Users & Key Assignment, Personalisation

Hello, long time lurker first time poster (thanks to all who helped, unwittingly, in my decision to buy a Superb!).

Last week I picked up a new Superb SE L. I'm loving the car, it's a classy ride and exactly what I hoped for. One of the features we really needed in our new car was personalisation, preferably linked to specific keys: my wife using her key would get her seat position, mirrors, AC etc set her way, and mine with my key.

At best though, it seems very flaky, or I'm getting something wrong - often it would "welcome" the wrong user to the car despite the correct key being used. The manual doesn't really help - it mentions turning off "automatic key assignment" in the relevant sub-menu, which I've done, and assigning keys manually - but I can't see how to do this anywhere. It seems with MB3 there have been changes in the menus, maybe? and not properly reflected in the manual? It's very first world problem I know, but would be super grateful if anyone has any ideas!

18 hours ago, Funkstain said:

it mentions turning off "automatic key assignment" in the relevant sub-menu, which I've done, and assigning keys manually - but I can't see how to do this anywhere.

On mine (2018 SE Tech), I select the "car" menu then "personalisation" then after checking sure you're set as the appropriate driver, scroll down to the bottom of that screen and select the menu item to assign to key.  They unit will then tell you to press the unlock button on the key fob.

But I notice yours is a newer version so could be different.

Thanks DB - yeah, I've seen in other threads on this topic, and online research, that's how it used to work. I don't seem to have that option anywhere. There's a "users" option on the main infotainment menu, with no sub menu or option to manually assign a key that I can find; in the "car" menu I can't find anything to do with personalisation or keys at all!

Hi,

I’m being treated to the very same experience with my MY21 Kodiaq, having bought the 3-key personalisation option.

I think the problem for me is that the car is fitted with the new MIB3 Columbus Infotainment system, which has a different set of menus to the previous system, where some of the personalisation options are no longer available.

So far, all of my research has resulted only in finding guides/walthroughs for the system which I don’t have.  I’m sure this may change when the newer system is more widespread.

For reference and information to other users who may be reading this, each user will need a Skoda Connect profile (easier to create on a PC) in order to be able to login to the vehicle, having unlocked the vehicle with the key that the profile ought to be associated with.  Since the new head unit is permanently ‘connected’, it then goes off to download the profile previously created.  Then, in future, the profile should be recalled by the car with the same key is next used.

Remember, press the unlock button on the relevant fob to open (and maybe lock) the car...don’t just have the key in your pocket an open the door.

Our car does indeed recall the right person each time with consistency, but no other settings seem to be saving to the profile.

On this note, I’m not entirely sure what it’s capable of personalising !  Can anyone clarify this with confidence?  For example, we were hoping for all media sources/radio station settings to be remembered for each profile (my wife and I like to listen to very different material whilst driving), but no success with that at all so far. Mirror position?  A/C settings?

There are also all sorts of problems with the system forcing all users to try to become Primary users and so forth.  This is another thing I’m hoping for help with.  At the moment, unless you are the Primary user, you can’t use the Skoda Connect app to connect to the vehicle as you’re supposed to be able to.

I’ve taken this up with my local Skoda dealer, where no-one there knows anything about the new system either.  In truth, they didn’t even know it would come with the new system either.  If anyone here can help, please do fire away.

Wow. Not sure how different the personalisation / users stuff is on Kodiaqs but you're certainly having a different experience from ours!

First, thanks for replying, useful stuff. Second, to answer your question: the User-based personalisation we've set up on the Superb covers, at least (from what I've played with so far):

- Seat position

- Wing mirror adjustment

- Media playback (last source playing (including no source) starts again when user logs in)

- Climate control

- Various minor things (settings like wing mirror adjustment synch, light brightness etc)

It does NOT seem to remember drive mode setting. Could be a sportline / L&K feature maybe.

Third, to continue shouting into the void with my experience...Have online-chatted with two Skoda reps now. Very friendly and patient but clearly just looking at manuals like I am. First guys said "just deselect the Assign vehicle key automatically" option, which, yeah tried that mate. Second guy got really into it, but eventually gave up with "sorry your car actually doesn't come with this user --> key link, that's Kodiaqs and Karoqs only". I'd like to believe him (to stop me spending my actual finite life on this first world problem), but what does that setting do? (I attach a pic for those interested (?)). Also previous model years right up to MY21 DO include user -> key linking with memory functions - would this really have been taken away from the SE L model with the updated MIB3?

The manual is very confusing. On the "key" section it talks about memory function but that this doesn't apply to cars with personalisation feature which ours has. So you go to "Users" section and it describes menu items which don't appear, sigh.

Anyway bit stuck now. Thinking about taking it to a dealer so they can play with it for a bit, maybe they've figured it out.

IMG_2118.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case this is ever helpful to someone else searching t'internet for this weird issue, a progress report...

So manual key assignment simply isn't a thing with MY21 Superbs, it seems. I've spoken / online chatted to 4 different Skoda reps and have literally had 4 different answers about this.

What I've been able to achieve is, by selecting "automatically" in the menu above, assign the main key to one of the users. We've had loads of connectivity issues with the esim, which ruins the user experience: if you climb in and want to change to your settings, you try and switch user after ignition (already a bit cramped...), and it just sits there trying to "synchronise" and then says "feature not available", meaning you're stuck with all the settings of the other user. Clearly you don't want to ruin their setup, so this is, well, crap.

Instead we deactivated the esim and have basically disconnected the car as much as possible from the internet - this works at least to change users more effectively. Haven't been able to assign any other keys other than the master key, god knows what I'm doing wrong.

Another issue with connectivity has been reported in a different thread: when you connect via CarPlay or android auto, it can sometimes show that your phone is connected to wifi (which it is: the wireless connection for CarPlay/AA), but of course that's a closed local connection so there's no internet. Forget routing, satnav, anything else to do with internet via your phone...only solution is to force disconnect and try again (50/50...) or wait 5 mins for the phone to say "hang on looks like this connection isn't internet connected! want to go cellular?" and say "obviously you ****").

TL;DR: Skoda, VAG and the rest of them still, after all this time, have no idea how to engineer software that is user friendly and useful and reliable. first world problems I know but it sort of ruins the experience when the car says "hello (not you) user!", forces you to squeeze in, then doesn't let you alter the settings to yours because "computer says no", and then even CarPlay doesn't work.

Other than that, the car is truly lovely! A pleasure to drive, and the travel assist function is uber relaxing.

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening Funkstain,

Reading your notes I really feel I am in exactly the same situation. However, I have decided to be possibly more persistent. 

Would you kindly let me know if you also experience other flaws:

- Screen settings/Turn on screen saver - when ticked turns screen off indeed.... until I turn ignition off. When started again setting goes away

- Instrument cluster settings/Eco tips ticked/not ticked - no changes to screens appearing on Maxidot display; simply this section is missing

I have started conversation with the customer services but this seems to be fruitless as I have received links to the manual and sections in it, telling me how to use features not visible/not working. With this in mind I have requested contact from someone more knowledgeable than so called "advisor" reading answers from the screen only. If this doesn't work I am planning to offer the dealer to have the car back. Despite features being very minor I would expect every single penny I spent to be matched with the goods or service I paid for. Otherwise supplier is not fulfilling the agreement. 

• Like 1

I got my 2020 Superb iV today. It'll be our sole car come spring time and having the ability to assign user profiles to the key was a big plus for me. Unfortunately I am having the same issues as @Funkstain with my menus having no such options. I'm left using the memory buttons on the seat and userprofiles on the start up screen.

@greg_aniol I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Skoda customer services if you wouldn't mind updating this thread please. 

Having the exact same issues with my 2020 Superb iv. Very annoying. Everyone says the settings are under ‘Vehicle’ but they simply are not. Whats the point in having Kessy if it can’t be personalized?

Another annoying yet minor issue is the welcome message that comes up each time i start driving, i have to tap ok to get rid of it, very distracting while driving. Any idea how to turn it off? I don’t need my car to Welcome me 5 times a day!

Hi techsearchuk,

I have got mine set the way I wanted it. Using online user profiles for my better half and myself. Programmed keys; each time she gets in lighting/mirrors/seat adjust as required, same works for me. I am waiting for the service to look into missing screen with eco section. I believe hope that future updates may clear off some other less important glitches. In my modest opinion software is begging for proper finishing off. Plus - I would expect complete information about functions available in the car rather than spending myself long hours trying to figure out what works what not. I know this is £30k not £60k car, but it doesn't matter. Offered features should simply work.

What annoys me the most is the fact that I have spoken to 2 advisors receiving 2 different responses. I have received link to updated manual (different from the one supplied with the car). Descriptions are minimal (at the best) but all working now. What bothers me is the fact that the dealers know very little about cars, advisors read only what they can see on the screen and very own Skoda websites provide wrong or incomplete information.

I hope you have figured out settings in yours. If you wish, feel free to ask any questions, happy too help (if I can).

Regards

2 minutes ago, greg_aniol said:

Hi techsearchuk,

I have got mine set the way I wanted it. Using online user profiles for my better half and myself. Programmed keys; each time she gets in lighting/mirrors/seat adjust as required, same works for me. I am waiting for the service to look into missing screen with eco section. I believe hope that future updates may clear off some other less important glitches. In my modest opinion software is begging for proper finishing off. Plus - I would expect complete information about functions available in the car rather than spending myself long hours trying to figure out what works what not. I know this is £30k not £60k car, but it doesn't matter. Offered features should simply work.

What annoys me the most is the fact that I have spoken to 2 advisors receiving 2 different responses. I have received link to updated manual (different from the one supplied with the car). Descriptions are minimal (at the best) but all working now. What bothers me is the fact that the dealers know very little about cars, advisors read only what they can see on the screen and very own Skoda websites provide wrong or incomplete information.

I hope you have figured out settings in yours. If you wish, feel free to ask any questions, happy too help (if I can).

Regards

Thats great. Did you work it out with the correct manual? Is it possible to share the link?

Hi DaveSuperb

Manual will disappoint you https://t.co/3c8FziEOO5. P

Procedure is very simple. Set yourself online account in the first place. Log as main user in your car. To program/personalise keys you need only one in the car or anywhere near. Get in, adjust illuminations, seat, mirrors. Save seat position with seat buttons. Get out of the car lock it with the remote. Unlock, get in, put ignition on, out again, lock. job done. Next return to the car with another key; log in another user, start procedure as per above. 

• Thanks 1

@greg_aniolgald to managed to get yours working. Like you, regardless of the cars price, if something should work I want it to work!

I'm still struggling with programming the keys. I've set up two seperate user accounts online and added them as user profiles on the car. I have two keys linked to the car but neither seem to be linked to a profile/user. The way you've managed to set yours up, are the users linked to the key or do you need to select the user from the display in order to activate their profile. I have to do the latter but desperately trying to link the settings with the key. 

I might try a factory reset on the seeings and see if by fluke I manage to get it working! 

5 minutes ago, greg_aniol said:

Hi DaveSuperb

Procedure is very simple. Set yourself online account in the first place. Log as main user in your car. To program/personalise keys you need only one in the car or anywhere near. Get in, adjust illuminations, seat, mirrors. Save seat position with seat buttons. Get out of the car lock it with the remote. Unlock, get in, put ignition on, out again, lock. job done. Next return to the car with another key; log in another user, start procedure as per above. 

I think that answers my above question so will give that a go! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greg_aniol said:

Hi DaveSuperb

The above instructions worked a treat thank you. Each key now seems to remember the seat settings (I haven't tried other settings yet)... it would be nice if the seat moved before you sat on at as I have to squeeze in if my wife's been using it but I'm content with sitting in it and then the seat moving. 

22 minutes ago, techsearchuk said:

It would be nice if the seat moved before you sat on at as I have to squeeze in if my wife's been using it but I'm content with sitting in it and then the seat moving. 

I believe there's a 'comfort' setting that would do as you want but may need VCDS etc.

• 3 months later...

Thanks!! That's finally solve the problem on my wife's car. Also the dealer wasn't able to link a user to a key. With mib 3 the personalisation option has been removed, and this procedure is not well documented. 

Answered too fast...:blush:. After a few days, the car has started to not recognize the key anymore, and selecting a users randomly between the 2 registered.

4 minutes ago, edika said:

Answered too fast...:blush:. After a few days, the car has started to not recognize the key anymore, and selecting a users randomly between the 2 registered.

Yes, this seems to be the problem or myself as well.