What type of odb port

Hello, I've a 2007 octavia 1.8tsi however my recently purchased odb2 code reader, ancel vd-500 does'nt look like it will fit. Could my car have an obd1 port, it's a kind of rectangular lilac coloured socket and a different shape to the plug on my code reader..

3 hours ago, Gazman said:

Will give it a try in the morning when it's light and see..

it may be very tight to fit your adapter into the  the hole in the panel to reach the port. 

the Bluetooth dongle i got is slightly too wide for the access panel and i had to break off part of the edging around the obd2 port, and it still  needs a hard shove to get it in.

Yes. As above responses. The port is std obd2 type port afaik. But the recess in the car is surrounded by plastic trim in close proximity around the perimeter  and it is a very tight fit for most generic readers. May need to trim the reader... 

I have 2 code readers a wireless car Dr one which I bought for an old yaris, and  this ancel one I just bought, both heads looked the same but the car dr one did not fit so assumed the ancel would not fit either, but it went straight in easily this am. Wot a knob I am.

This showed the following error codes;

12600 - imrc control difference

01287 - idle control, idle variance

00369 - fuel trim bank 1- system to lean.

I always run the car on 97/99 octane fuel and wandered could this be the issue. .

Thx Garry

• Like 1

Just changed the pcv valve in the hope of fixing the above, however the car still idle's quite roughly and show error code 12600 still. Also when I remove the oil filter cap it gets worse, any ideas what I can do next ??

disconnect the maf

if its failing disconnecting it will settle the idle as the ecu reverts to a default value.

if the idle stays the same the fault is elsewhere.

i would expect opening the filler cap is going to make it worse as the engine sucks in air which it doesnt want or need.

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

disconnect the maf

if its failing disconnecting it will settle the idle as the ecu reverts to a default value.

if the idle stays the same the fault is elsewhere.

i would expect opening the filler cap is going to make it worse as the engine sucks in air which it doesnt want or need.

Do you mean the plug from the sensor with the engine running ?..

Apologies if this may seem a stupid question but the last time I played about with engines was on my 1983 1.2 corsa...

well disconnect the plug from the maf, then start the engine and  compare how it runs with it plugged in. if the maf is going the signal to the ecu will be causing intermittent over/under fuelling as the air flow wont match what the engine thinks it has, which then can cause a rough/erratic idle hunting around all unsettled.

its a free and easy test and if nothing else rules out something syraight forward.

if it does improve then you need a new maf - get a genuine one not a pattern cheapy as they never work properly for very long.

31 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

well disconnect the plug from the maf, then start the engine and  compare how it runs with it plugged in. if the maf is going the signal to the ecu will be causing intermittent over/under fuelling as the air flow wont match what the engine thinks it has, which then can cause a rough/erratic idle hunting around all unsettled.

its a free and easy test and if nothing else rules out something syraight forward.

if it does improve then you need a new maf - get a genuine one not a pattern cheapy as they never work properly for very long.

Thanks for this and will try in the am, primarily occurs when the engine is cold and then slightly miss fires, when warm it seems ok but never maintains a consistent idle speed so this is a good point to check.. 

2 hours ago, mac11irl said:

🤞

Hiya, seems fine this am although I had a very small misfire. I disconnected the maf and all that happened was the fan came on after a couple of seconds, anyhows I applied a tiny amount of die electric grease to the contacts and re-fitted and will take it out for a run and see how things go. Thanks for your time on this. 

Considering I've had this for 9 years and always used mobile1 esp at oil changes it's been a smashing car.

Thx

Garry