1.5tsi vs 2.0tdi

andyste1

Hi all, my last 3-4 cars have all been 2.0tdi engines - not sure why, just set in my ways I guess. Current car is a mk3 Octavia.

I'm now looking to change cars although I'm undecided on what to get. I'm leaning towards a Karoq, possibly a Kodiaq (might be a bit too big though!), or might stick with another Octavia. 

Whichever I go for I'd like something with the same "oomph" as my Octavia, so it looks like another 2.0tdi although the 1.5tsi seems to have a comparable 0-60. Is that correct? How do they compare in the real world? I was always under the impression that a diesel will always have plenty of power, even when accelerating on hilly roads. Is that still the case or are petrol engines just as good these days?

11 hours ago, andyste1 said:

Hi all, my last 3-4 cars have all been 2.0tdi engines - not sure why, just set in my ways I guess. Current car is a mk3 Octavia.  I'm now looking to change cars although I'm undecided on what to get. I'm leaning towards a Karoq, possibly a Kodiaq (might be a bit too big though!), or might stick with another Octavia.   Whichever I go for I'd like something with the same "oomph" as my Octavia, so it looks like another 2.0tdi although the 1.5tsi seems to have a comparable 0-60. Is that correct? How do they compare in the real world? I was always under the impression that a diesel will always have plenty of power, even when accelerating on hilly roads. Is that still the case or are petrol engines just as good these days?

Some data from a French website, sadly you need to go via a European server now asit does not work from UK anymore......

I find mine (150 hp version) has plenty of poke.  I think one might find a difference with a full car of people and luggage but then I would set the car in "Normal" mode rather than my usual "Eco" mode and then put in to "Sport" mode when I am on the twistys.  I have Octavia VRSs, and Fabia VRS.  Best Skoda I have had is probably the 1.8 TSI with the 7 speed as a L&K.

150 mph on the clock in an Octy and still accelerating is impressive.  Torque is fine in the turbo petrols and if you  stick to DSG you can always switch modes at will and get the box to exploit what torques is there.

Only if I was towing would I now get a diesel particularly as the petrols are so good on mpg and the 7 speed dry box is low maintenance compared to the 6 speed wet. Done about quarter of a million miles in diesels, postly manual but a one DSG and quarter of a million in petrols, mainly the 7 speed DSG.   Liked the 1.9 PDI, thought the 2 CR was a bit flat with all those counter balancing and did much less mpg than the 1.9 PD ie 60 mpg was easy with those in the Fabia VRS, A3, A4 etc where as only got 50 mpg or so in the Altea XL/Toledo 2 l CR.   

SUVs do get a bit of a mpg hit, new Mk 4 Octavia has a drag cofficient of 0.24 in the hatch hence it phenominal top speed !    

I love my current 7 speed Octy 3 and average well over 50 mpg, oft 55 mpg ish. 

ZEPREF......................................................................................................................................................................

Vehicles

Skoda Octavia III 2.0 TDi DSG

V

S

Skoda Octavia III 1.5 TSi DSG

2013 - 2019

2017 - 2019

26 950 €

27 490 €

Gearbox:

automatic 6 gear
with sequential mode

automatic 7 gear

Power

150 PS @ 3500

150 PS @ 5000

Torque

320 Nm @ 1750

250 Nm @ 1500

Weight claimed / verified EU 1

1350 kg / 1475 kg 1

1210 kg / 1469 kg 1

Weight/Power ratio

9.8 kg/PS 1

9.8 kg/PS 1

1 Weight (EU) heaviest verified in running order = Weight with 90% fuel load + 75Kg (driver & luggage)

Top Speed claimed:

214 kph

220 kph

0 to 100 kph claimed:

8.6 s.

8.3 s.

Average Verified Performance*

400m

16‚1 s.

16‚7 s.

Km

29‚Ƽ s.

З0‚Ƽ s.

0 to 100

8‚4 s.

8‚Ƽ s.

0 to 130

14 s.

1З‚9 s.

0 to 160

22‚Ƽ s.

22‚З s.

40 to 140 min

1З‚Ƽ s.

1З‚7 s.

80 to 120 min

Ƽ‚8 s.

Ƽ‚8 s.

80 to 120 in KD

Ƽ‚8 s.

Ƽ‚8 s.

80 to 180 min

24‚З s.

2Ƽ‚1 s.

100 to 0

ЗƼ‚З m.

ЗƼ‚2 m.

130 to 0

60 m.

64 m.

Kph as default unit

* Average measurements (at real speed) of several vehicles based on tests from the following automotive magazines: Auto Motor & Sport, Auto, Auto Zeitung, Auto Bild, Automobile Magazine

VERDICT

Theory

Accelerations

Flexibility

ZePerfs Index

Perf/Price Ratio

Note: These values are average and identify a trend... For detailled ranges of values you can use the battle comparison feature: Battle Octavia III 2.0 TDi DSG vs Octavia III 1.5 TSi DSG

The manual versions (1.5 TSI not avialable or 150 hp 1.4 TSI 

Vehicles

Skoda Octavia III 2.0 TDi

V

S

Skoda Octavia III 1.4 TSi

2013 - 2019

2013 - 2017

27 240 €

23 090 €

Gearbox:

manual 6 gear

manual 6 gear

Power

150 PS @ 3500

140 PS @ 4500

Torque

340 Nm @ 1750

250 Nm @ 1500

Weight claimed / verified EU 1

1255 kg / 1495 kg 1

1255 kg / 1374 kg 1

Weight/Power ratio

10 kg/PS 1

9.8 kg/PS 1

1 Weight (EU) heaviest verified in running order = Weight with 90% fuel load + 75Kg (driver & luggage)

Top Speed claimed:

218 kph

215 kph

0 to 100 kph claimed:

8.4 s.

8.4 s.

Average Verified Performance*

400m

16‚2 s.

16 s.

0 to 80

Ƽ‚9 s.

Ƽ‚7 s.

0 to 100

8‚Ƽ s.

8‚4 s.

0 to 120

11‚9 s.

11‚6 s.

0 to 140

16‚4 s.

16 s.

40 to 140 min

14‚4 s.

1З‚4 s.

80 to 120 min

Ƽ‚9 s.

Ƽ‚8 s.

80 to 120 in 5

10 s.

8‚8 s.

80 to 120 in 6

12‚Ƽ s.

10‚8 s.

80 to 180 min

2Ƽ‚8 s.

27‚1 s.

100 to 0

З6‚1 m.

З4‚6 m.

Kph as default unit

* Average measurements (at real speed) of several vehicles based on tests from the following automotive magazines: Auto Motor & Sport, Auto Zeitung, Autopista

Fastest laps times on tracks :

Auto Zeitung

1:51.40

1:52.80

VERDICT

Theory

Accelerations

Flexibility

Track

ZePerfs Index

Perf/Price Ratio

Note: These values are average and identify a trend... For detailled ranges of values you can use the battle comparison feature: Battle Octavia III 2.0 TDi vs Octavia III 1.4 TSi

Edited by lol-lol

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a petrol vRS Octavia Mk 3 to a Karok 1.5TSi SE-L trim, 220 bhp to 150. The in-gear acceleration is obviously poorer in the Karoq, but in non-frenetic driving the 1.5 petrol is fine. As with the Octavia, standing starts can produce wheelspin, and since I guess the diesel might have a slightly heavier front end, that effect might not be so noticeable. 

The Karoq is as roomy inside as the Octavia, the boot is smaller - but then what isn't after the Octavia - but still big.

In SE-L spec the rear seats come out so the space is more versatile.  If you're thinking of one of these crossovers/SUVs/whatever you want to call them, the Karoq is a great choice. It's understated, no quirky looks, still has proper buttons and knobs for moast controls, and does the job. It took me a few months to like the car, after my black vRS, but I'm really glad I changed. 

The engine characteristics are obviously different between diesel and petrol. I'd never have a diesel unless it was an automatic, but that's just my preference. Apart from I can't stand the smell of the stuff, so I'm prepared to pay the price in fuel consumption. I strongly suggest testing both, but TBH the 1.5 petrol is fine. For me. But I'd love another 20 bhp or so, petrol or diesel.

• 2 weeks later...