HELP Battery Replacement on 2008 1.9 Tdi

Muff

My old battery finally given up the ghost and I have bought a new battery and I cannot for the life of me remove the plastic cover from the top .  Looked on internet and any videos showing battery replacement are for older models or different engines.  So how exactly (pictures would help) do I take this cover off?

• 4 months later...

I was actually searching around to get information on the correct battery because my Skoda Fabia Mk 2 1.9 TDI may actually have the incorrect battery (bought used). The websites actually come up with differing information on whether it is a 96 or 27 code battery required. Came across this thread in the process, so thought I would contribute.

I have had my battery out to charge a couple of times (live in a flat). I fiddled around for quite a while in the first instance.

A long flat head screwdriver should take care of the plastic clip on fastenings on both sides and the back. It is a bit fiddly for sure.

There is a part of the casing that slides off the top as one unit (has all the cables going into it) to the right as you face the car. I didn't realise this at first and was thinking I would have to undo a few more cables. This enables the cables to be slid out of the harness they are in along with the part detached from the top of the casing.

The connecters to the terminals go over the top of the casing, so these will need to be detached before removing the plastic casing, and I think the positive lead needs to be further disconnected with a 10mm socket because the leads are connected over the top of the casing.

To remove the battery retainer I used a longish extension on a ratchet with a 13mm socket (if I remember correctly, something like that anyway).

I had an issue with power windows being deactivated following replacement. The owner manual gives instructions how to reset.

Hope this helps anyone attempting a battery change.