Shopping bag hooks in boot

Dale_Stevens

I'm presuming the hooks in the boot of my Yeti are to secure shopping bags to stop them tipping over?  If so, they appear a bit low down for most bags, or have I missed something?

IMG_0018-1.thumb.jpeg.f0d0cb94f2f817661df4c4b9eff12f5d.jpeg

Probably missing tha fact that you have a variofloor or raised floor for a spare wheel.

That said the single hooks that I have each side are higher than that, I have to cross the handles on my shopping bags, lean them over and only hook on the furthest bag handle. - I know what I mean but no-one else will!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

If so, they appear a bit low down for most bags, or have I missed something?

IMG_0018-1.thumb.jpeg.f0d0cb94f2f817661df4c4b9eff12f5d.jpeg

Yeah, you must have a spare wheel or raised floor option, which as you’ve discovered make the hooks pretty much unusable.

I do indeed have the spare wheel. Shame the hook bar isn't height adjustable.

Or maybe I need to remove the spare wheel everytime I go shopping? :biggrin:

I'll see if the bar is removable. If it's of no use in my car then I won't need to consider them when getting a bespoke boot liner supplied, as some have cut outs for the hooks.

Edited by Dale_Stevens

No they work perfectly in the version without a spare wheel or variofloor. Just the right height for a bags handles.

15 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

I do have the cargo net, but I assumed that would attach to the floor somehow?

The cago net clips to loops on the floor which are covered by the raised floor.

The hooks are perfect height if you don't have the optional spare wheel. Also great with adjustable boot floor as they hold the adjustable floor vertical if you need to use the whole of the boot floor and perfectly placed when using half floor.

51 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

No they work perfectly in the version without a spare wheel or variofloor. Just the right height for a bags handles.

The cago net clips to loops on the floor which are covered by the raised floor.

So my hooks and cargo net are useless. Guess I prefer having a spare wheel though.

I guess it’s a risk vs reward judgement. Had my Yeti five and a half years and used the hooks extensively.  Never once had need of a spare wheel though.

1 minute ago, weasley said:

I guess it’s a risk vs reward judgement. Had my Yeti five and a half years and used the hooks extensively.  Never once had need of a spare wheel though.

Next time you do get a puncture give me a call and I'll drive past with my spare wheel whilst grinning at you. But until that day, you win :biggrin:

• Like 1

Pass one bag handle loop through the other and then around the back of the bar to which the hooks are attached once or twice if necessary and then onto the hook. Always worked fine for me :) (I also had a spare wheel in my last Yeti).

p.s. similar to what J.R. says above.

Edited by longedge
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

Next time you do get a puncture give me a call and I'll drive past with my spare wheel whilst grinning at you. But until that day, you win :biggrin:

So while you're crouched by the side of fast A road or Motorway risking life & limb I'll be safe out of the traffic waiting for the AA (or whoever) to fit a generic spare wheel and get me going all clean & tidy!

Just now, Expatman said:

So while you're crouched by the side of fast A road or Motorway risking life & limb I'll be safe out of the traffic waiting for the AA (or whoever) to fit a generic spare wheel and get me going all clean & tidy!

I'll do the same, having hidden my spare wheel in the hedgerow to retrieve after the very nice AA man has gone :biggrin:

40 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

I'll do the same, having hidden my spare wheel in the hedgerow to retrieve after the very nice AA man has gone :biggrin:

😂😂😂

Are these raised floors hinged or fold-able????

In my Octy it lifts at the rear and folds backwards. The very back piece stays in place whilst the two other pieces fold upwards together. 

It has a little slot that the rear edge sits into creating a partition wall which gives two smaller partitions, for the shopping at the very back and also a good leaning place preventing the shopping moving too much.

Two seconds to lift the floor up and drop into the slots. 

The plastic shapes that are part of the official spare wheel kit have "pockets" either side of the wheel.

The boot floor that's part of the official spare wheel kit has "hinges" to allow the floor sides to fold up to allow access to these pockets.

By opening up these flaps, the suitable depth for the bag holders is restored and harmony is reestablished.

Of course this also relies upon you not having a boot full of junk or a boot liner that stops the flaps from being raised.

4 minutes ago, Tilt said:

Are these raised floors hinged or fold-able????

In my Octy it lifts at the rear and folds backwards. The very back piece stays in place whilst the two other pieces fold upwards together. 

It has a little slot that the rear edge sits into creating a partition wall which gives two smaller partitions, for the shopping at the very back and also a good leaning place preventing the shopping moving too much.

Two seconds to lift the floor up and drop into the slots. 

You beat me to it!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, weasley said:

16 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

16 hours ago, Expatman said:

16 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

And whilst your AA man is fixing yours @Dale_Stevens , @weasley is going to sneak up and nick your spare wheel, whilst :biggrin: to himself, Lol. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Expatman said:

So while you're stuck in the wilds of Dartmoor wondering how many miles you'll have to walk and in which direction just to get a mobile signal (like wot I was) I'll be crouched at the side of the road fitting a genuine spare and away in ten minutes! :giggle:

Seriously though, I must be unlucky.  In another thread, I think you said you'd had one puncture in ten years.  Likewise Graham, who travels more miles off-road than I travel on it.  But a couple of years ago, I had three punctures in as many weeks and I would not have wanted to travel without a spare.  Looking ahead, it seems I may have no choice as fewer and fewer cars have the option of a spare.  Perhaps I just need to drag myself into the 21st Century :D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Robjon said:

So while you're stuck in the wilds of Dartmoor wondering how many miles you'll have to walk and in which direction just to get a mobile signal (like wot I was) I'll be crouched at the side of the road fitting a genuine spare and away in ten minutes! :giggle:

Seriously though, I must be unlucky.  In another thread, I think you said you'd had one puncture in ten years.  Likewise Graham, who travels more miles off-road than I travel on it.  But a couple of years ago, I had three punctures in as many weeks and I would not have wanted to travel without a spare.  Looking ahead, it seems I may have no choice as fewer and fewer cars have the option of a spare.  Perhaps I just need to drag myself into the 21st Century :D

I agree it's a gamble of trading the extra boot space with the risk of getting a puncture in an inaccessible place. I do carry a bottle of sealant gunk and a plug kit as a sort of last resort but would only use - if it was even feasible - as a real last resort. In my case the 1/3 rd extra boot space was the clincher. Plus my neighbour, a traffic police officer, continually advised me not to try changing a wheel by the side of a road. He had seen too many drivers injured and one tragically killed by passing traffic clipping/colliding with stopped cars. At 74 it just isn't worth it.

• Like 2

Won't the AA (or whoever) change your spare for you anyway? If so you have the choice of using them if (for example) you're stuck on a Motorway or DIY if you're on a nice quiet road without the need to wait.

6 hours ago, muddyjim said:

Won't the AA (or whoever) change your spare for you anyway? If so you have the choice of using them if (for example) you're stuck on a Motorway or DIY if you're on a nice quiet road without the need to wait.

True - but then you sacrifice all that boot space on the off chance you have a puncture on a nice quiet road. Sods law usually dictates its pouring with rain on a fast dual carriageway!