing a year or so later it was still quiet.

As @flybynite says the saw toothing will most likely have been caused by incorrect rear suspension set up.

I had the same problem with my then brand new mk2 with irs and incorrect setup from the factory.

On 07/10/2020 at 09:10, Steve vRS said:

Pirelli PZeros. 

Reasonable tyres then - once they start to sawtooth it will just get worse.  Get it booked in for an alignment.  I actually had mine done at Kwik Fit and they did a good job .... as mentioned above, its finding someone who knows how to use the kit :)

On 07/10/2020 at 09:10, Steve vRS said:

Pirelli PZeros. 

1 hour ago, ScoutCJB said:

Reasonable tyres then

My experience of PZeros is not the same - I had them as factory fitted on my previous car (Audi RS4) and found them to be terrible - so-so dry grip, awful wet grip, unpredictable handling and short life (9,000 miles where all the other tyres I used over 10 years had lives of at least 15,000 miles). IMHO the best tyres based on grip( wet & dry), secure handling, noise and life was Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

My experience of PZeros is not the same - I had them as factory fitted on my previous car (Audi RS4) and found them to be terrible - so-so dry grip, awful wet grip, unpredictable handling and short life (9,000 miles where all the other tyres I used over 10 years had lives of at least 15,000 miles). IMHO the best tyres based on grip( wet & dry), secure handling, noise and life was Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

I said reasonable (as in they aren't budget). Personally I dont like P Zeros, I had them on my A6 Allroad and i thought they were shocking.  When I got an irrepairable puncture i changed them all and went for Rainsport 3's, the other 3 P Zeros are sat in the garage with 6mm of tread on ..... Thats how much I didnt like them 

• Like 1

I am fully in agreement with PetrolDave and ScoutCJB on their opinion of the P Zeros. Had them on from new, but when I mapped my car, changed all four for the Michelin PS4S. The P Zeros could not handle the grip on my car when it was standard in the wet, so with the mapped 329bhp, I knew I needed something with far more grip. Extremely happy with the Michelins. Never had any sawtooth problems with the P Zeros though. 

• Like 1