Drivers Seat Foam Breaking Up

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and recently bought a 2019 Octavia SE. It has covered roughly 8800 miles, and is tidy inside and out. 

There is one strange problem, in that the drivers seat base foam appears to be breaking up. It has been to the dealer who said bolster wear wouldn't be covered under the warranty, not too surprising, however the foam in the base (where you actually sit), seems to be turning to dust, which was what my concern was. You can see that the stitching does not have the defined indents where in cars on higher milage they are. 

Has anybody had this before? I have tried to search for it but turn up a blank - plenty of topics on bolster wear but not about the base. I have tried to illustrate what I am talking about in the pictures, and the 'grains' that you can see in the footwell carpet. 

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

This is just my take on this. 

Unless you missed a zero off the milage, its either someone on the heavier side had the car, or its been used as a delivery vehicle with someone getting in and out of the car alot. 

I did refoam a worn bolster like the one in your picture but of course you will have to take the seat out. I got the foam from a local furniture maker. There are firms that will do it for you. 

I just thought, you could buy some leather covers, but it is just covering up the problem. 

Anyway thats my take. 😷

6 minutes ago, NZ100 said:

This is just my take on this. 

Unless you missed a zero off the milage, its either someone on the heavier side had the car, or its been used as a delivery vehicle with someone getting in and out of the car alot. 

I did refoam a worn bolster like the one in your picture but of course you will have to take the seat out. I got the foam from a local furniture maker. There are firms that will do it for you. 

I just thought, you could buy some leather covers, but it is just covering up the problem. 

Anyway thats my take. 😷

Its the first - the car was on motability, the person was a wheelchair user, had it 6 months and unfortunately it looks like they passed away. 

My concern isn't the bolster it is the foam that makes the base 'plump', surely regardless of the weight of the person sat on it it wouldn't break up. 

Just now, PetrolDave said:

Did the previous driver use a turntable to help them get onto the seat and then turn into the driving position?

That could put unusual load/stress onto the seat base.

I am not sure - I have to be honest I have no idea how cars are adapted, I do know that it had hand controls fitted. That could be the case, I just need to have an idea of what could have caused it to argue it with the supplying dealer.

Welcome to the forum.

I think @PetrolDavehas hit the nail on the head as far as a the possibility of a turntable used by the original driver.

Speak with the Warranty Manager that is responsible for the Dealership you are dealing with and not just the Sales or Service Staff as you need support with a warranty claim.

Sadly i think you are just stuck with the expense of any remedial work as it is a case of wear and tear.

It can happen with Ex Motability cars, Fleet or just private users vehicles.

Thanks @e-Roottoot - I think so too, I still think I will get the seat fixed under the guarantee offered by the dealer that supplied it (it was a car supermarket), I just could not think of why the base foam would break up. 

I am happy with the car, the rest of it is unmarked and it was the lowest price in the UK in the end so I can't complain! 

@Roller89

Maybe for the same reason that my 2020 Motabiity car with under 6,000 miles done since August has a seat that is getting badly saggy.

I am 115 kg or so with artificial leg on and i plonk down hard onto the seat.

I have had cars that i have had for as much as 17 years and the seats were like new, and others that the seats were gubbed by the time they went back at 3 years or sooner.

(When i have bought Ex Motability cars at auction it is something i check, but not only the drivers seat as the person that leased the car can be a passenger and their seat can be in a poor state.)

Edited by e-Roottoot

@e-Roottoot - Only a couple of weeks so it is still under the '30-day no quibble guarantee', I tried the Skoda dealer first as it is at the end of my street. I will try the selling garage tomorrow and see how I get on. 

I agree with the posts about disabled getting in and out, saw a lady getting out of her car into a wheelchair, she was using what looked like a plank of wood to slide across, thought it was very clever. 

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You can reject the car within the first 30 days if it isnt fit for purpose. Clearly that seat isnt in the condition it is in. I would tell the garage if it isnt fixed before the 30 day limit then you will reject the car and look elsewhere. Put it in writing hand delivered or posted with proof of delivery or on an email to cover yourself. 

They can't argue or quibble as it is law and they cannot go against it. If they agree to do any work get it in writing what they will do and a time limit. You have to be very blunt with companies these days and get it written down as proof, in case it ever got as far as court. It also shows you are taking it very seriously by documenting everything. The only resolution I would be happy with is a new seat being fitted and nothing less.

Dont be afraid to escalate it. I once escalated a complaint to the CO of Evans Halshaw and I won my complaint.

Edited by Ecomatt