Electronic Parking Brake

After 10 months of happy driving, something has changed. Whenever I come to a halt now, the green P light is illuminated on the MFD. This means that I can no longer creep along or roll the car back down my drive under the control of the foot brake. I have to press the accelerator first.  Have I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere eg pressing the switch on the central console above the boot opening switch? Advice pl

You've turned on Autohold. Press and hold the bottom row left button on the centre console until it stops being illuminated to disable it. The one with the A to the left of the P

autohold.jpg

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 1

Got to agree autohold is a great feature, mine has been turned  on since day one.

Once you master feathering the brake pedal you soon creep along without the autohold coming on.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ironic that this thread has appeared in the last couple of days as I've just started to turn auto hold off, and I find the car much smoother when pulling away. 

On 15/10/2020 at 21:00, DB72 said:

Ironic that this thread has appeared in the last couple of days as I've just started to turn auto hold off, and I find the car much smoother when pulling away. 

I find you need to be gentle with the throttle.

I turn it off for tight manoeuvring as sometimes it leaps backwards when you overcome the brake.

On 15/10/2020 at 21:00, DB72 said:

The trick is to first lightly dab the throttle, which releases the brake, then 1/2 second later press the pedal again to accelerate. There is thus no slight lurch when you move off, as you would get if you just press and hold the throttle. This has long since become second nature to me and allows the otherwise useful autohold to be left on without compromising smooth driving.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

The trick is to first lightly dab the throttle, which releases the brake, then 1/2 second later press the pedal again to accelerate.

Each to his own but I find that more of a nuisance than just leaving the auto hold feature off and applying the handbrake if and when I want to stop for more than a few seconds.

5 hours ago, DB72 said:

Each to his own but I find that more of a nuisance than just leaving the auto hold feature off and applying the handbrake if and when I want to stop for more than a few seconds.

As long as it's only a few seconds it will be fine but keeping your foot on the brake means that the auto is still engaged leading to wear on the clutches.

The e-Brake / Parking brake is a finger brake as no longer a hand brake, and if using that i assumed the car was put into 'N'.  (i know one should never assume.)

As it is there are so many that think the clutches are wearing with the foot on the brake. Well not really.

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The e-Brake / Parking brake is a finger brake as no longer a hand brake, and if using that i assumed the car was put into 'N'.  (i know one should never assume.)

As it is there are so many that think the clutches are wearing with the foot on the brake. Well not really.

If you use the parking brake you don't have to put it in neutral, the clutches release.

You will see this happening if you watch the rev counter. It will drop a couple of hundred rpm.

4 minutes ago, facet edge said:

If you use the parking brake you don't have to put it in neutral, the clutches release.

You will see this happening if you watch the rev counter. It will drop a couple of hundred rpm.

Yes the revs drop with the EHB on with the gearbox in drive as the clutches are slipping trying to dive against brake, with footbrake or autohold on the clutches are disengaged.

3 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Yes the revs drop with the EHB on with the gearbox in drive as the clutches are slipping trying to dive against brake, with footbrake or autohold on the clutches are disengaged.

Put it this way then. My neutral idling speed is 800rpm. It drops to 800rpm when the parking brake is applied. When the car is in creep more the revs are higher.

Edited by facet edge

38 minutes ago, facet edge said:

As long as it's only a few seconds it will be fine but keeping your foot on the brake means that the auto is still engaged leading to wear on the clutches.

Mine is a manual so I'm ok. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kenny R said:

No, the gearbox is aware that the EPB is on and doesn’t try to fight it, same with the foot brake or autohold. The clutch is not fully backed off as it would be in neutral though, it is close to biting point so it can quickly be engaged to make the car creep. With a wet clutch gearbox I think it is just the oil viscosity that is transferring a small amount of torque, it is probably not creating clutch wear.

I had a test drive in a Fabia DSG with manual parking brake. For some reason with that one, the DSG wasn’t aware that the handbrake was on and would strain to overcome it - causing the car to pitch up as the front wheel tried to creep away whilst the back wheels were braked.

Id have to check about the revs but I think with any of the brakes on, the revs drops to 800 unless in sport mode.

I think, I have a tip for all of you guys, who don't like the AutoHold making the restart not smooth, upon brake release:

You can modify the setting with VCDS, to get rid of this nerving sensation that brake pads are stuck. It definitely makes the car smoother.

Just have a look here ;):

This way, you can enjoy the advantages of AutoHold function, without its drawbacks. :thumbup:

On 21/10/2020 at 10:38, Bap33 said:

I think, I have a tip for all of you guys, who don't like the AutoHold making the restart not smooth, upon brake release:

You can modify the setting with VCDS, to get rid of this nerving sensation that brake pads are stuck. It definitely makes the car smoother.

Just have a look here ;):

This way, you can enjoy the advantages of AutoHold function, without its drawbacks. :thumbup:

I agree with this. I carried this small modification out and it's much much smoother now. Thanks @Bap33 :thumbup: