Sanitizing A/C exchanger inside car.

Do members think I could use a 'bomb' type sanitizer I've just seen in the Easylife catalogue?  It says it will kill 99.99 of viruses etc.

Its only £10 for a can, so cheaper than the £50 the garage quoted.  It says suitable for inside vehicles, and the fine mist gets everywhere.

Has anyone here ever done this A/C cleaning themselves?

Thank you

Stewart

Never looked at those things, but go ahead and use it if it suits your purposes. 

FWIW its easy to say "kills 99.99% of viruses" with no basis in reality.

Viruses, even this horrible coronavirus, can survive in water droplets and on surfaces and yes the primary means of transmission is usually by getting onto your mucous membranes (the wet skin inside your nose, around your eyes, in your throat, in your ears, up your urethra, etc) and into your cells where they can replicate. Either through airbourne droplets or on your fingers. But they don't survive outside the body very long. A few days perhaps. Surfaces and those water droplets dry up and the virus particles break down. Cool and damp conditions are kind to them which is one of the reasons why viruses spread more easily in winter conditions. Don't over worry it. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, used one before in my last car as there was a smell coming from the air con. Engine running, windows closed, set air con to re-circulate the air inside cabin, pop open the can and put it on footwell, get out, close the door and wait :)

Seemed to work that time, not sure if you are talking about Corona Virus though and how effective it would be for that.

• Thanks 1

If you’re looking for a sanitiser  that is specifically anti viral, then the Autoglym one is certified as being anti viral (along with their other sanitising products). 

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2020 at 07:52, ScoutCJB said:

£10 is about the normal price for the DIY cans although I see Euro do a holts one for £6.  What brand is the one in the mag?

X-Mist

6 hours ago, Gumby said:

If you’re looking for a sanitiser  that is specifically anti viral, then the Autoglym one is certified as being anti viral (along with their other sanitising products). 

Thanks Gumby.  I'll check out Halfords range.

On 15/10/2020 at 19:43, Phil-E said:

I used one on 3 of my cars now and they work well. You're best to remove the pollen filter too.

For what they cost I would just replace it after doing it - Euro have a sale on for a few more day (online)

Edited by ScoutCJB

On 15/10/2020 at 19:43, Phil-E said:

I used one on 3 of my cars now and they work well. You're best to remove the pollen filter too.

I presume Phil means REPLACE the pollen filter - very bad idea to remove the filter permanently. New filter costs as little as £8 - £15.

• Thanks 1

Oops. I should have read that before posting. I certainly don't condone permanently removing the filter. That would be a terrible idea! 🤣

I meant to remove it while doing the treatment. I think that is even stated on the cans.

• Thanks 1