Oil sump plastic or steel

On my 2016 EA888 2.0 petrol engine, the sump was plastic. I actually got this replaced with a steel one due to anxieties about splitting one open on the massive speed humps round where I live.

Would be interesting to investigate the MOT observations more closely / get a photo for clarity of what they're on about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, match14 said:

Recently had an mot and was told there was signs of corrosion but I thought Octavia mk3 had plastic sump.

I think some of the vRS petrol models may have a plastic sump, but mine is a 1.4 and it has a steel sump. It looks fairly straightforward to take off if it had to be replaced. I wonder if yours has been scraped they only seem to have a thin spray of black paint on them. You might be able to clean yours up and put some paint on to preserve it.

It says something for the oiltightness of VAG engines that there could be concerns of rust on a sump pan.

Who would have believed that in the 60's, 70's or 80's!!

• Haha 2