Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2021

Can anyone please let me know where can I upgrade my display unit for my Skoda superb 2017. I’ve bought a bigger one of eBay but don’t know where can I get it replaced?

I don’t have a head unit in the glove box, head unit is attached at back of this screen.

many thanks 

Dorin

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dorin2809 said:

I don’t have a head unit in the glove box, head unit is attached at back of this screen.

Sorry to say, I don't think there is an easy option to increase to screen size.

You're going to need a display, a headunit to fit in the glovebox, a wiring loom and possibly new trim etc...

Then it'll be coding, component protection and finally applying FEC's for the various functions :/

On 17/11/2020 at 16:18, Tell said:

It's this one which is the Seat unit in question zn1 part number as build across all new Leons, Ateca's and Cupra Atecas in the UK.

News story on VW

https://www.caradvice.com.au/774202/volkswagen-passat-mib3-detailed/

If you look at the VW Passat download as current for 2019 models it's the same file across the two units which explains this text

"Ahead of its arrival, the company’s global division has detailed the new infotainment system. Dubbed ‘MIB3’, Volkswagen’s third-generation modular infotainment interface comes as standard with both the 8.0-inch ‘Discover Media’ and 9.2-inch ‘Discover Pro’ navigation units."

So that was the 2019 model dummy run that VW had for mib3, then rolled out across VAG brands this Autumn 2020.

So they have consolidated the Media unit and the Pro into the same download... the word Premium is used for one of them now. That's also true for Seat where the base unit is on Here Maps and everything is now called a Plus. It's the 5ghz Android Auto WiFi link without coord that's on the zn2 units not sold in the UK. 

20201009_162625.jpg

Edit.

On the last para it's come to pass that Seat Wireless Android Auto is now put on the base mib3 units and its identified by the part number ending in a letter. That one above doesn't which I photographed at a dealer doesnt'. Causing a certain amount of consternation with Seat people with early 2020 models that some get Wireless Android Auto and other don't. There was a production line change. So called zn1 vanished, the base unit. Whilst atleast in Germany business cars can optionally buy with and without Wireless Android Auto, whilst the 3D buillding building of the old mib2 high are optionally priced as an addon to the zn2 build codd (what was the old mib2 high identifier). 

Not sure whether VW and Skoda have all these wrinkles in the mib3 product offer.

Present for MartiniB lifted from the German Ateca forum

2021-22 maps all Europe

Seat server:

https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EUAS/EU_AS_STD_1730.zip

VW Servers:

https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z

Musing about whether all Europe fits on the 16gb card now. Have not tried yet. Reduce your sector size if that doesn't work by the 32GB Skoda card or use a smaller region when they are published.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tell said:

Musing about whether all Europe fits on the 16gb card now. Have not tried yet. Reduce your sector size if that doesn't work by the 32GB Skoda card or use a smaller region when they are published.

V14 VW download wouldn't fit on my 16GB card using the same formatting as the V13 maps.

I'm gonna use the "Europe – Bundle 2" instead https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1730_V14.7z for now...

Should cover Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain at a guess.

3 hours ago, langers2k said:

V14 VW download wouldn't fit on my 16GB card using the same formatting as the V13 maps.

I'm gonna use the "Europe – Bundle 2" instead https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1730_V14.7z for now...

Should cover Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain at a guess.

Yep the all European one has popped the 16gb cards even if you alter the allocation unit size to 4096. Unpacked the Seat version of the all Europe one comes to 16,523,067. That day that Skoda warned about in atleast on the German Skoda website where you need a 32gb Skoda card for all of Europe has arrived. Took mine out of the envelope and put it in the partner's car. Really only if travelling opposite ends of the continent do you need this, but then it's nice to have all of Europe than both with sub files. Also nice to see my digital offerings to TomTom appearing on the maps :)

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone

I bought main unit from ebay  UK. I am in Australia.

If i put uk Map. it is working. if i reformated the sdcard from skoda and put Australia map. it said no database.

is it something that i need to use vdcs first ? i saw in vcds navigation in uk the setting. is it make it anything different ? or i have a wrong map file for Australia. I have downloaded from above https://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_1520_MRM3_202122.zip

step

1. reformat my sdcard skoda with 4k format and fat32

2. i copied the maps folder.

original file also maps folder from the main units 5Q0 035 874c

please let me know if any trick to make it work with australia map

Thank you

Edited by originato

2 hours ago, originato said:

Hello Everyone

I bought main unit from ebay  UK. I am in Australia.

If i put uk Map. it is working. if i reformated the sdcard from skoda and put Australia map. it said no database.

is it something that i need to use vdcs first ? i saw in vcds navigation in uk the setting. is it make it anything different ? or i have a wrong map file for Australia. I have downloaded from above https://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_1520_MRM3_202122.zip

step

1. reformat my sdcard skoda with 4k format and fat32

2. i copied the maps folder.

original file also maps folder from the main units 5Q0 035 874c

please let me know if any trick to make it work with australia map

Thank you

There is a trick you can do with the source rest of the world map file to make it look like a European map. Just requires a minor edit. It was first published by the T6forum for people who wanted to take their vehicles to Morroco. Brits emigrating to Australia with their UK vehicles also did it in Oz it works. I published it on the Seat UK forum having tried it myself. We have had a bit of T6forum / SeatCupra member board working to develop it further. New Golfs are more stringent so you need to edit a few more bits of the file. Now we have US Golfs brought to France where it works, French mib2s exported to Palestine working with Israel maps. It as a Palestinian that cracked the more advance edit on the Golf, I seeded that to the person with the US Golf in France and that worked... quite a party.  

You can follow this text if Briskoda allows T6forumn links. Also hunt down the Seat Cupra link 😉.

Got a car with a working installed map but outside of the region - need to get local map working ? (Mib2 Standard only)

Example taking a car to Morocco. Exporting a US VW to France. Exporting a European car to Palestine. Emigrated with your mib2 car from Europe to NZ.

The T6forum perfected some of this but joint working across the boards got it going for more modern units. Guy in Palestine sorted that out for latest VWs which were the problem.

Arona standard Mib2 is happy with the original T6forum method with the workaround above.

Advanced method with example with Israel as the map (text taken from a VW user). This is taken from the Seat Cupra board where I wrote it. The steps are the advanced ones for newer mib2. 1-6 were the original steps the example is Morocco. On the the t6forum is the Australian / NZ country code in place of 27 (We hope else you delve into the file looking, how I found the Israel one for the export cars to there... The Palestinians like them apparently). 00 is Europe your unit, so your country takes on that identity and the unit is none the wiser. Step 7 is used if mapcare is in use, Seats. Step 8 and 9 for newer mib2s. Step 10 in the car. Suspect you might get away with 1-6 and 10, if not do all steps.

Suggest you try Morocco first then branch out to home (country code 27 in the download). I've had Morrocco and Israel on an Arona in the UK whilst helping others to perfect the method. I did cover somewhere how to drop your finger on the country code without experiment but it's not springing to mind at the minute. Afraid you will have to work that one out by trial and error.

Always reboot the unit long press after changing the SD card, obviously keep a copy of the original files and it only works with a Vag card unless the unit has been modded due to it reading the CID.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/how...-in-non-eu-countries-e-g-morocco.10331/page-2

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

3. Erase everything on the card, (Before making a backup of what's on it).

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

Basically 7. is the Exciter workaround

8 and 9 are the two additional steps that some VAG heads required to make it work on out of zone maps. Was fine for the Arona, step 1- 7 was sufficient and only presenting the target country in 00 directory not editing and leaving the rest as is. Suspect the wifi standard heads of Seat would need steps 8 and 9.

Had maps of Morocco and Israel on a European Arona unit.

The method with steps 8 and 9 was used on the VW car brought to France from North America and the car that was exported to Palestine from Europe. For the US car the country code is 01 so 00 content is renamed to 01.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

Hello Tell

Good morning

Thank you for the great trick. it is working now by only rename from 22 to 00. step 1 and 7. i have skipped 8 and 9.

Thank you again 

Have a great weekend

stay safe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, originato said:

Hello Tell

Good morning

Thank you for the great trick. it is working now by only rename from 22 to 00. step 1 and 7. i have skipped 8 and 9.

Thank you again 

Have a great weekend

stay safe

Good, good, good... I'll stop worrying about how you will find 22 🤣. Reckon 8 and 9 are for the units with WiFi, the latter ones in the history of the mib2 standard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, originato said:

there are newer files

On 24/05/2021 at 22:02, MartiniB said:

# ROW 3 2022  4.9 GB

VW portal:        https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1710_V14.7z
 Škoda portal:    - -
 Seat portal:       https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/MRM3/MRM3_STD_1710.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

there are newer files

I thought there were but the target was to get it working via the workaround. Massaging the country code to make it look like Europe. Other than that more surgical work on the firmware. That would be hitting it with a crow bar rather a light tap. 😉

Anyhow those frigs are what people do on import units and import cars out of region. All free, no retrofitter required. 

I love your links BTW.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have tried ROW1. Both on FAT32 and NTFS. My Amundsen MIB2 doesn't recognize it.

I have downloaded a map pack for another area from Skoda Map Update portal and worked fine on FAT32 on the same SD Card.

I have made sure the files are good and not corrupted by running the md5 checksum.

Any suggestions ?

I'm Palestinian and thought Israel in ROW1 would cover my geographical area "West Bank".

15 minutes ago, rayanspawn1 said:

I have tried ROW1. Both on FAT32 and NTFS. My Amundsen MIB2 doesn't recognize it.

I have downloaded a map pack for another area from Skoda Map Update portal and worked fine on FAT32 on the same SD Card.

I have made sure the files are good and not corrupted by running the md5 checksum.

Any suggestions ?

I'm Palestinian and thought Israel in ROW1 would cover my geographical area "West Bank".

It has to be Fat32. Reports now of cards not taking too kindly to being reformatted... they stop working. 4096 has to be the cluster size. I'm not too sure whether the recent mess ups reported on Seat board is due to the default on Windows 11 format that ismy 4096. NTFS is known not to work on mid2 standards. It is Row 1.

A map pack for another area won't work unless you mod it. Is the car an original one for the region or imported ?. If it's imported with a European card there are tricks:

Got a car with a working installed map but outside of the region - need to get local map working ? (Mib2 Standard only)

Example taking a car to Morocco. Exporting a US VW to France. Exporting a European car to Palestine. Emigrated with your mib2 car from Europe to Australia.

The T6forum perfected some of this but joint working across the boards got it going for more modern units. Guy in Palestine sorted that out for latest VWs which were the problem.

Arona standard Mib2 is happy with the original T6forum method with the workaround above.

Advanced method with example with Israel as the map (text taken from a VW user):

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/how...-in-non-eu-countries-e-g-morocco.10331/page-2

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

8 and 9 are the two additional steps that some VAG heads required to make it work on out of zone maps. Was fine for the Arona, step 1- 7 was sufficient and only presenting the target country in 00 directory not editing and leaving the rest as is. Suspect the wifi standard heads of Seat would need steps 8 and 9.

The method with steps 8 and 9 was used on the VW car brought to France from North America and the car that was exported to Palestine from Europe. For the US car the country code is 01 so 00 content is renamed to 01.

----

Those instructions can also be used on UK cars exported to OZ, USA ones to Europe.

----

if you have messed the card up with a dubious reformat you'll have to obtain another original Vag card from an eseller. Frankly bad guidance is given on reformatting these cards. You should never. Just delete what is on them.

Edited by Tell
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tell said:

It has to be Fat32. Reports now of cards not taking too kindly to being reformatted... they stop working. 4096 has to be the cluster size. I'm not too sure whether the recent mess ups reported on Seat board is due to the default on Windows 11 format that ismy 4096. NTFS is known not to work on mid2 standards. It is Row 1.

A map pack for another area won't work unless you mod it. Is the car an original one for the region or imported ?. If it's imported with a European card there are tricks:

Example taking a car to Morocco. Exporting a US VW to France. Exporting a European car to Palestine. Emigrated with your mib2 car from Europe to Australia.

Advanced method with example with Israel as the map (text taken from a VW user):

----

Those instructions can also be used on UK cars exported to OZ, USA ones to Europe.

----

if you have messed the card up with a dubious reformat you'll have to obtain another original Vag card from an eseller. Frankly bad guidance is given on reformatting these cards. You should never. Just delete what is on them.

WOW! I don't know If I going to be able to do this correctly!

I have formatted the card many times, and when I copied a European Map pack, it worked fine!

9 minutes ago, rayanspawn1 said:

WOW! I don't know If I going to be able to do this correctly!

I have formatted the card many times, and when I copied a European Map pack, it worked fine!

From what you say it is a European car imported in with a European map that worked. Check it still works with one of the smaller zones that fit the 16gb card.

Having checked the card is fine then do the steps 1-7, you might not need to go beyond step 7. The method has been used by quite a few of your country folk on import cars... Well two I know 😂

• Kiss 1