Interference engine or not ?

2 hours ago, Westbury63 said:

Dont worry, our Skoda dealers have worked out how to charge a lot too! Nice showrooms and free coffee is paid for dearly. Places to avoid once the car is out of warranty.

Weirdly though, it can be worth calling them for parts as they are not always any more than aftermarket.

The main issue here is Skoda refuses the sale of spares over the counter AFAIK. They insist you to get your car's work done in the ASC if you want OEM spares... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, srane4213 said:

The main issue here is Skoda refuses the sale of spares over the counter AFAIK. They insist you to get your car's work done in the ASC if you want OEM spares... 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Fortunately I have found few sites who deliver OEM as well as aftermarket parts and my experience of these sites is fairly good till now. One of them is boodmo.com.

Prices are in fair and acceptable range for products needed in regular maintenance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, srane4213 said:

That is very strange. ALL manufacturers in the UK have an active spares department. It makes them money.

I see from the boodmo.com that the 2004-2008 Skoda Ocatavia is listed as the Skoda Laura. Unusual. 

22 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

That is very strange. ALL manufacturers in the UK have an active spares department. It makes them money.

I see from the boodmo.com that the 2004-2008 Skoda Ocatavia is listed as the Skoda Laura. Unusual. 

The mk1 octy in India was called the Octavia and the mk2 was Laura 

I wonder why they changed it?

Did the MK1 sell when in India? Are there many still on the road?

Sadly, in the UK, the mk1 is becoming a fairly rare sight these days. I miss my MK1, had it for 12 yrs! Best car I have ever owned. :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

I wonder why they changed it?

Did the MK1 sell when in India? Are there many still on the road?

Sadly, in the UK, the mk1 is becoming a fairly rare sight these days. I miss my MK1, had it for 12 yrs! Best car I have ever owned. :biggrin:

Not a very rare sight ..you can see many of them on roads even today....but high cost of spares and skoda being considered as a luxury brand resulting in high labour costs even locally are the main reasons why people tend to stay away from the octy....being a DIY guy helps in these situations.... atleast your labour costs are saved...but you can't expect everyone to have all the tools required for the vehicle...as most cars in India have standard bolts, screws.....The German cars here are famous for the torx bolts.... Many mechs here don't have the proper tools...and you can't expect them to have special tools for a single car. Similarly, the American cars are famous for Allen bolts. My toolbox has been updated over the years by me working on my own vehicles.... buying one tool at a time as and when required...so I do most of the stuff myself.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, srane4213 said:

Not a very rare sight ..you can see many of them on roads even today....but high cost of spares and skoda being considered as a luxury brand resulting in high labour costs even locally are the main reasons why people tend to stay away from the octy....being a DIY guy helps in these situations.... atleast your labour costs are saved...but you can't expect everyone to have all the tools required for the vehicle...as most cars in India have standard bolts, screws.....The German cars here are famous for the torx bolts.... Many mechs here don't have the proper tools...and you can't expect them to have special tools for a single car. Similarly, the American cars are famous for Allen bolts. My toolbox has been updated over the years by me working on my own vehicles.... buying one tool at a time as and when required...so I do most of the stuff myself.

Skoda used to be the butt of many jokes in the UK, but the Favorit/Felicia and more so the Mk1 Octi were the cars to change all that for good. Theses days they are a repsected brand, but without the snob value.

We have lots of cheap parts for the cars as they get older. A thriving aftermarket too.

Thanks for your replies. It is interesting to learn about running a Skoda in a different market. :)

6 hours ago, Westbury63 said:

Skoda used to be the butt of many jokes in the UK, but the Favorit/Felicia and more so the Mk1 Octi were the cars to change all that for good. Theses days they are a repsected brand, but without the snob value.

We have lots of cheap parts for the cars as they get older. A thriving aftermarket too.

Thanks for your replies. It is interesting to learn about running a Skoda in a different market. :)

My Octy is 15 years old now.....and still I get such looks from people that if I'm driving a Skoda then I must be rolling in cash 😂😂😂

Btw here's a pic of my Octy...just after a wash and thorough polishing session.😎😎✌️✌️

669480781_IMG_20200904_175131_5332.thumb.jpg.48e5c55da6da2c74eefa5c9949b078bf.jpg

• Like 1

Looks in really good condition, thanks for posting the photo. ;) The MK1 has a small following here, but to be honest, it would get many envious looks other than from a select few, me included.

i always have a smile to myself when i see a mk1 octy still on the road, esp if its been kept looking pretty well. as i know what it can do and what its probably been through 

they are getting rarer and rarer mostly due to easily fixable NCT (MOT) failures.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, srane4213 said:

My Octy is 15 years old now.....and still I get such looks from people that if I'm driving a Skoda then I must be rolling in cash 😂😂😂

Btw here's a pic of my Octy...just after a wash and thorough polishing session.😎😎✌️✌️

Old Octy has a swag when it rolls.

Its an attention seeking machine.

Mine is 16 years old now. Here's a pic

IMG_4684 4.jpg

• Like 2