Skoda Scala SEL White & Black

Steve8O

This is my Skoda Scala SEL.  I absolutely love it, such a fantastic hatch.  

Project_A.png shows the Skoda gallery pics of how it left the factory.  I opted for the exterior design pack consisting of full panoramic glass roof, extended tailgate glass, full dynamic LED headlights & fog lights. Additionally I also went for the 18" Vega wheels.  

Project_B.png shows the mods I am going to make, and have started on.

To date I have swapped the front badge for the Monte Carlo black F9R 90mm badge from superskoda. The rear  'Scala' badge has been removed, and I have replaced the chrome 'SKODA' with the black Skoda badge again in Monte Carlo black.

Added the genuine mud-flaps too, which was a really great addition as they are very inconspicuous but really help protect the metallic paintwork.

I already have the Monte Carlo black magic grille frame to go on at some point soon too.

I also ordered the Eibach pro-kit springs to drop the ride by 30mm.

And I have just got a quote back from my local Bodyshop to refurb/paint the wheels in gloss black, the brake callipers in Rosso red to match the tail lights, and the rear bumper diffuser in black gloss too instead of the textured dark grey that it is now.  So I am thinking that I might wait until the spring and then get the alloys, brakes, diffuser and the Springs done all at the same time.

Like the idea of adding a black gloss tailgate loading protection strip too, to help connect the black from the glass down to the diffuser, shall see about that one.

Shall keep you posted on how this little project goes.

Cheers

20201013_133800.jpg

Project_A.png

Project_B.png

• Like 4

They are very nice alloys and you are right they do suit the body colour.  I go back and forth - a lot.  I almost went for the Vega Aero that come standard with the Monte Carlo Trim, but I am so glad that I didn't as the Monte Carlo has become very popular across Europe on social media and therefore instead of looking impressive they look a bit 'common'.

Maybe I should wait until its lowered first before deciding on the alloys.  The silver looks great, but I also think due to the angles in the spokes a good gloss black could really pop and make it look quite individual. Choices choices.

I agree, think it looks like a slightly stretched out A3, which is funny really as it shares the same base as the A1 and a Polo.  You really do get a whole lot more for your money with the Scala.  

I went for the 1.0 115PS TSI with 6G Manual.  My decision was primarily made based on early reviews on youtube from carwow and the such like stating that you didn't get much more punch for the extra buck with the 1.5 TSI.  Pleased I listened to the advice as the 1.0 TSI is a fantastic little engine, it revs well, pulls well, drives well, and is efficient.  Most of the time I am driving the family around town, wife to work, eldest to school and youngest to nursery etc, so no more than an 8 mile loop and I still get 42mpg.  On the couple of occasions this year where we have been allowed to travel and see people, I have taken it on a long journey down to Somerset, and an even further journey to Durham (I am in Leighton Buzzard, Beds) and on those drives I got 58 and 54mpg respectively.  Thats with the whole family in the car and luggage too.  Very responsive, fun and efficient engine with a smooth gearbox to sum it up really.

Previous car was a 1.6 (Petrol) 125PS Ford Focus MK3.5 and honestly the Scala blows the Focus away!  Key comparison is weight to performance, Focus always felt heavy like it was dragging its butt, and you really had to get it to 3.5k revs to get it to move and even then it was sluggish.  It was also noticeable when having a full tank compared to a quarter tank, I never liked to fill it over half as it just felt too heavy.  And if you had the family in it you wouldn't get up a hill in 3rd!  The Scala, admittedly a newer car and newer engine tech, is just leaps and bounds better.  It is light yet feels stuck to the road, it doesn't roll or dip and dive with weight,  a quarter tank or full tank, just me or fully laden, it feels and responds no differently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Absolutely 

Unfortunately I have ran out of attachment space, so I need to look into how I can manage my attachments on the forum, however for now you can see some pics here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R5PDKdsYFHH3KUMg8

Mod List:

Eibach ProKit lowering springs 30mm front and rear.

Eibach Spacers 15mm front and 20mm rear, with black gloss extended wheel bolts.

Stage1 Racingline OEM+ remap

Racingline cold air intake

Alloys painted in gloss black

Callipers painted in Rosso Red with Skoda Decal at front

Black magic front grille frame

Black magic front badge

Black skoda lettering on rear window

De-badged - Scala

Genuine skoda mud flaps added front and rear

Genuine skoda scala alu door sills 

Autobeam LED 5500k white fog lights

Audio upgrade;

AudioControl LC7i

MTX-TR450 4Ch Amp

MTX-TR65s Component speakers front and rear

MTX-RTP12 Active subwoofer on Vibe fast plug.

Still to come;

Longlife Cat-back exhaust 

Maxton Design front Splitter and Side diffusers, however I don't care for the rear valance from the kit so am waiting to see if maybe Rieger or TCS do a full rear diffuser as the ones for the new Octavia look great.

How you getting on with your new Scala?

• Like 1

Awesome Mate. looks very nice lowered with black wheels.

You could use https://imgur.com/

I have been looking at the black grill (prob get it from the dealer or just wrap it) and front lip + diffuser but atm its costing to much to get it here in AUS.

Thank you, I am really pleased with it.

The black grill is the one thing that makes the most difference, it is a great improvement, especially when it is the only piece of chrome on the vehicle in the first place.  Saying that it is such a hard change to do, I tried to do it myself but the full front bumper has to come off and disconnect all the sensors etc.

I was unlucky and hit a Doh Dear 6 months after purchase,  the Scala had to go into the bodyshop for a new bonnet, bumper and headlight, so when it went in I asked them to change the grille frame for me at the same time as they would be putting it into the new bumper, and the nice guys at Berkhamsted Bodyshop did it no questions and no fee.  So a small win out of a bad situation, silver linings and all that.  Otherwise you are looking at 2 hours labour at whatever rate your bodyshop charge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

New Update,

Longlife Cat-Back exhaust, Maxton Design Front Splitter V1, Side Skirts with custom mounting into front mud guards, rear bumper trim painted in Piano gloss black to get rid of that cheap textured plastic look.

For more images see My Instagram

• Like 3

Cheers @WolfyWestythat means a lot as your Rapid is a fine example. 

Also forgot to add to the mod list that I used number1plates to get short 7 letter plates.  They basically trim the 2.5cm of space at both sides of the plate, keeping the digits and spacing the same.  It's a small mod but is actually really pleasing.  I'm not into fancy plates, 3D, 4D or personal, don't have anything against them, just don't float my boat, so these simple short plates are great, plus was able to put my insta @ at the bottom of the plate which is a nice personal touch rather than advertising the dealer that registered the car.

• 1 month later...

@Steve80 Your Scala looks fantastic man, I've got a Scala in Quartz Grey - I am looking to have my wheels painted, roof wrapped (black), lower vehicle 30mm and replace chrome grill trim with black like yours.

You've given me a good idea of what mine will look like kitted out.

Please keep updating with any future mods you do.

Thanks @OGKhyamB, the Quartz Grey is a nice colour.  You will have to put some pics up of the mods when you get them done.

A couple of new pics

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have added a sunstrip with VAG Society UK sticker.  I kept it quite narrow, as I didn't want it to get in the way of rain sensor behind rear view mirror.  

Also added a white pinstripe to the Maxton Splitter and Side Skirts.  Bought 6mm by 10meters off amazon for £4, as Maxton were charging £8 for 6mm x 2metres. 

Once the pinstripe was added I took the plunge and bought the Maxton Design rear side splitters - this was a huge gamble as on the website they are pictured with the stock textured grey bumper trim and they look really 'stuck on' rubbish.  So I bought them with the hope they would go better with the custom gloss black bumper trim and if not would have returned them.  I am quite pleased with how they look now with the pinstripe added.  They definitely compliment the lines of the whole lip kit especially from side view of the car.  The rear maybe feels like its missing something in the middle, but I really don't like the Maxton Valance and I am yet to find anything else that gains my interest even slightly.

Next up for me is a rear wiper delete.  Going to get the Racingline insert and do that at some point soon.  Love the extended black glass tailgate, and removing the wiper will really clean it up.

Other than that the only thing I have on my radar is to upgrade to EBC discs and pads, but at only 11k miles on the clock, I won't be doing that for a while.

Anyway, enjoy the pics and happy modifying.

• Like 2

@Steve80 mate were there any issues as far as lowering - any sensors etc need to be adjusted/recalibrated etc.

Also, have you got spacers installed on your wheels, or are they standard fit?

cheers.

No issues at all.

Yes I added spacers at same time as springs.  Eibach black spacers, 20mm each side at the back and 15mm each side at the front and fitment is spot on.

I had wheel alignment done at the same time just to be safe and protect the life of my tyres, but nothing needed to be recalibrated.

The -30mm Eibach pro-kit is near perfect in my opinion, its a good height with the 18s, it rides and corners well but remains comfortable for daily driving.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

spacer.png

Update

Swapped out the Eibach lowering springs for full coilovers.

Went with Bilstein Evo S (https://performance.bilstein.com/en/new-audi-a1-coilover-suspension-the-bilstein-evo-s/)  just for the reliability of the brand.  There are other options out there, Eibach, ST, KW, BC Racing, all at a very similar price point.  The EVO S drops the car by 45mm all around which is a really nice fitment and guarantees driving within the threshold of the Bilstein dampers and springs.  So it gives a really good solid, stiff cornering yet comfortable ride (as long as you avoid holes and take it steady over bumps naturally)

When fitting coilovers at TotalVAG noticed the front tyres had uneven wear from turning right.  So it needed new alignment, and the guys at TotalVAG also suggested getting the lane assist calibrated to make sure it is scanning the right driving path of the car at the new ride height.  First tried Skoda for ADAS (Automatic Driving Assistance Systems) and wheel alignment,  Skoda Bedford and Aylesbury didn't have the ADAS mechanics to address this on a stock car, let alone a modified one,  Skoda MK did have it but it was out of service currently waiting for a replacement part however, they put me in touch with Tyres Northampton.  A proper tyre performance center, great place and super helpful.   They got my alignment sorted out and recalibrated the lane assist in just over an hour.  Was good of the TotalVAG guys to mention this as the lane assist did need correcting on 2 axis.  And I now drive with it on permanently as it works exactly as you would like it too, with only a light tug.  Better than it ever was from stock in my opinion.

Other updates

Maxton Design rear spoiler lip added

Eibach 20mm spacers moved from rear to front, and new Eibach 22mm spacers added to rear.  This is due to lowering further added slightly more camber and I wanted flush fitment rather than tucked.

Glowkit underglow added with custom dash switch added under AC panel so its hidden from view.  Reason for adding the switch is that they are fully bluetooth and I don't like the idea of them being on without my knowledge.  They are super silly I admit, but they do make for good looking winter photos, so they were added purely for shows and the gram.

To come

EBC turbo grooved discs with greenstuff pads are in the post thanks to black friday 15% off.

Holding out for Maxton Design to announce sale on Friday to get the rear diffuser valance.

Will update as and when 👋

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Any pics of the rear spoiler ?

get my 1.5 Monte Carlo soon and will get this straight away - plus some eibachs and spacers.

I’ve also contacted revo to see if they will develop some software for the 1.5.

21 hours ago, Simcity47 said:

Any pics of the rear spoiler ?

get my 1.5 Monte Carlo soon and will get this straight away - plus some eibachs and spacers.

I’ve also contacted revo to see if they will develop some software for the 1.5.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a couple showing the spoiler.  Nice bit of kit, and dead easy to install.

EBC turbo grooved discs with greenstuff pads are on, they look and perform great.

Also got the Maxton read valance but not a fan of it as it doesn't fit as flush as the other items from them and it just looks too 'stuck on' in my opinion.  The rear lower bumper was only £60 direct from Skoda, in a primed state ready for painting, so I bought a new one and some ABS plastic to make a custom one.