Skoda want €1400 for a new a/c compressor

CJay

Good thread..

I just got my 2008 Octavia 1.9tdi back from the garage for an aircon re-gas, he checked for leaks which was all good, filled it up, found the compressor clutch was shot so took the gas out, he said its not that hard to change as can be done from underneath but the garage want £580+VAT which includes new compressor.

So if I was to do it, is it as easy as he said? If I can take off the compressor could I just change the clutch or is it easier to replace the whole compressor?

Cheers..

I very much doubt that your compressor has a clutch and if I am right then you should take everything that the garage says with a pinch of salt, already they have topped up their R134a bottle with your valuable refrigerant = stolen.

Very unlikely that R134A can be reused, the refrigerant is a complex 'cocktail' of gasses and lube-oil which cannot be guaranteed to remain in correct proportions after use. Not to say that some disreputable operators don't do this to save on disposal costs however.

Edited by Warrior193
Typo

I have noticed that since the garage has had a play with the aircon my main fain intermittently comes on full blast like its really hot even when the engine isn't that warm, I had a word with the guy who worked on it and he cant understand why as he never touched anything to do with the fan.

Could be that all the gas has been taken out the aircon and this is causing problems?

Also I got the part number for my compressor - 5KO 820 803 A, I see there are lots of other compressors with very similar part numbers like 1KO 820 803 A or 5KO 820 803 B would these also fit?

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

That would be like replacing a blown fuse with a paper clip without asking yourself why did it fail.