OBD 11 Functions listing for 2015 Octy 1.4TSI

I now have the latest PRO version and managed to code in the RVC, however I am sure I found somewhere a list of what you can do with OBD11, but for the life of me cannot remember where that was! A recent thread here was asking for suggested mods which reminded me that I also wanted some, like Auto fold mirrors, Headlamp wash timer, F&R Sensor deactivation at lower speed. Not sure if these are available as One Click Codes or if I have to long code?

I looked on the OBD11 Forum and OBD11 and either missed them or they did not help.

Thanks Iway, I have looked at this many times, but the thread states VCDS mods and no mention of OBD11. Now I realise that coding is coding which ever method you use, however OBD11 offers one click actions for a range of mods. I have a good number of OBD11 'one click' credits at my disposal so would prefer to use them than make a mistake with my podgy fingers.

Somewhere I did see a list of one click mods but forgot where, I thought it was on OBD11 website but now cannot find it.

1 hour ago, ajw1100 said:

I have a good number of OBD11 'one click' credits at my disposal so would prefer to use them than make a mistake with my podgy fingers.

There have been several posts on here where people have used the OBD11 'one click' mods and found that not only did they not make the change desired but they also had unwanted side effects. This happens because the changes to coding/adaptation are not the same on all Octavia 3s, they can vary from year to year and model to model.

So IMHO it's always best to use the Pro version and make the changes step by step yourself rather than rely on a possibly out-of-date/incorrect 'one click' mod.

Edited by PetrolDave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply, the mods I would like to action are not listed in the thread:

Auto fold mirrors on lock/unlock, Headlamp wash timer, F&R Sensor deactivation at lower speed.

So it looks like OBD11 is my only option, it's tipping it down outside so will plug it in at the weekend and see what it can do, not by one click but by long coding.

I think I will post on the OBD11 forum and see what response I get there

13 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

So it looks like OBD11 is my only option

Almost certainly not so, that list is the mods that owners have found and shared - what it is NOT is an exhaustive list of what is possible with VCDS or OBD11.

Anything that is a case of changing coding and/or adaptation can be done with either VCDS or OBD11 (or any other full feature VAG diagnostic tool).

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Almost certainly not so, that list is the mods that owners have found and shared - what it is NOT is an exhaustive list of what is possible with VCDS or OBD11.

Anything that is a case of changing coding and/or adaptation can be done with either VCDS or OBD11 (or any other full feature VAG diagnostic tool).

HI Dave. I think you may have misinterpreted my wording.  As  I have not got any other way of changing any coding then OBD11 is my only option to do any coding. If I did have VCDS or any other full feature diagnostic tool then OBD11 would not be my only option. If you see what I mean. Even then I do not yet know what code changes I would need to make for these mods.

27 minutes ago, ajw1100 said:

HI Dave. I think you may have misinterpreted my wording.  As  I have not got any other way of changing any coding then OBD11 is my only option to do any coding. If I did have VCDS or any other full feature diagnostic tool then OBD11 would not be my only option. If you see what I mean. Even then I do not yet know what code changes I would need to make for these mods.

I strongly advise you don't use the OBD11 'one click' mods because of the number of times I've tread people on here having problems caused by them (there's a new thread today from someone).

As you say - more research required to find the exact coding/adaptation changes needed for the mods you want.

BTW it's worth checking Golf 7 forums too - since the Octavia 3 shares many electronics modules.

• Like 1

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your advise. As I am in no hurry I will research and see what I can find. What I really need is someone who has done this already on a similar 2015 Octavia Elegance. If the OBD11 coding  is only generic and not model specific then that could be  real problem . However as the app can identify the cars VIN then I would have thought it should be able to identify what codes are needed.

I will email them and see what they say as regards the codes I need to change, it cannot hurt, and I do not have to do it anyway if I am unsure of the outcome. 

46 minutes ago, ajw1100 said:

However as the app can identify the cars VIN then I would have thought it should be able to identify what codes are needed.

As I've said this assumption has been found to be incorrect by several members on here over the 4 years I've been a member so using an OBD11 app is NOT recommended - finding the required settings and then using the Pro pack to make the changes yourself is MUCH less risky, since you don't know what changes the apps make when they go wrong you cannot easily revert and may require an expensive dealer visit.

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your advise. As I am in no hurry I will research and see what I can find. What I really need is someone who has done this already on a similar 2015 Octavia Elegance. If the OBD11 coding  is only generic and not model specific then that could be  real problem . However as the app can identify the cars VIN then I would have thought it should be able to identify what codes are needed.

I will email them and see what they say as regards the codes I need to change, it cannot hurt, and I do not have to do it anyway if I am unsure of the outcome. 

Well I have a 2015 Octavia Elegance and so far I've done the Needle Sweep, Fan Speed on Auto, Cornering Fog Lights, Refuel Quantity on Maxidot and Lap Timer. All using instructions in the Sticky

Of the ones you listed above Auto fold mirrors - mine do this already, Headlamp wash timer - don't have headlight washers, F&R Sensor deactivation at lower speed - don't have front sensors so haven't bothered with this one, so I'm not much help to you :).

You can see a list of the one-click mods in the App without connecting to the Car, just go into the menu then garage then select your car then click Apps. Like others have said there have been people with un-expected issues caused from using the credits so I've never used them, I did the long coding for all mods I've done.

Hi Dave.

It doesn't work like that. I'm becoming less and less a fan of what OBD11 does the more I see posts like this. 

Coding is like playing with the Windows Registry. Some stuff seems trivially simple and some hives like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE exist for all computers. But where HP might add a specific tree "HP", it would be a little... obtuse to expect Lenovo to do the same or MSI. Just because it's a Windows 10 machine doesn't mean any changes you make are going to work and be without side-effects. You may or may not be able to see or experience those side-effects immediately. The registry may or may not be case-sensitive. You won't know until you try and even then it might not be clear without damage, like not being able to start the computer up any more. Having a backup or plan b starts to be important at that point.

Back to VCDS: reading the VIN is trivial as it's in the top level of the ECU. Connecting the VIN to a setup and / or software and firmware versions is something that I see as being well beyond both the remit and capability of the log-reading companies and comes across as naive. It's not even in the capabilities of ECP and co, whose business model depends on them selling you the right thing, and even dealer information isn't always 100%. So why should it be possible for a small outfit to know definitively?

If you don't know what you are doing, you should leave it alone. If you understand what you *want* and *why* it should work like that, then you'll also know that you should be taking care to ensure you have a record of "was" before anything changes and the changes you make. Understanding the principles of "leuchtfunktion", that side and tail and DRL lights are all seperate and each side is treated differently, that the BCM is trying to play nicely with the various electronic systems of the car, that the complexity of the systems involved is significant - the connection between headlight switch and LED is at the level of "tell the LED to turn on" being sent by bus and no longer "just" a relay or switch connecting. Like the facelift wasn't just a facelift and 2016 cars differ from 2015 ones (MIB version is a starting point), the facelift brought a whole bunch of changes - this is non-trivial information which seems irrelevant to those who are not versed in the ins and outs but may actually be quite important.

Long coding gets around some of this by allowing you to understand that you changed the value of Byte 1 from 0x0011 to 0x0111, which is the better way to do it. Then you really should have a note of what the preceding state was and what you did to "fix" it. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your constructive advice, there is a lot to take in and I am in the cautious stage of this area, I might just use the OBD11 as a last resort. I did not order a RVC with my car at the recommendation of the dealer as I had ordered Park Assist that came with front sensors for not much more than just adding front sensors, also came with headlight washers as standard I think.

There is an old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, how true, I have built my own PC and have delved into the registry on occasion, so far it's still running fine :smile:. I did build my own car, a JBA Falcon in the early 1990's but due to two disabled relations arriving (Long Story :sad:) I got very little use after becoming a carer so had to sell it. It was a lot simpler to turn a Mk5 Ford Cortina into the JBA than do anything on a modern car!

Image007 200dpi.jpg

• Like 1

I am very much a beginner with OBD 11 but I have managed to make a few changes to my 2016 VRS using the coding in the VCDS sticky. OBD 11 has a search function in the adaptations and, even though the different elements are not in the same location as on VCDS, I just searched for the words in the sticky thread and changed them once I found them. I have not had any problems with OBD 11 except, as others have suggested, when I tried to use the built in apps. For example, using the app for enabling cornering fog lights only did half the job (inner bulbs only, not outer ones) but using the adaptations listed in the sticky thread worked like a charm. 

• Like 1