Alternative to keep pulling fuse

Changed the standard stream HU a while back for the Bolero, Didn't change the can bus (too much faff), Is there anything i can do apart from keep pulling the radio fuse so i don't end up with a flat battery. Like i say don't want to replace the can bus because of sourcing a correct one and cost. Already tried switching the earth wire to the radio which doesn't work...Thanks.. 

11 hours ago, Updown789 said:

Yes, change the canbus and get it coded. Why mess about with wiring, fuses etc when it's a known, documented procedure to fix the issue

Why tell the Op to do something that they have said they do not want to do and they have given their reasons. why they don't want to???

Just curious why someone would do this.

18 hours ago, MicMac said:

I am unfamiliar with your setup but why switch the earth instead of live?

Ive always switched earth in the cars ive had in the past when putting a switch in line for something,, Just that when plugging the aerial in the back of unit it uses that as an earth.

If yours is a 2005, is a really simple job to swap the canbus gateway, as it's behind the glovebox.

I got mine for £20 on ebay when I upgraded my HU. Keep searching and one will come up at a reasonable cost.

Found a compatible one on ebay for £13.95

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/03-13-AUDI-A3-8P-TT-8J-GATEWAY-INTERFACE-CONTROL-MODULE-1K0-907-530-Q-1K0907530Q/274524217896?hash=item3feaeb2228:g:ZKUAAOSwfdZffd6N

It will need recoding, but it's a 10 minute job if you find someone with VCDS locally.

• Like 1

Remember to take a copy of the coding of your old unit while it its still connected and to recode the new one the same.

It solved my current draw problem with an aftermarket head unit on a 2006 Octavia so I am confident it will do the same for you if you bought the correct revision number.

I cant recall what is the minimum revision letter to resolve the problem, Q is a lot later than F so you will probably be alright, Google will tell you, it will most likely be a Rosstech web page.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1