Skoda Scala SEL White & Black

Steve8O

There are some 1.5s in Europe with a stage1, taking it to 180BHP.  A bit like the ABT edition S that has been released in Germany.   Not seen any Stage1s in the UK yet though, so let me know if you manage to get REVO to do it.

1 hour ago, Steve8O said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a couple showing the spoiler.  Nice bit of kit, and dead easy to install.

EBC turbo grooved discs with greenstuff pads are on, they look and perform great.

Also got the Maxton read valance but not a fan of it as it doesn't fit as flush as the other items from them and it just looks too 'stuck on' in my opinion.  The rear lower bumper was only £60 direct from Skoda, in a primed state ready for painting, so I bought a new one and some ABS plastic to make a custom one.  

Thanks for sending. Looks really good. Your car is giving me some ideas. Probably best to wait till It arrives first !

Regarding the rear lower bumper - would this be standard on the Monte Carlo ?

There are some 1.5s in Europe with a stage1, taking it to 180BHP.  A bit like the ABT edition S that has been released in Germany.   Not seen any Stage1s in the UK yet though, so let me know if you manage to get REVO to do it.

Will do. 
I think the edition S is 190bhp. I am sure this engine could be good for up to 200 - but at the moment I can only find a plug in box for it. Perhaps it’s still too new.

26 minutes ago, Simcity47 said:

Thanks for sending. Looks really good. Your car is giving me some ideas. Probably best to wait till It arrives first !

Regarding the rear lower bumper - would this be standard on the Monte Carlo ?

Rear lower bumper is same part on all models, just a different finish. MC is gloss black, the rest is textured grey.   I had mine custom finished in piano black.  But will be sanding it right back and priming it with custom diffuser fins instead of the Maxton Valance.  Will put some picks up of progress soon.

• Love it! 1

1 minute ago, Steve8O said:

Rear lower bumper is same part on all models, just a different finish. MC is gloss black, the rest is textured grey.   I had mine custom finished in piano black.  But will be sanding it right back and priming it with custom diffuser fins instead of the Maxton Valance.  Will put some picks up of progress soon.

Look forward to seeing it.

your car looks fantastic - and I bet it turns heads. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/04/2021 at 09:31, Steve8O said:

Absolutely 

Unfortunately I have ran out of attachment space, so I need to look into how I can manage my attachments on the forum, however for now you can see some pics here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R5PDKdsYFHH3KUMg8

Mod List:

Eibach ProKit lowering springs 30mm front and rear.

Eibach Spacers 15mm front and 20mm rear, with black gloss extended wheel bolts.

Stage1 Racingline OEM+ remap

Racingline cold air intake

Alloys painted in gloss black

Callipers painted in Rosso Red with Skoda Decal at front

Black magic front grille frame

Black magic front badge

Black skoda lettering on rear window

De-badged - Scala

Genuine skoda mud flaps added front and rear

Genuine skoda scala alu door sills 

Autobeam LED 5500k white fog lights

Audio upgrade;

AudioControl LC7i

MTX-TR450 4Ch Amp

MTX-TR65s Component speakers front and rear

MTX-RTP12 Active subwoofer on Vibe fast plug.

Still to come;

Longlife Cat-back exhaust 

Maxton Design front Splitter and Side diffusers, however I don't care for the rear valance from the kit so am waiting to see if maybe Rieger or TCS do a full rear diffuser as the ones for the new Octavia look great.

How you getting on with your new Scala?

How did you identify which eibach springs you need ? 
I have contacted eibach technical as there are 2 listed. The difference is the front axle payload - however the data sheet I have from Skoda simply lists “technically permissible maximum mass on each axle “ - which for mine states 900kg, whereas eibach say it should be 935 or 1010kg.

so do I assume it’s the lower of the two ?

don’t want to order the wrong ones !

also - where did you get the black front grille  badge from ? 

1 hour ago, Simcity47 said:

How did you identify which eibach springs you need ? 
I have contacted eibach technical as there are 2 listed. The difference is the front axle payload - however the data sheet I have from Skoda simply lists “technically permissible maximum mass on each axle “ - which for mine states 900kg, whereas eibach say it should be 935 or 1010kg.

so do I assume it’s the lower of the two ?

don’t want to order the wrong ones !

also - where did you get the black front grille  badge from ? 

What engine and gearbox do you have?

If you have 1.5 petrol, the 935kg version will be for the manual gearbox, and the 1010kg version will be for the DSG automatic gearbox.

Edited by Carlston

Recently I created my own custom diffuser for the Scala.  Main reason for this is that I bought the Maxton Design rear Valance to fit to the stock lower bumper panel, and it didn't fit flush and had an overall cheap feeling to it.  Sure enough after only a week it cracked, as I had put it under so much stress trying to fit it as flush as possible.  Instead of spending another 100+ on a new one I decided to approach skoda for the lower rear bumper and to my amazement the whole section was only 65GBP.  So decided I would rather purchase that and the materials and have a go at making a custom one.  Here is my journey.

I don't have pictures of the early stages but essentially I measured out the mid section of the bumper panel between the exhaust dummy ports,  I then divided this up for where I wanted the diffuser fins to be, used a depth gauge to get a profile shape onto cardboard and then cut that into shape as a template.

The rest is as follows

Cut fin shapes out of ABS 12mm plastic using jigsaw, then use a rasp/file/80p sandpaper to refine.

spacer.png

The 2 center and 2 outer fins were the same shape. 

spacer.png

Using masking tape to check fitment

spacer.png

I then pre-drilled holes for standard VAG hex screws using small spring clamps, cleaned the area with isopropanol and lined the joint with Gorilla Epoxy glue and mounted the fins into position

spacer.png

Fin mounted using screws and epoxy 

spacer.png

All fins mounted on and panel sanded down with 180P sandpaper, waiting for a small strip of ABS to arrive to extend the bumper

spacer.pngspacer.png

3mm ABS strip arrived was cut to shape and placed to extend the bumper (purpose of this is to hide underglow LED strips as bulbs were previously visible when mounted)

Using U-pol Plast-X filler to fill holes, and refine the shape.  This stuff stinks! Immediately took it outside.

spacer.png

Initial pass with filler, definitely put too much on, but learning as we go.

9tfpB4O.jpg

After a lot of sanding, using 80p, 180p, 340p and 420p sandpaper

Excuse the dark dots, it was raining as I got it in the car to take for priming/painting.

tLt1dyw.jpg

For the final stage, I got the good fold at Berkhamsted Bodyshop to use a builder primer, do a final sand pass ready for painting and the paint it in gloss piano black.

Here are the results

1jGSZ4p.jpg

ULP2z3i.jpg

1z5tROW.jpg

It is not perfect, and there are things I would do better second time around of course.  But it is hand done, by me, fully custom one of a kind.  I love it, think it looks way better than the Maxton one.

Hope you all enjoy seeing the process.

Oh and I am a 3D artist in his late 30s with an interest in DIY,  I am by no means skilled at this type of thing, just watched some youtube tips and tried my best.  If you have the time, don't be afraid to give things a go.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2

On 03/03/2022 at 16:30, Steve8O said:

Recently I created my own custom diffuser for the Scala.  Main reason for this is that I bought the Maxton Design rear Valance to fit to the stock lower bumper panel, and it didn't fit flush and had an overall cheap feeling to it.  Sure enough after only a week it cracked, as I had put it under so much stress trying to fit it as flush as possible.  Instead of spending another 100+ on a new one I decided to approach skoda for the lower rear bumper and to my amazement the whole section was only 65GBP.  So decided I would rather purchase that and the materials and have a go at making a custom one.  Here is my journey.

I don't have pictures of the early stages but essentially I measured out the mid section of the bumper panel between the exhaust dummy ports,  I then divided this up for where I wanted the diffuser fins to be, used a depth gauge to get a profile shape onto cardboard and then cut that into shape as a template.

The rest is as follows

Cut fin shapes out of ABS 12mm plastic using jigsaw, then use a rasp/file/80p sandpaper to refine.

spacer.png

The 2 center and 2 outer fins were the same shape. 

spacer.png

Using masking tape to check fitment

spacer.png

I then pre-drilled holes for standard VAG hex screws using small spring clamps, cleaned the area with isopropanol and lined the joint with Gorilla Epoxy glue and mounted the fins into position

spacer.png

Fin mounted using screws and epoxy 

spacer.png

All fins mounted on and panel sanded down with 180P sandpaper, waiting for a small strip of ABS to arrive to extend the bumper

spacer.pngspacer.png

3mm ABS strip arrived was cut to shape and placed to extend the bumper (purpose of this is to hide underglow LED strips as bulbs were previously visible when mounted)

Using U-pol Plast-X filler to fill holes, and refine the shape.  This stuff stinks! Immediately took it outside.

spacer.png

Initial pass with filler, definitely put too much on, but learning as we go.

9tfpB4O.jpg

After a lot of sanding, using 80p, 180p, 340p and 420p sandpaper

Excuse the dark dots, it was raining as I got it in the car to take for priming/painting.

tLt1dyw.jpg

For the final stage, I got the good fold at Berkhamsted Bodyshop to use a builder primer, do a final sand pass ready for painting and the paint it in gloss piano black.

Here are the results

1jGSZ4p.jpg

ULP2z3i.jpg

1z5tROW.jpg

It is not perfect, and there are things I would do better second time around of course.  But it is hand done, by me, fully custom one of a kind.  I love it, think it looks way better than the Maxton one.

Hope you all enjoy seeing the process.

Oh and I am a 3D artist in his late 30s with an interest in DIY,  I am by no means skilled at this type of thing, just watched some youtube tips and tried my best.  If you have the time, don't be afraid to give things a go.

Where did you get your black front Skoda grille from ? And was it easy to swap over ? 

1 hour ago, Simcity47 said:

Where did you get your black front Skoda grille from ? And was it easy to swap over ? 

No it's a pain in the butt to swap, the whole front bumper has to come off.

Your MC has a black grille though doesn't it?

I got mine from what was superskoda.com (now kopacek.com)  but I got it before brexit so was still able to import parts hassle free.  If I was looking for it now I think the best bet would be to contact Dennis Horton parts team in Lincoln.  They run a specific parts website - theskodashop.co.uk - and although they don't have the Scala Black Magic grille frame on the site, they do have the version for the Kamiq, at only 60GBP which is a very good price.

No it's a pain in the butt to swap, the whole front bumper has to come off.

Your MC has a black grille though doesn't it?

I got mine from what was superskoda.com (now kopacek.com)  but I got it before brexit so was still able to import parts hassle free.  If I was looking for it now I think the best bet would be to contact Dennis Horton parts team in Lincoln.  They run a specific parts website - theskodashop.co.uk - and although they don't have the Scala Black Magic grille frame on the site, they do have the version for the Kamiq, at only 60GBP which is a very good price.

Sorry. I typed too quick ! 
I meant the black badge.

where did you get it from ?

Yes - it does have the black grille

as standard - thankfully as it sounds a pain to change.

10 hours ago, Simcity47 said:

Sorry. I typed too quick ! 
I meant the black badge.

where did you get it from ?

Yes - it does have the black grille

as standard - thankfully as it sounds a pain to change.

The badge came from SuperSkoda.com, now kopacek.com  , I think they still ship small items like that to the UK so you should be good.  To replace it use a hairdryer or low temperature heat gun to heat the badge,  Then use something very fine like fishing wire to slide in behind the badge and cut away the double sided tape, then use a plastic trim tool with a thin cloth between it and the metal work to lever the badge off.

Use a glue and tar remover to get the remainder of the double sided off and then clean with isopropanol.

You will see there are three dimples in the bonnet, the new badge will have 3 little protruding balls of plastic to align with the bonnet, once in place you simply push down and that's it done.

• Love it! 1

Referring back to your springs that you fitted - you commented that you fitted spacers.

was that for aesthetic purposes or for handling reasons ?

wondering if I can lower without the spacers. Appreciate it would be more tucked under the arches without. 

22 hours ago, Simcity47 said:

Referring back to your springs that you fitted - you commented that you fitted spacers.

was that for aesthetic purposes or for handling reasons ?

wondering if I can lower without the spacers. Appreciate it would be more tucked under the arches without. 

Just for aesthetic purposes, naturally it does very slightly improve handling as it is widening the track and lowering the center of mass.

On the Eibachs I had 20mm each side at the rear, and 16mm each side at the front which looked fairly flush with the bodywork.

On the Bilsteins I have 22mm each side at the rear and 20mm each side at the front due to additional camber occuring from the ride height.

And have used 45mm and 50mm extended wheel bolts from Bimecc.

The other alternative is to switch to an aftermarket alloy moving from the stock 7j to an 8j or 8.5j with a correct ET to get the fitment you desire, although this can be considerably more money than spacers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2022 at 09:33, Steve8O said:

The badge came from SuperSkoda.com, now kopacek.com  , I think they still ship small items like that to the UK so you should be good.  To replace it use a hairdryer or low temperature heat gun to heat the badge,  Then use something very fine like fishing wire to slide in behind the badge and cut away the double sided tape, then use a plastic trim tool with a thin cloth between it and the metal work to lever the badge off.

Use a glue and tar remover to get the remainder of the double sided off and then clean with isopropanol.

You will see there are three dimples in the bonnet, the new badge will have 3 little protruding balls of plastic to align with the bonnet, once in place you simply push down and that's it done.

I have seen some black Skoda badges on eBay - for a tempting £12. I take it the one you got from the Czech Republic is a better quality and original ? 
i am half tempted to get the cheaper one as it’s cheap and quick to deliver..the pictures however do make it look very shiny and glossy black. 
I guess I am looking for vindication to pay the extra over the eBay item !

Haha,  yes the one from CR is an original with genuine skoda black magic metallic paint so it fits perfectly with the black grille frame.  It is a lot of money for a badge though I agree.  

• Thanks 1

On 18/01/2021 at 11:43, Steve8O said:

See this thread for what I have been up to with my project recently.

Continuing from my audio project I decided to upgrade the boot to a showcar worthy install.

First step, take all measurements from boot and put into 3D software to design false floor with window and calculate volume capacity from a wheel well enclosure

YJz5Aoz.jpg

Volume of box calculated at 41l so had to shop for a sub that would perform well in this volume capacity.

Matching up an Amp with a new sub I had to decide how to mount the new Amp based on pre-existing wiring.

I used 6mm MDF between carpet and wheel arch to mount and support the amp, feels very solid.  Also can use the tether point to bring wires through and keep everything hidden.

00pB8uB.jpg

Next up was to relay the designs on to 6mm MDF for the floor and 18mm MDF for the enclosure

UHH00Nj.jpg

VrNKNQp.jpg

Proceeding with the floor first.  I used a router to cut out the window and retain the inset panel.

B6fKweE.jpg

Test it fits

IiLy5yR.jpg

Cut window frame from second layer of 6mm MDF and cut window to see the sub through.  Used router again and chamfer bit to create a more professional finish.

I had also pre cut some lettering from 2mm ABS plastic.  The SSUK is the watermark I use for my instagram images with user name @skodascalauk

This was measured and printed on to card, cut out and glued onto the plastic which was then cut out using a small fine handsaw.

YgalIyv.jpg

Using contact adhesive I covered the lower layer with sub window in vinyl white leatherette fabric. Using a heat gun to gently warm the fabric over the lettering and give a finished embossed effect.

A5D8P4O.jpg

The top floor was then trimmed in anthracite carpet to match the stock boot lining.

Moving on to the sub enclosure I used a router with circular jig to create the top wall of the box, I believe this is called the stacking method.

NnlcijF.jpg

The other walls were then cut to size using my father-in-laws table saw.  The rings were stacked using wood glue and nails, then walls were held up with clamps while the wood glue set.

XXY3W4m.jpg

All walls assembled, phonocar tube port added and phonocar terminal. Top of box left to go on once the hole for the sub was cut out, again using the router.

ulXwD7q.jpg

I nailed all the walls through the base and the top panels of the box to enforce the structure rather than simply relying on wood glue.

jai90ro.jpg

Trimmed the top and bottom in black carpet, and cut a panel to run around the sides.  Contact adhesive used with a wallpaper roller and plastic trim tools.

BnhDH1r.jpg

With the box fully trimmed, time to wire it up.  Using a twin core cable with 2.5mm pos and neg cables inside, nice and tidy.

9y5obcI.jpg

Fitted into wheel well and wiring up to the amp.

bx4NMOd.jpg

The big reveal.

@JohnnyType2would love to get your opinion as you were such a huge influence on the whole of this project.

I know a lot of people will poop their pants at getting rid of the spare wheel for a sub enclosure, but this works for me.  Nearly 90% of my journeys are under 6 miles these days.  Should I run into a situation I will either call a friend or taxi to take me to pick up the spare from my garage.  On longer journeys I will simply put the spare in the boot on the new boot floor or in one of the rear passenger footwells to ensure that I have it with me.  But for the most part I now have a full boot space again for practicality of daily life plus a full custom install.

Hope you all like it 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Steve8O said:

@JohnnyType2would love to get your opinion as you were such a huge influence on the whole of this project.

I know a lot of people will poop their pants at getting rid of the spare wheel for a sub enclosure, but this works for me.  Nearly 90% of my journeys are under 6 miles these days.  Should I run into a situation I will either call a friend or taxi to take me to pick up the spare from my garage.  On longer journeys I will simply put the spare in the boot on the new boot floor or in one of the rear passenger footwells to ensure that I have it with me.  But for the most part I now have a full boot space again for practicality of daily life plus a full custom install.

Hope you all like it 

absolutely awesome job! i am envious of your Cad/3D skills, (im learning Revit at the moment) i'd love to build an add another 10" on the opposite side of the boot using the same techniques. 

this is definitely next level! well done! B)

will you be taking orders soon? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

absolutely awesome job! i am envious of your Cad/3D skills, (im learning Revit at the moment) i'd love to build an add another 10" on the opposite side of the boot using the same techniques. 

this is definitely next level! well done! B)

will you be taking orders soon? :D

haha, I actually wouldn't mind doing more builds.  I found this really great fun and very rewarding.  A lot of things I was doing for the very first time, so improvements could be made for sure, especially with the upholstery.  The carpet and vinyl are the bit everyone sees but are very tricky to get looking professional.

Good for you getting stuck into Revit.  The planning is by far the key part, if all your measurements are on point and you have planned well then the rest is just following the path you have laid out for yourself.

• 4 months later...

Hi the car looks great I’ve already ordered the mud flaps the black grill surround. Just bought my 2019 Scala which had sports seats steering wheel glass roof with tailgate in glass. It also has the 18 “ vega alloys. Like you I thought they would look good in black. I noticed someone mentioned the power tailgate. I’m interested in doing that does anyone have any info on purchasing and fitting? Also I would like to retro fit some ambient lighting, again does anyone have any info on doing that please? Looking forward to seeing more pics .

Thanks Dave